Gransnet forums

Chat

So terrified

(27 Posts)
Ness57 Sun 26-Jun-16 20:34:46

While showering I recently found 4 lumps on the inside of my labia. It took me five weeks to get an appointment with a lady GP but when I finally saw her I was so shocked. She said that it was a worse case scenario but they could be genital warts and I may have to go to the GUM clinic. I am so confused. I have been married for 20 years (second marriage) and have NEVER even thought of straying. My husband (who I totally trust) says he has not strayed. I have to go back to the GP this week where another GP will also "take a look" . I cannot even start to explain how totally confused and scared I am. Has anyone else experienced any "peculiar" lumps and bumps in this area and what did they turn out to be? I'm absolutely terrified.

rosesarered Sun 26-Jun-16 20:44:18

No, I haven't ( but maybe others have and will be along here shortly).No wonder you are worried by this though, hope it turns out to be something harmless and treatable.

M0nica Sun 26-Jun-16 20:47:47

In my case benign cysts that continue to come and go.

Genital warts are not always sexually transmitted. They are cause by the human papilloma virus and this can live in the body for years before triggering a reaction like genital warts.

Has life been very stressful for yopu recently, because stress can be the trigger that activates something like this

Deedaa Sun 26-Jun-16 20:58:16

I had one lump years ago which turned out to be some sort of cyst which eventually burst and disappeared. I was quite young so obviously never went to a doctor about it.

Luckygirl Sun 26-Jun-16 21:00:34

Please do not be terrified - you have taken the right action and will I am sure get the right treatment. I am just sorry that it took so long for you to get the appointment with a female GP.

Crafting Sun 26-Jun-16 21:39:29

Yes, mine too was a huge cyst that burst and went away.

Indinana Sun 26-Jun-16 22:02:26

I have a couple of raised areas on my labia and have been referred to Dermatology. I don't know how long the wait for an appointment will be. My GP didn't suggest genital warts, but thinks I may have lichen sclerosus and suspects the Dermatologist will want to do a biopsy. Not looking forward to that shock. The area has been itchy and sore for some time, but I've always thought it was psoriasis as I have this in so many areas - my scalp, ears, around my anus etc. Now I'm worried that it's been lichen sclerosis all along and has remained untreated which is not a good thing.
Please try not to worry. Remember - she said that genital warts was a worst case scenario, so it's much more likely that it's something else, something not in the least scary.

mumofmadboys Mon 27-Jun-16 00:10:35

They may be sebaceous cysts. These are not serious and are common. Do they look more like cysts than warts? You can also get varicose veins In this area. ( I am a retired GP). They are not likely to be anything serious so try not to worry.

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 27-Jun-16 00:40:46

I used to get cysts that would burst as well. A friend did have one removed as a minor procedure because it was giving her a lot of bother. I think M0nica is right about warts and the virus being in our bodies. Hang in there. flowers

Ness57 Mon 27-Jun-16 06:39:53

Thank you all for your reassuring comments. I have suffered from anxiety attacks recently and this obviously doesn't help! I'm just going to feel sooooo embarrassed if I have to go to a GUM clinic blush

Jenty61 Mon 27-Jun-16 08:31:37

I had a lump there some years ago and it wasnt anything serious it was just a large skin tag...my doctor tied a piece of string around it and it eventually dropped off...no pain as such just felt a bit sore...

Teetime Mon 27-Jun-16 09:16:28

Ness I'm sorry you are so worried but as your GP has indicated whatever it is treatable. GUM clinics are vastly different from how they used to be and just like a regular out patient clinic. The staff there are highly trained and I think you will find are very kind and sympathetic.

MTDancer Mon 27-Jun-16 09:24:29

Indinana, don't worry about your biopsy. It's not as bad as you might think and if you do have L.S. then the sooner treatment is started the better.
There are some gouts on the internet which will explain things for you.
I have it and was shocked at first (diagnosed about a year ago) but nothing much in my life has changed except I not use a steroid cream one a week and I feel much better for it

Chicklette Mon 27-Jun-16 09:35:24

This happened to a friend of mine a few years ago and her reaction was similar to yours. Her doctor said to calm down, and that it is possible for it to have lain dormant in her body for many years. It must be horrible to go to the GUM clinic but I gather they are very kind. Wishing you well. Xx

Lupatria Mon 27-Jun-16 09:54:45

hi everyone - i'm here with my charity's hat on.
i suffer from a little known but very embarrassing skin condition called hidradenitis suppurativa - basically "cysts" come up in many places on your body where there is either hair or sweat [genital area, underarms, under breasts for instance].
these cysts can be large and very painful but eventually come to a head and then drain although that can take time.
unfortunately many of the medical profession don't know about this condition although dermatologists are more aware.
it is thought to be an auto-immune disease as many sufferers also have auto-immune conditions like psoriasis, chrons disease or fibromyalgia.
unfortunately hs [as it is know] is a life long condition although it eases as you go through the menopause and therefore the "cysts" and the pain lessen.
however, ness57 [and anyone who may have had this], it is nothing to worry about and there are various treatments to alleviate the condition.
for more information try looking at the hs trust's website - hstrust.org ............ this isn't an advert for anything - the charity is trying to bring more awareness of the condition both to the medical profession and to the general public.

