Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's KITCHENERS

(1000 Posts)
soop Sat 14-May-16 12:31:40

Here we are again...happy as can be...all good friends and jolly good company.

A very warm welcome to one and all. smile flowers wine brew cupcake

wot Sat 14-May-16 14:28:03

Hello!!
I just spent an hour making asparagus soup and it tastes absolutely AWFUL! Also, I unscrewed the blender wrongly and ended up with thick, gloopy soup on the worktop and floor! Just to get us started on a happy note!

thatbags Sat 14-May-16 14:35:27

I made a blueberry, raspberry and Japanese knotweed crumble. It was delicious except for the knotweed, which was tasteless and chewy so MrBags and I picked those bits out. There weren't many. I don't know what the Japanese do to it to make it a delicacy, but clearly I didn't! You're supposed to be able to use the young stalks like rhubarb. hmm

Crafting Sat 14-May-16 14:39:10

Been out for a walk and thought I'd just pop in to see if Alea had any news, only to find we have a new "arrival" in the form of a new kitchen.smile

As Soop said, we'll wait for the champers until the wee one puts in an appearance. So for now I'll make a brew and a pot of coffee while we sit and wait. grin

Crafting Sat 14-May-16 14:42:37

Bags shock surely you can't eat it! We had Japanese knotweed along the road in front of our house and it was running under the paving and walls. Council had a real job getting rid of it. Hope it doesn't start setting down roots in your stomach hmm

Alea Sat 14-May-16 14:43:01

Oops! I am just about to go out to a local farm to buy some asparagus, some for eating tonight and what they refer to as "soup bits" which are all the skinny bendy mis sharpen stalks they can't bundle up. I make the soup with 1chopped onion, and 1 potato which I soften in butter, then tip the adparagus in and stock (Marigold veg or chicken if I have that in the freezer) and boil it up. I save some tips when Inwhizz it up just to make it look prettier. Fingers crossed it is not AWFUL envy , Wot.

wot Sat 14-May-16 15:00:31

My soup tasted SO salty! I didn't add any salt but used 2 Knorr chicken stock cubes and a chick stock pot thingy to make it tasty. Have thrown the blender in the bin!

wot Sat 14-May-16 15:01:26

I made it once before and it was delicious but I couldn't remember the recipe.

wot Sat 14-May-16 15:01:59

I might fish the blender out of the bin when I calm down.

soop Sat 14-May-16 15:16:13

wot Methinks that stock cubes do tend to be salty. I like asparagus. Sorry to hear that your soup was not a great success.

Alea smile

bags some time ago and we looked at a possible plot that was for sale in the village. Thank goodness someone pointed out Japanese knotweed. The land cannot be built on for a number of years. That weed is lethal. On the other hand, blueberries and raspberries (with full cream milk custard) have me drooling in anticipation of a big small portion. wink

Bellanonna Sat 14-May-16 15:18:13

Yes wot that was stock cube overkill. Not surprised it was so salty. I use the little gel pots, often the vegetable variety. I only put one in the soup maker and that seems to suit the amount of liquid the soup maker takes. Try again and better luck this time?

soop Sat 14-May-16 15:19:14

wot You've made me chortle.

I'm away to smarten myself up in readiness for the tea party. When we return, I shall pop in to see whether Alea's grandchild has decided that we've all suffered for far too long. (((hugs)))

kittylester Sat 14-May-16 15:19:55

Is that baby in this kitchen? Huh!!

Just about to make a tagine for visitors tonight and I've made a Raspberry and chocolate cream type thingy. I'll pop in later if there are any left overs.

soop Sat 14-May-16 15:20:24

Bellanonna thank you for the tip.

soop Sat 14-May-16 15:21:12

kitty My dish is on the kitchen table. smile

Crafting Sat 14-May-16 15:21:40

Soop I agree. I know bags knows her onions plants but it sounds dangerous to me. Should we allow bags in the kitchen - she might take root. On the other hand, we might have an ongoing supply of flapjacks grin

Crafting Sat 14-May-16 15:25:08

leftovers would be lovely kitty just make sure the greedy lot don't eat it all hmm if you can spare some that is.

wot Sat 14-May-16 15:43:21

The cream I bought to put an artistic, classy swirl on top of the Soup will now be eaten poured over bananas and maple syrup!!

NanaandGrampy Sat 14-May-16 15:53:00

All this food talk has made me peckish!!

We Have been to a place called the Cracker Barrel where they serve 'down home style' cooking which includes, fried apples with your bacon and eggs and the best 'biscuits' I have ever tasted.

But save me anything chocolate that's left over please :-)

thatbags Sat 14-May-16 17:03:09

Yes, it is edible. Link here to The Dreadable Edible. It seems my mistake was to treat it like rhubarb. I just chopped the stalks and froze them, thinking that would soften them enough, but you're supposed to boil them and puree them. Recipe on that page. You can add the puree to bread or eat it with cream or ice-cream. I shall continue my experiments and report back.

Seems you can eat the tubers too, and it can be cattle fodder.

wot Sat 14-May-16 17:36:09

Asparagus Saga...... after the first mouhful and the shock of the salt, the soup was quite nice! Even my partner approved and his usually a meat and two veg man! Retrieved blender from bin.

soop Sat 14-May-16 17:42:39

Ha ha. Well done, wot.

The tea party was lovely. The lady for whom it was given had numerous hugs and the likes. Good company and far too much delicious food.

I now need to log off until morning. I hope that all our Granspal Kitcheners enjoy a restful evening. It goes without saying that us lot are looking forward to news of a certain wee someone's entrance into the big, wide world. Sigh!

Thank you for your company. I shall catch up again tomorrow. smile moon

Tizliz Sat 14-May-16 18:19:03

Just want to stake a claim in the new extension, but busy with visitors and am helping run a dog show tomorrow. Made a lasagna for tomorrow dinner and pea and ham soup for the judges lunch, now I am being taken out to dinner - but guess who is driving?

Hopefully news of babies tomorrow

numberplease Sat 14-May-16 18:31:23

The telephone kiosk library is a great idea Soop, but sadly wouldn`t work in a lot of places, round here for instance, someone would just take the money from the honesty box, or the box itself.

kittylester Sat 14-May-16 19:23:01

Nutella brownies anyone? I've made them just in case.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion