Gransnet forums

Chat

I am watching a disaster about to happen

(49 Posts)
whitewave Tue 31-May-16 06:55:26

The wind is blowing and blowing and blowing. I have a very large Pauls Himalayan Musk rambling up an old tree with honeysuckle. It is just about to collapse!!!!!! It is heaving with bud and would have been magnificent. Goodness knows what damage it will cause to the garden.

? This year so far it has been glorious. I am cheesed off!!!!!!!

thatbags Tue 31-May-16 07:06:08

Oh dear! Hope it survives. If it collapses will you be able to prop it up while it flowers and prune it later?

cornergran Tue 31-May-16 07:12:59

The tree or the rose collapsing? Hope either or both hold and as bags says, you can prop the rose up somehow. Gardens are supposed to be relaxing! I'd be cheesed off, too.

Falconbird Tue 31-May-16 07:13:04

Do you mean the tree is about to collapse or the Musk?

I had an old Lilac tree fall down quite unexpectedly some years ago. Luckily it fell in the night and no-one was hurt.

Anya Tue 31-May-16 07:13:37

Sorry to read that. But as bags says, if the worst happens it can be pruned right back and will hopefully recover to flower another year. That's nature.

ffinnochio Tue 31-May-16 07:14:52

Just what I was thinking. Oh dear!

A beautiful rose.

Nature doing a bit of natural pruning. Get out there with your secateurs later - it's roots will be well bedded in, so all won't be lost. It'll start over again, I'm sure.

whitewave Tue 31-May-16 07:21:45

I shall need more than my secateurs!

It is about 20ft wide and high!!!
When it flowers it is absolutely wonderful and so scented.
I an now worrying what it will take with it as there is an arch under it as well as all the hostas - looking brilliant and ferns plus a couple of other roses it is beginning to fall into. It is too big to prop.
It is now leaning to about 5ft off the ground the path leads to the back if the garden -
Oh oh oh!

ffinnochio Tue 31-May-16 07:27:12

Long extendable loppers are needed then! Good luck.

Nelliemoser Tue 31-May-16 07:35:52

Whitewave I would be very anxious as well. I get very fond of a lot of my garden plants. My 6 yr old wisteria has just flowered profusely for the first time and is fabulous. It is not on the safest of supports though.

whitewave Tue 31-May-16 07:41:54

All winter I kept thinking -give it one more year and then prune. I am so reluctant as it will mean missing a year of flower.

6 years old eh? Good to know as I am training a standard wisteria which is 3 years old. Going to try potash next spring to give it a boot up the bum!

whitewave Tue 31-May-16 07:44:17

Why do these things always happen at the least convenient time?
Daughters birthday next Sunday so planning to do a load of cooking for a summer buffet. And then going away for a few days on Monday. Looks as if I might end up in Waitrose.

12Michael Tue 31-May-16 08:00:39

The wind has picked up here in South Northants, looked on the red button on the travel on TV , to see Chiltern have suspended services between Marylebone and Wembley Stadium to a tree falling on the tracks.
Mick

whitewave Tue 31-May-16 08:04:22

Raining here now as well

GandTea Tue 31-May-16 08:18:01

Haven't dared venture out into the garden to see what damage has been done by the wind & rain.

whitewave Tue 31-May-16 08:19:39

The trouble is this time of year everything is in full leaf and acts like a sail

grannylyn65 Tue 31-May-16 08:34:05

Sunny here

Badenkate Tue 31-May-16 08:37:49

Blue sky here but breezy.

GandTea Tue 31-May-16 08:52:44

Just braved the wind and rain. Some minor damage and things blown over, but nothing that won't recover. Our banana has lost its new leaves, but it grows so fast that they will be replaced in a few weeks. The rambling rose through our apple tree is hanging down across the path, but I can tie it back in when the weather improves.

Jenty61 Tue 31-May-16 09:01:26

strongs winds here on the south coast over night now torrential rain ! warnings of gales and thunderstorms later .....oh what a glorious summer!!

janeainsworth Tue 31-May-16 09:11:09

Whitewave I hope the disaster doesn't happen, but you don't have to lose a year's flowering by pruning.
Your rose apparently belongs to group 18 and this is the RHS advice
re pruning it
www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=169

When are you going to open your garden for a Gransnet meet up? It sounds fabulous! grin

GandTea Tue 31-May-16 09:25:49

PHM, is a tough rose (that is what we have throughout apple tree, 20ft or so like yours) and is unlikely to break, you should be able to tie it back in when it is dry and the foliage is lighter. Our has only just started breaking blossom, most are still in bud.

pollyperkins Tue 31-May-16 09:39:51

Well Mick, Im in S Northants too but no sign of high winds! Just dull and chilly here with rain forecast

Juggernaut Tue 31-May-16 09:51:49

Sorry to 'rub it in' but it's glorious weather up here in Cheshire! Brilliant sunshine, blue cloudless sky, and a gentle breeze!
I'm going to get the grass cut and things tied up today though, just in case your weather heads this way!
Hope all your gardens survive, and your damage isn't too bad, especially for 'whitewave'!

annodomini Tue 31-May-16 09:53:59

The trees are tossing wildly. When they are heavy with leaves, there's always more danger of damage. If only that applied to the monstrous leylandii the other side of the brook. Unfortunately if it did fall, it would fall over my garden - maybe even far as my house. shock

Kupari45 Tue 31-May-16 11:11:16

Just been for a long walk with the dog here at Thirsk. Its wild and windy, pieces of branch falling off the trees. Raining now, a real "Barbour" day !. Wont be going far this afternoon.