Lupatria Mon 27-Jun-16 09:56:14

ps - should have said that there is no infection in the cysts - basically it's your body trying to fight itself and the "product of the burst cyst" is the result.

Nelliemaggs Mon 27-Jun-16 11:10:13

It's too early to be worried. I have had a few of these, pea size lumps inside the labia. The doctor gave me antibiotics and each time they went away. I didn't have anything burst that I was aware of. I was quite shocked when I found the first one. A friend had what were called fatty lumps which as far as I know are still there.
I attended a GUM clinic with a relative, nuff said, and they were lovely people and as Teetime says they are just like any other outpatient clinic.
Best of luck

Lynnekovan1969 Mon 27-Jun-16 14:02:18

Don't be terrified Ness57, its too soon to know exactly what they are. Many women get harmless sebaceous cysts on their labia, which will just resolve themselves. Sometimes they can get infected causing more of a painful lump which may eventually pop.
You haven't done anything untoward, and were quite right to go to your GP.

JanT8 Mon 27-Jun-16 14:12:01

I also, many years ago, had two cysts, one of which turned into an abscess and required a minor op to drain and pack it.
At the time it was quite distressing, but later could see the funny side; I had to 'be done' at the end of the theatre list for fear of spreading infection. The Gynae consultant had a good look and said, no, this was general surgery. The consultant from General was called and he, of course, insisted it was Gynae! I didn't care one way or the other, just wanted someone to make a f.....g decision and deal with it.
Who won in the end, I have no idea, but I now still have 2 more cysts. Hope they never turn into an abscess or I might have to deal with it myself!!

HootyMcOwlface Mon 27-Jun-16 20:38:48

I sometimes have got one, and realised it was usually if I had been sitting a while (like on a long drive) and wearing trousers that dug in around the crotch! Bartholin's cyst I think they are called?

Aren't the warts caused by the same virus as cold sores?

Luckygirl Mon 27-Jun-16 21:37:08

My DGD has lichen sclerosis - she has had it for some years - she is only 11, poor lass. It burns dreadfully when she is hot - usually during the night.

vampirequeen Mon 27-Jun-16 21:38:00

I get lumps in that area. They swell, stay for a while then go away again.

Don't worry if you have to go to a GUM clinic. They're very nice and often do other procedures so it's not obvious why you're there. I've been to our local one twice. The first time I went for a screening when my ex admitted doing business with working girls and the second time was to have coil inserted.

Triplegranny Tue 28-Jun-16 11:45:30

A biopsy of this sensitive area sounds like something to be afraid of...........if you have never had to have it done.!! It is very quickly over and a very minor discomfort, hardly any more discomfort than the average injection/blood test.I have experienced more discomfort having the normal smear test.!

Having a GP refer you for a biopsy is something to be welcomed,as if something unusual is going on in this area,the sooner the correct treatment is started the better.For 5 years,in my case, a small itchy area on the labia,was treated my then GP, with repeat prescriptions for what was thought to be a minor condition.It was only when I moved to a new area and had to change GP that I was referred for a biopsy. The Dermatologist who arranged for the biopsy suspected excema or lichen sclerosis, not the minor condition I had been treated so long for.
My diagnosis (which would never have been made without the biopsy )was however, "extra mammary Pagets Disease", which apparently is rather a rare condition.Clearly it would have been better,if treatment had not been delayed by 5 yrs,and probably if I had not moved home,I would still be being having totally useless treatment.So I would encourage all ladies to welcome a biopsy if offered one!

Symptoms in this area of the anatomy also cause sometimes feelings of isolation as it is still not as easy to discuss or even mention with friends/family as something like a lump in the breast which is no longer the "no no area" to mention as it once was.
So well done NESS57 for starting this discussion.Best wishes for the consultation and /or the biopsy.

Indinana Tue 28-Jun-16 12:01:32

Thank you MTDancer and Triplegranny for your reassuring posts. Yes, if a biopsy is what the dermatologist thinks is needed, then that's fine, I'll be glad to get some proper diagnosis and treatment. The itching has really been driving me bonkers, although since my GP gave me some Dermol to wash with and some once-a-day ointment it has really been much improved.

miep Tue 28-Jun-16 13:51:41

I agree with whoever mentioned the possibility of Bartholins cysts. I had never heard of them until I went to the quack with my lumps.