courgettes
yoghurt
rubbish bags
laundry detergent
pack of lego
bar of chocolate
peppermint teabags
hand cream

Of course I'd lost my list so now we have no bananas and grandkids will be hungry tomorrow. But at least they've got lego to distract them.

I don't think I've EVER gone in with a list and only stuck to what was on it. Is anyone actually this disciplined?

phoenix Thu 26-May-16 17:46:18

Can I plead the 5th Amendment, please, even though I'm not American?blush

shysal Thu 26-May-16 18:23:39

Guilty! Go into the local Co-op to spend a couple of pounds and end up minus £20.

loopylou Thu 26-May-16 18:41:42

Is that all?
I went into M&S for a bottle of milk and came out with a new settee and armchair ?
--and I forgot the milk--?

grannylyn65 Thu 26-May-16 18:45:29

I wouldn't mind so much if I actually purchased what was on the list; but between car and shop it always magically disappears confused

Indinana Thu 26-May-16 18:55:11

I put my list in my trousers pocket. I KNOW I did. And, of course, when I went to retrieve it at the supermarket, it wasn't there. I searched thoroughly, took my phone out and turned the pocket inside out. No list. Absolutely, unequivocally, categorically NOT THERE.

When I got home (admittedly with nearly everything that had been on the list), I put my hand in the same pocket AND THERE WAS THE LIST. Where had it been all the while I was in the shop? And how did it manage to sneak back in my pocket without me seeing? confused

MiniMouse Thu 26-May-16 18:55:27

Sorry, phoenix there's no 5th Amendment left, I've used it all up blush

grannylyn65 Thu 26-May-16 18:58:34

Indiana ?????

obieone Thu 26-May-16 20:35:28

I'm guilty. I nowadays consider my shopping list as the starting point!

Auntieflo Thu 26-May-16 20:36:13

I remember Mum saying that Dad went out to buy some lino, and came back having ordered a three piece suite.

minimo Thu 26-May-16 20:57:59

Exactly! What happens to the list as soon as we go into the shop!? It's one of life's mysteries...

adaunas Fri 27-May-16 09:40:27

Obieone - a starting point is a great idea for reducing guilt. I keep my list on my phone but still overspend. Worst extravagance? Went to buy a bookcase and came back with a suite and laminate flooring. The bills, the bills! Reminded me not to do that again, though to be fair the floor's still there and the suite lasted more than 10 years inspite of grandchildren and pets!

kittylester Fri 27-May-16 09:42:23

Dh once went out to buy a new suit and came back with hostess trolley! confused

ajanela Fri 27-May-16 09:43:18

I went to buy fish bought a car. I did buy the fish.
But yes the ever disappearing list?

Maggie725 Fri 27-May-16 09:47:03

I always take a list, but sometimes I think I've got everything on it, then get home without bread or some other necessary item. It's more likely to be my friend who puts extras in the trolley.

oznan Fri 27-May-16 09:54:51

When I remember to actually take my list,I do usually get everything on it plus one or two little extras.By the time I've finished though,the list is a crumpled,illegible mess.

Pamaga Fri 27-May-16 09:55:03

I am pretty good at sticking to my list but my OH is a sucker for all the BOGOFs and bargains. It is usually stuff we will use but our cupboards are groaning under the weight and we have to store some of the goods in the garage.

Worlass Fri 27-May-16 09:57:26

I don't even bother to make a list any more. I look upon it as a mind-sharpening exercise, remembering what I need. Hence, at the moment I am lacking supplies of milk, baking powder, vinegar and I can't remember what else! I do,however, have enough tea bags, loo blue, stock cubes and marmalade to supply the whole neighbourhood. Afraid my best intentions are usually sidetracked by spending too much time looking for new reading matter and assorted bargains in the local charity shops before getting down to the serious business of shopping.

dirgni Fri 27-May-16 10:06:34

GUILTY!
Does anyone have a purse that seems to eat cash?

MadMaisie Fri 27-May-16 10:10:14

Guilty as charged. I probably have enough shampoo, shower gel, soap, loo cleaner to last me for life.

tubbygran Fri 27-May-16 10:10:51

When the children were small, I went to buy farm eggs and came home with four hens. ????

hulahoop Fri 27-May-16 10:12:02

Keep saying must use list pantry and cupboard s packed . We went for coffee and ended up buying car . My dd dil both use lists but their fridges always look empty !!

paola Fri 27-May-16 10:12:15

I think I lose my list 8 times out of 10!

Mardler123 Fri 27-May-16 10:24:25

Never mind the purses that eat cash, what about the wardrobes that shrink your clothes.

Tricia89 Fri 27-May-16 10:30:56

Tubbygran. That's sounds super-efficient to me!