Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's Kindly Kitcheners

(1000 Posts)
soop Sun 12-Jun-16 09:38:33

Here we are again...happy as can be...all good friends and jolly good company...

WELCOME to our newest kitchen. flowers sunshine cupcake wine brew

GandTea Sun 12-Jun-16 09:42:35

WOW, a posh new kitchen, all brand new and sparkling. More than I can say for me, too many g&t's last night. Son and family just left to catch the ferry to France and Disneyland. Another gig this afternoon, it has to be better than yesterdays, but the weather forecast is awful.

soop Sun 12-Jun-16 09:43:08

I shall call in again a little later. I wanted to be sure that you lovely lot had a kitchen to gather in. Make yourselves comfortable. smile

baubles Sun 12-Jun-16 09:45:28

Happy new kitchen Soop brewcupcake

NanaandGrampy Sun 12-Jun-16 09:52:37

Good Morning All!!

A new kitchen , how lovely !!

Loved your hat soop it was truly fit for a queen !And the whole elderflower cordial and champagne sounds delicious and I might try that today!

Jetlag is a bugger ! So I am only feeling human today after the wedding and everything on Friday. I will add a couple of pictures ! The two boys were in the wedding party - Jackson walked down the aisle first with a little heart shaped sign that said 'Here comes the bride' followed by Cooper with a sign that said' Last chance to run Ben' ( Ben was the Groom .

Saw my other little chap yesterday too , but his sister is at Cub Camp so we have been invited to dinner on Monday to see her too !

I hope all are well , and enjoying the Queens Birthday weekend! Grampy and I will be eating scones with clotted cream and jam whilst we watch all the celebrations today. I love the whole pomp and ceremony of yesterdays events. I don't think anyone does it as well as us.

Happy Sunday all !!

Alea Sun 12-Jun-16 09:53:18

Hooray a new kitchen sunshine
I came looking in the wee sma' hours having read some of judthepud's present tribulations.
If you look in here, , jud I hope morning has brought you some reassurance and peace of mind.
Good morning Kitcheners!

Alea Sun 12-Jun-16 10:04:41

What a gorgeous day you must have had Nana. I v much like what I can see of your outfit and LURVE your hat!! I hope Grampy scrubbed up as nicely? (Men generally despite moaning about ties and waistcoats)

rosesarered Sun 12-Jun-16 10:46:40

How many kitchens is this now Soop? Does it have marble work surfaces, an Aga the size of a hut, an island, a scrubbed pine table and is it the 'heart of the home'?grin
That being the case, I will pop in and have a coffee please ( have just had a full cooked breakfast so no cake thanks.) Happy Sunday everyone.

Charleygirl Sun 12-Jun-16 12:52:29

Another comfortable kitchen and Rory is also delighted with the extra fuss.

I am so pleased that I do not like anything with ginger in it- that is if the next batch made is not eaten en route.

soop that hat is absolutely fabulous.

NanaandGrampy the photos as always are superb, especially the one of the bride- she looks so relaxed and gorgeous.

I have a confession to make- I watched the England v Russia match last night and loved every minute of it. They should have won being the superior side but at least they did not lose.

I may even watch Northern Ireland this evening- I have no idea who they are playing.

The weather here is dull but humid. It must have rained during the night as the roads are still wet. I think that this is a day for doing zilch- I know, why break the habit of a lifetime?

kittylester Sun 12-Jun-16 12:58:55

Lovely kitchen, as always, soop. I'm glad you have brought the chaise over and put by the window with views of the sea. I think I'll just have a sit down. We have our village street market and celebration today. I managed not so spend too much until we got to the stall selling raspberry gin. I only had the smallest taste but my head feels really peculiar! Luckily I got to the gin stall after my stint on the library stall. [hic]

soop Sun 12-Jun-16 13:36:36

Hello again I shall add another pic or two of yesterday's tea party. Our village is small. Approx 200 inhabitants. Yet, whenever there is an excuse for a celebration...out come the people bearing home-made goodies and entertainment.grin

GandTea I hope for your sake that the weather is kind for this afternoon's gig. We had two marquees erected in the grounds of the village hall. The weather had changed and, to make matters worse, the wretched midges were prepared for battle. No harm done. The hall was already prepared (just in case). I didn't need supper last night. I did partake of a very modest dram as we watched the drama on T.V. It's rather gripping. Any other Kitcheners watching the story unfold?

Hello, Baubles. smile

NanaandGrampy The photos are really good. I also like your outfit. The bride looked so serene. The bouquet is perfect. I also like the signs...most amusing.

Alea Is your husband back home with you? I've lost track. Please let us know. We care.

rosesarered I have no idea how many kitchens that we've shared. Do you think the GNHQ could enlighten us?
Our kitchen is all that we could wish for. The dust never settles. The food is in plentiful supply and there are no dirty dishes to clear away. There is always a comfortable chair together with a Scottish tartan rug for those who need to snuggle up alongside Rory. He, naturally, is the sweetest cat. His purrs are soothing. Kitcheners are free to talk to their heart's content or sit quietly and enjoy the view. It is our special meeting place.

Charleyg I'm pleased that you enjoy football. I'm more for tennis and rugby. Put your feet up and relax. Any Magnums in the freezer? wink

kitty Raspberry gin, eh! That sounds moreish. I would love a wee glass full. Have yourself a happy, fun-filled afternoon.

soop Sun 12-Jun-16 13:38:15

Our good friend made the celebration birthday cake. It was delicious.
The Barber Shop Singers were most entertaining.

Charleygirl Sun 12-Jun-16 14:48:23

I have never tasted gin in my life- I have a feeling that GandTea possibly drinks my share! Raspberry gin sounds rather intriguing but knowing that a few slurps and I would be legless it would not be a good idea.

soop I watch very little football, there was zilch else on last night. My preference would be tennis and athletics. I do not understand rugby so never watch it and Formula 1 is beyond me.

