Gransnet forums

Chat

Eldest DGD on holiday with friends for first time

(12 Posts)
Newquay Sat 25-Jun-16 16:21:19

A while ago I posted to say eldest DGD was planning to go on holiday with 5 other girls from Uni. You were all so supportive and sensible. Well last night off she went. So excited. They're a lovely gang. We've drummed everything into them all about drink, drugs etc.
Sadly a few weeks ago her drink was spiked in a night club near to her Uni. It was a terrible experience all round but has made them all think all the more carefully. No harm done in the end.
We tracked her flight as did her Mum and Dad on a different tracking site. I did wonder if they had had her bugged! Lol!
She texted to say they were there safely. Despite 2 hour time difference had got up in. Time for breakfast and we're heading for beach.
Will still be glad when she's back home safe and sound-and nothing she will report to us?

MiniMouse Sat 25-Jun-16 16:39:24

That's awful about her drink being spiked, but perhaps it has alerted them all to be extra careful - and to realise that all the seemingly alarmist warnings weren't down to everyone being overprotective! I'm sure they'll look out for each other even more now smile

Luckygirl Sat 25-Jun-16 16:48:43

I do understand where you are coming from - letting go is the biggest challenge of bringing up children - and GC. I am sure she will be fine.

Grannyben Sat 25-Jun-16 19:07:37

How wonderful for her to get out and see the world with her friends. I can remember when my eldest daughter went off with a group of close friends. She did text me regularly and they all had a lovely time and arrived home safely.

Newquay Mon 27-Jun-16 11:31:59

No news is good news they say-haven't heard anything more yet.
I had intended to give her some euros to take with her as extra pocket money and somehow completely forgot! Now worrying she'll run out of money. . . . And be forced to prostitute herself or sell a kidney. . . . Or she'll just stick to her daily budget of 50 euros she told me about and be fine?

rubylady Tue 28-Jun-16 02:13:08

She will be fine Newquay, she will borrow some off one of her friends if she runs out or needs anything. Plus she can use her cash card abroad anyway so money can be put into her account for her to use if she has none of her own to dip into. They will all look out for each other, it's what they do. My daughter got spiked when she was at University too, her friends dealt with it as I was 60 miles away. She was fine. Other things have come up in their friendship group but they just deal with it. It will be good for her, either in travelling or having some fun and letting her hair down and relaxing. Please don't stress too much or she will feel so guilty booking another holiday. They have to grow up, unfortunately. smile

Newquay Tue 28-Jun-16 11:30:00

Thanks Rubylady, yes I do know what you mean, you just can't help being concerned about em can you?
Contacted her Mum and Dad last night (our DD1 and SIL) to ask if they'd heard which, of course, they had. She's having a lovely time, is up in time for breakfast everyday (she eats like a horse and, fortunately has the family's slim build). Had sent a photo of her first evening meal, looked like kalamari with chips and salad and then a photo of her on the beach looking out to (v blue) sea looking lovely in her bikini (which is not skimpy at all).
So far, so good then?

SueDoku Tue 28-Jun-16 14:58:19

Reading this thread has made me realise just how much things have changed in 20 years... When DS1 was 19, he and five friends hired a villa in France and went away together. We took him to catch the minibus to the airport - and 10 days later we picked him up on return; in between - not a peep!
No mobiles, no internet, landline calls expensive and only for emergencies. They had a great time, and still talk about this holiday, but I can't remember feeling more than a passing 'Wonder what he's doing now?' thought while they were away. Astonishing to see how youngsters (and parents) today feel the need to be in constant contact all the time..!
Please don't take this as any kind of criticism Newquay - it's really not, just got me thinking about how things change in one generation smile

GrandmaKT Tue 28-Jun-16 15:06:45

I don't think things have really changed SueDoku, it's just that different families have different attitudes to these things. Both my sons went travelling the world in their uni holidays (only 5 years or so ago)- it was nice to know that they had mobiles in case of emergency, but we certainly didn't expect them to be phoning us and giving us updates on their exploits. Similarly to you, we dropped them off and enjoyed hearing the tales later when they returned.

Newquay Sun 03-Jul-16 14:14:23

No I don't take it as criticism at all Suedoku. I remember going to visit my (male) French penfriend on my own at 16. As you say, no phones, no nuttin! When I think back my poor Mum and Dad must have been so anxious but didn't show it. I had a wonderful time with him and his family-realised my O level French was all but useless but, hey ho, we are STILL friends all these years later, grandparents together?
But it was a different time. . . dangers are likely now to be everywhere. I asked her Mum (DD1) what she:'d warned her about and, apart from the obvious, it was things like choosing a good place on the beach with something solid to hide behind if shooting started and to always be aware of folks around them in case they were terrorists or, at last, thieves.
Anyway. . . She's now back and had a lovely time. Was up (most days) for breakfast before 10am and then off to the beach where, for 10 Euros for the week, she was in the VIP (!) area of the beach and had a sun lounger all week too. She enjoyed Greek food. She was with a girl who like her didn't' want very late nights in the clubs so they had more time up and about in the day. They listened to the advice of the rep about which clubs/streets to avoid. And she's told us she drank lots of water. . . . She's now on a Uni field course before coming home to her job housekeeping at a local hotel which is how she paid for the holiday.

Luckygirl Sun 03-Jul-16 15:14:37

Home safe and sound and had a great time - phew!

Newquay Sun 03-Jul-16 19:39:04

Lucky girl ?