Gransnet forums

Chat

Ever taught yourself something new?

(41 Posts)
Nonnie1 Fri 24-Jun-16 12:44:05

I have learned how to do the 'Running Man' hip hop dance, and feel very proud.

I used a utube manual. I also taught myself how to cut hair, use straightening irons to make curls, and how to split an agapanthus into several small plants.

My next task will be to light a fire using two sticks smile

Greyduster Fri 24-Jun-16 12:52:57

I always thought you had to rub two Boy Scouts together?? shock

minimo Fri 24-Jun-16 12:54:11

Good on you Nonnie! I think you need to upload your own youtube video of you doing the hip hop to inspire us!

For a wedding a few weeks ago I used one of the GN youtube videos to apply smoky eye makeup which was an achievement for me.

One thing I'd really like to work on is my whistling. Never been able to do it but that hasn't stopped me trying. One day I will manage it grin

Actually I have also recently started using Annie Sloan and my first project went quite well so I'm quite proud of that.

Indinana Fri 24-Jun-16 12:56:11

I taught myself how to crochet many years ago, as there was no-one in my family who knew how and I really wanted to learn.

Indinana Fri 24-Jun-16 12:58:14

Now that's something I haven't yet built up the courage to do, minimo - chalk painting. I have a couple of pieces of furniture in the garage earmarked for this, just to see if I can do it. One of these days....

Nonnie1 Fri 24-Jun-16 12:59:41

Utube is the best thing since sliced bread.

Currently on the hunt for boy scouts........

...naughty Greyduster

Greyduster Fri 24-Jun-16 13:23:53

I thought at our time of life, 'hip hop' was a contradiction in terms! Regarding the original post, I taught myself to tie fishing flies. My eyesight is shocking, and my manual dexterity is rapidly going down the tubes, so they are Frankenstein flies! Angling abominations! But guess what! The fish love them!

Nonnie1 Fri 24-Jun-16 13:25:50

greyduster If you can still hop, then you are in with a chance, but this ship ain't gonna sail forever smile

Oops ...I smiled as I typed that !

peaceatlast Fri 24-Jun-16 13:26:01

I'd always wanted to learn to crochet so used books and YouTube and now I can.

Nonnie1 Fri 24-Jun-16 13:26:10

The fishing fly looks good girl !

annodomini Fri 24-Jun-16 14:18:44

When I was 15, my handwriting was so atrocious that my dad bought me a book on calligraphy which I liked the look of and practised assiduously. My teachers were astonished and relieved that they could read my work, though some of them were a bit miffed that I had abandoned the cursive script that they taught in the primary school. Nowadays I can still do it though my everyday handwriting has deteriorated because I am more likely to use a keyboard than an italic pen.
Other than that I don't think I have taught myself very much, apart from ICT skills for which I have never had a lesson. Might have yet another go at crochet though.

tanith Fri 24-Jun-16 14:27:51

I taught myself to touch type when my eldest was born and I was home looking after her I never used it to get a job but it doesn't half come in handy when using PC or laptopwink.

rubylady Sat 25-Jun-16 04:51:00

I'm teaching myself patience just now as next door is partying and loud music is coming through the walls! It's 4.48 am! Another day has dawned. It seems like mother cat is away and the son mouse is playing! Oh, youth is wasted on the young. smile

Now, should I put my taped Glastonbury on tele and turn up the volume????.......... grin

marionk Sat 25-Jun-16 09:22:52

Am trying to teach myself to paint, YouTube is invaluable but I wish I could remember to put my tablet in a plastic bag before I start so I can backtrack and pause the videos without fear of getting paint all over it!

harrysgran Sat 25-Jun-16 09:40:54

As someone who is a bit of a scardy cat I managed to catch a chicken then pick it and hold it not amazing I know but it isn't that easy to catch a chicken smile

libra10 Sat 25-Jun-16 09:49:09

I taught myself to knit and crochet years ago, but never mastered macramé!

Rufus Sat 25-Jun-16 10:14:56

It was crochet for me too,late 60s early 70s. All those wonderful ponchos,waistcoats and dresses for my daughter! Might have to get my hooks out again!

Maywalk Sat 25-Jun-16 10:20:36

Yes the computer when I was 74 and then having a WW2 website put up that has gone worldwide. This in turn led me to write a small book of the first 20 years of my life that took in being bombed out twice during WW2 in the London Blitz. This book has sold many copies with all proceeds going to my local Rainbows Childrens Hospice.I am in hospital at the moment after having a fall but doing this reply on a laptop.I am now 85 years of age and now getting requests to give talks about my experiences as an evacuee. This all started with learning the computer after recuperating from a broken right hip and broken left arm.

Lilyflower Sat 25-Jun-16 10:22:02

I taught myself how to pipe a cushion from YouTube videos. It was successful but probably not worth the time and effort I put into it!

Clickgran Sat 25-Jun-16 11:02:20

My word Maywalk! You are an inspiration to us all. I bet to listen to your experiences must be fascinating and well done you for writing a book. I hope you are on the mend. I taught myself how to use a computer too and now an iPad . It has been a complete joy, being able to FaceTime and I use computer for work in school.

oznan Sat 25-Jun-16 11:20:09

As a teenager,I taught myself to crochet and also to sew clothes both from library books-no you tube in those days!

Thingmajig Sat 25-Jun-16 14:07:52

I suppose I taught myself to knit as I was a disaster at school but started again when DD was on the way.

I also taught myself to use a computer and even a little simple computer programming when she was wee, making some programs for her mostly for arithmetic problems.

Jaxie Sat 25-Jun-16 14:18:37

I need to teach myself how to dance ( not the ballroom type) for my son's upcoming wedding. When I say " dance" I mean that on-the-spot stuff others seem able to without looking like a psychopathic windmill. Any advice, ladies?

narrowboatnan Sat 25-Jun-16 14:29:09

I'm reasonably computer literate, can use desk top publishing, build web pages and have a whole host of other computer skills all on a 'learn as you go' DIY basis. Recently, having got fed up with paying out a small fortune two or three times a year for some one else to do it, I learnt from watching various YouTube videos how to trim my three dogs so I can do it myself in future.

gillyknits Sat 25-Jun-16 15:13:35

I taught myself to paint in water colour about ten years ago with inspiration from a T.V. programme called 'Awash with Colour'. This was before You Tube. Since then I have been learning to crochet Amigurami and now have completely forgotten how to paint. Back to the drawing board/easel methinks!!