Gransnet forums

Chat

Dinner Party Guests

(33 Posts)
sunseeker Sun 26-Jun-16 12:34:37

If you could invite 8 people, living or dead, to a dinner party who would it be. The presence of your partner and family are a given. Mine would be: Oscar Wilde, Stephen Fry, Marilyn Monroe, Albert Einstein, Tim Peake, Winston Churchill, Dorothy Parker and Emmeline Parkhurst. The conversation would be very entertaining and stimulating (and probably a be argumentative at times).

sunseeker Sun 26-Jun-16 12:39:32

A bit argumentative!!

BBbevan Sun 26-Jun-16 13:38:23

Can they be dead?

BBbevan Sun 26-Jun-16 13:46:47

Sorry, just read your again. Of course they can.

Nannylovesshopping Sun 26-Jun-16 13:56:59

Adele, Maureen Lipman, Sean Connery, Judi Dench, Cillian Murphy, Jo Brand and the two guys who chat together under the picture of the nude with big boobs on goggle box, don't know their names.

grandMattie Sun 26-Jun-16 14:10:03

Napoleon, Jesus, Julius Caesar, Oscar Wilde, Ada Lovelace, Elizabeth Fry, the Buddha and Gertrude Bell for starters

grumppa Sun 26-Jun-16 15:02:45

Surely not Oscar Wilde and Stephen Fry at the same dinner?

KatyK Sun 26-Jun-16 15:25:42

George Harrison, Elvis Presley, Marilyn Monroe, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, Muhamed Ali, Billy Connolly, Keith Richards.

nanasam Sun 26-Jun-16 15:30:18

Richard Osman and Alexander Armstrong. Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley. Dames Judi Dench and Maggie Smith. Stephen Fry and Alan Davies. Nothing too heavy to give us indigestion - we'd be laughing our socks off.

nanasam Sun 26-Jun-16 15:31:11

Mind you, like your choice KatyK, I could catch up with Keef after 50 years!

Antjexix Sun 26-Jun-16 15:37:23

Oscar Wilde, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth 2nd, Gene Kelly, Jane Austen and Marilyn Monroe.

Anniebach Sun 26-Jun-16 15:54:35

Stephen Fry. Muhammad Ali. Nelson Mandela. Rob Brydon. Jackie
Kennedy. Victoria Wood. Susan Sarandon. Jemima Khan.

sunseeker Sun 26-Jun-16 16:02:52

grumppa Yes Oscar Wilde and Stephen Fry, between them the conversation would be hilarious and also I think Oscar Wilde would probably be the only person who could get Stephen Fry to shut up grin

Indinana Sun 26-Jun-16 16:41:10

Brian May, Mick Jagger, Victoria Wood, Julie Walters, Bob Monkhouse, Les Dawson, Dame Judi Dench, Prince Harry.

I want to have a FUN dinner party, with a lot of laughter grin.

soop Sun 26-Jun-16 16:55:42

Dalai Lama, Placido Domingo, Elvis, Mozart, Marilyn Monroe, Bill Gates, Malala (? spelling) the young lady who won the Nobel Peace Prize.

Marmark1 Sun 26-Jun-16 17:06:59

Elvis,Judy Dench,Joanna Lumley,Charles Dickens,Margret Mitchell ,Micheal Portello,Geronimo and Mark Twain.

BBbevan Sun 26-Jun-16 17:23:32

Marco Polo, Sarah Millican, Charlton Heston, Michael Palin, Charlotte Bronte, Peter Blake, Grayson Perry and my Grandma Mary

KatyK Sun 26-Jun-16 17:27:40

nanasam Keef's Destert Island Discs was a great listen. I bet he has some tales to tell. I must get his book.

Maggiemaybe Sun 26-Jun-16 17:32:47

Elizabeth I, Victoria Wood, Leonardo da Vinci, Brian Blessed, Elvis, Alfred Hitchcock, Emmeline Pankhurst and Steve McQueen.

Though I think Brian might have to go home after the starters, or nobody else will get a word in.

Indinana Sun 26-Jun-16 21:38:46

Though I think Brian might have to go home after the starters, or nobody else will get a word in.

That's precisely why I didn't pick Oscar Wilde or Stephen Fry Maggiemaybe! They've figured a number of times on here but, frankly, if they were dinner guests there'd be no point inviting anyone else!

rubylady Mon 27-Jun-16 02:18:20

Freddie Mercury, Peter Kay, Paul Merton, Micky Flanagan, Anne Boleyn, Laurence Llewelyn Bowen, Billy Byrne (DIY SOS), Agatha Christie.

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 27-Jun-16 02:30:04

Ellen DeGeneres, James Corden, Barack Obama, Paul Murton (not Merton), Eddie Izzard, Hilary Clinton, Adele and Hugh Jackman.

Maggiemaybe Mon 27-Jun-16 15:23:16

Actually, I'm now thinking of sending them all home after the starters, Indinana. All except Steve McQueen - he can stay just as long as he likes. smile

rubylady Mon 27-Jun-16 15:46:13

Which Steve McQueen Maggie?

Maggiemaybe Mon 27-Jun-16 16:01:45

Well, put it this way, rubylady, I have never complained about endless repeats of The Great Escape. Those blue eyes.... blush