Gransnet forums

Chat

elegance and flowers

(59 Posts)
whitewave Mon 23-May-16 20:38:50

Just watching Chelsea with my favourite person Monty Don. One thing you could never accuse him of is sartorial elegance, but I love his style. He is his own person.

He reminds me of the style adopted by Corbyn.

AlieOxon Mon 23-May-16 21:25:16

Yes I have just seen that, He is a bit like Corbyn.
Hurray, no Titchmarsh!

kittylester Mon 23-May-16 21:46:10

Being like Carbon isn't necessarily a recommendation but I agree, he's very comfy in his own skin.flowers

Greyduster Tue 24-May-16 07:48:40

I'm afraid I ordinarily go out of my way to avoid gardening programmes fronted by Monty Don - just something about him that annoys the hell out of me. And the way he was fawning over Cleve West in last night's Chelsea programme was embarrassing. I'm amazed that he didn't fall at his feet! Carol Klein and Rachel de
Thame for me.

Lona Tue 24-May-16 08:11:39

I love Monty but not keen on his arty farty side. Just stick to gardening Monty smile

whitewave Tue 24-May-16 08:16:54

He started off arty farty- he made jewellery. Really it is all of a piece as gardening is totally creative as well.

Just as well we aren't all the Same grey ? What would we talk about?

Anniebach Tue 24-May-16 08:21:09

, watch all Monty's programmes and agree with whitewave

Lona Tue 24-May-16 08:28:47

He's a very comforting man somehow, so calm.

BBbevan Tue 24-May-16 08:37:37

Those suits he wears are very expensive. It costs a lot to look vaguely scruffy.
I think he is great. Big fan

Lona Tue 24-May-16 08:49:00

Suits? I thought it was an old jacket from behind the kitchen door! grin

ginny Tue 24-May-16 08:57:39

He is a bit scruffy but I do like him and his dog, Nigel.
Now Carol Klein is another matter, she really irritates me. I go and do something else whilst she is skipping about with an inane grin on her face.

merlotgran Tue 24-May-16 09:13:09

We laughed at Monty Don's suit as well. I prefer him to Alan Titchmarsh though who is just too precious to be believed.

Cleve West is my favourite designer but so far I haven't seen much that takes my breath away this year.

I thought Carol Klein's outfit was ghastly. The pattern made her look as though she was suffering from a nasty skin disease.

I shall be glued all week. I love Chelsea.

Greyduster Tue 24-May-16 09:21:26

whitewavesmile; ginny smile

Lona Tue 24-May-16 09:46:30

I agree that Carol Klein is irritating, but I do like her wakky disregard for how she looks when she's gardening.

mumofmadboys Tue 24-May-16 09:50:05

Is anyone going to Chelsea? My favourite contemporary artist,N el What more is exhibiting there. I love her paintings, mainly flowers but also landscapes. Does anyone else know her work?

GandTea Tue 24-May-16 10:48:22

Take all sorts, I love Carol. Would love to go to Chelsea, but the crowds put me off. We like the Tatton Park show, much more lay back and easy to get to/park.

Maggymay Tue 24-May-16 11:31:16

I always watched Gardeners World when Geoff Hamilton presented it he was a true gardener.

When he died I feel it lost its way and I didn't watch it for several years until Monty started presenting it.

And although I don't think any of the presenters are as good as Geoff was Monty does a great job.

Elrel Tue 24-May-16 11:36:33

A bit sad, DD always gets me a ticket. Arthritic knee keeping me away this year so avidly watching tv programmes. More comfy and I don't miss plodding through crowds looking for somewhere to sit.
I have so many lovely memories of previous years. The fabulous flowers, the charm of the gardens, the Spirit of Islam reduced me to tears. Amazing people too, florist Simon Lycett in action, advice on basil from Jekka, the enthusiasm of Alan Gardner (The Autistic Gardener), Birmingham Parks people bursting with pride at their gold.
Who am I kidding? Waaaah, I wanna go!!

Greyduster Tue 24-May-16 11:58:10

mumofmadboys I have not heard of her; tried googling her but can't find anything. Is there a website?

Ana Tue 24-May-16 12:02:22

www.nelwhatmore.com/

Lovely work!

Greyduster Tue 24-May-16 12:41:07

Lovely pastel landscapes. Like the boats at Thornham - we'll be down there in July!

rubysong Tue 24-May-16 13:33:22

I watched a programme about Chelsea last night and wish these trendy designers wouldn't use so many weeds in their designs. I take out pink campion by the bucket load and certainly wouldn't be planting it. I have a lot of foxgloves and do leave some of them to flower but make sure they are taken out before they drop their seeds. I want to see gardens which have been planned to look like gardens, not areas of scrub from some exotic location. I like seeing the flower tent and some of the show gardens but some don't qualify as gardens IMHO.

BBbevan Wed 25-May-16 08:19:00

A weed is only a plant in the wrong placerubysong

Badenkate Wed 25-May-16 08:23:54

I must admit I was with Kate Adie about cottage gardens. They are what I would ideally choose. Didn't like the one that won Best Garden at all - someone on the radio this morning described it as a garden they could imagine associated with a hotel.

Anya Wed 25-May-16 08:43:03

Exactly BB and in fact campions and foxgloves are native wild flowers.