My goodness, this yellow thing in the sky is shining into my house- what is it?

I am up at the crack of dawn tomorrow to go for my pre-op TKR medical work up. Parking will still be a nightmare even if I arrive at 8am for a 9am appointment.

Alea Sun 12-Jun-16 15:11:44

I drove over to Oxford not knowing whether he would be coming home or not, found him dressed and champing at the bit to go. (Too much trouble to TELL me/text or whatever?)
Anyway got him a wheelchair and a nurse offered to push it as the JR is HUGE and it was quite a trek to the entrance, phoned for a taxi to get us to the Park and Ride and I drove us home.
"Thank you dear? " No chance, I was not hugely chuffed as it is 11/4 hours drive each way plus, for me the shuttle bus to the hospital. I am making some allowances as he went through a bit, but the hospital is beautifully comfortable, he had a single room so wasn't disturbed and the staff couldn't do enough for us. Since being home he has read, either in bed or in his armchair, been waited on hand and foot (yes, literally) and been pretty grumpy, picky about his food and more than a bit short.
Harrumph.

soop Sun 12-Jun-16 15:20:08

Charleyg I particularly enjoy Bombay Sapphire gin. Three on any one special occasion is my absolute limit. Served with plenty of tonic water, ice and a slice of lime.
Wimbledon is my favourite sporting occasion. I always feel a sense of "ergh" when it's over.
You have sunshine. Good. We have intermittent sunshine and a little cloudiness. No rain, so far.
I shall be thinking of you tomorrow. Parking during hospital visits is becoming a real headache. Even with a disabled badge, there is hardly ever a space to be found.
I'm away to do the ironing. The day off yesterday was enjoyable. Routine jobs still need catch up. smile

soop Sun 12-Jun-16 15:27:23

Alea I was about to do the ironing. Saw your message. Needed to read it and find out what the latest update is. Oh boy! You deserve a proper thank you and a gentle hug for all that you've been through. I find it difficult to accept that there are husbands (and wives) who hardly ever pay a compliment or express gratitude. You must be made of tough stuff. I would have to say something (not rude) necessarily but I couldn't take it on the chin, as do you. You are not a servant. You are an equal partner in your marriage. Sorry if I appear to be mildly miffed. Truth of the matter is, I'm bloody livid.

soop Sun 12-Jun-16 15:28:49

Only virtual, but I'm sending you flowers sunshine and smile

Charleygirl Sun 12-Jun-16 15:34:38

Alea I am well aware that your DH has been through a lot but a return to "charm school" for a few days would not go amiss. Does he realise that you are marginally over 30 and have everything to do, think and worry about and that includes walking and caring for Grace. A good job that he does not live here as he may find that service is temporarily suspended!

Please look after yourself and have an early night. Maybe a glass or two of vino with your evening meal?

Alea Sun 12-Jun-16 15:38:48

Thank you Soop I think he means well(?) and every so often I snap and point out ALL I do and then he is very contrite and I feel sorry for him!
Actually of course I feel sorry for him anyway, chronic illness is hard to bear and it saps the energy, but I find my energy sapped too by trying to remain calm and positive, to oversee everything without nagging and I have to admit neither of us had anticipated that our retirement would be like this. I do miss the freedom to go places and see people. DH is an introverted person,never happier than with his books whereas I am a social biddy!
However, there are folk much worse off than me. I have noticed among our friends that an increasing number have problems health wise or mentally, like early diagnoses of dementia and it can get very depressing when you think of the fragile thread which keeps our heads above water, to mix my metaphors!
Onwards and upwards! Thank you for your kind words

Alea Sun 12-Jun-16 16:16:42

charleygirl who says I am over 30?!! grin Ay'm in may prayme !!

annsixty Sun 12-Jun-16 16:21:28

We are allowed to feel grumpy Alea and I totally understand. I think it is when we feel we are being taken for granted that we react. Hopefully he will start to feel marginally better soon although I expect he never feels as well as you and he would like.

Tizliz Sun 12-Jun-16 16:38:56

I either need a better body or a smaller garden, propped up on settee regretting my weeding bout.

GandTea Sun 12-Jun-16 17:17:53

Todays Gig went fantastically, we all played very well. Shame the weather kept the 1000's we had expected away, but those that were there enjoyed it. It was a fantastic garden, something you would expect to see in a magazine.

soop Sun 12-Jun-16 17:21:11

Alea As I was ironing, I was thinking of you and my latest wee "outburst" against what I consider to be someone (your husband) not appearing to realise that you do get stressed and should therefore be treated with a kid glove due consideration. I apologise for being cross (with him) because I also appreciate that with advancing years, there is much to bear - poor health, both physically and mentally.
We know of two close friends who have succumbed to dementia. Nothing could be more cruel than seeing one's partner slowly lose the sense of self.
MacSporran is an introvert. He loves nothing more than being here at home with me, his music and his cat. I was, at one time, an extrovert, but I'm now just as happy to be otherwise. It has, for me, been a gentle learning curve. In many ways, I'm far happier (in spirit) than I ever was when I had perfect health. Daft, isn't it?
Folk are complex creatures. smile

annsixty Your message makes perfect sense.

Tizliz Gardening is a buggeration (now that I'm elderly). There was a time when I weeded a paddock, shock Our cottage was for sale. The paddock was "untidy"...I was younger and fitter and, dare I say, totally bonkers.

Charleygirl Sun 12-Jun-16 17:21:52

GandTea Will you be on TV anytime soon? Will you be handing out free tickets for your next gig?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion