Gransnet forums

Chat

Deck scrubber and bleach?

(9 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Thu 30-Jun-16 17:35:03

Couldn't make up my mind to post on house or garden thread

The workmen after almost 5 months have now left (except the roofer , that's another story)
There mess has not
My patio is filthy! Should be york stone colour.
Its grey and horriblesad
My karcher is on permanent loan to my DS, over a hundred miles away.

GT on G/shed suggested Algon ,
but after 'googling' (see another thread I could be on) It seems to be for algae and moss.
I have neither.
I have hosed the patio down and swept it with hard broom, it just dries back to the horrible grey ingrained dirt colour.
Even my patio plants don't do anything to cheer the area up.

So unless any GNetters can offer advice all I can think of is deck scrubber and bleach.

tanith Thu 30-Jun-16 17:43:19

If you use patio cleaner and a hard brush it should come up much better than it sounds takes a bit of elbow grease but ours came up quite well..

GandTea Thu 30-Jun-16 17:57:14

Hire a pressure washer.

hildajenniJ Thu 30-Jun-16 20:11:54

I used to have pink sandstone flagstones round one of my previous houses. The house martins nested in the eaves above. I used a deck scrubber and hot water with bleach. It brought off the mess beautifully, but I made the mistake of scrubbing them wearing dark denim jeans! They had littlecwhit spots for ever afterwards. ?

grannylyn65 Thu 30-Jun-16 20:54:25

Yes, diluted bleach !

Alima Thu 30-Jun-16 21:00:22

Do you live near the Hants/Berks border? If so you can use our pressure washer. Something else that works are soda crystals, sprinkle on, dampen, leave for a day or so then attack with a deck scrubber. Knackering but effective.

mrsmopp Fri 01-Jul-16 00:39:39

I use the outlet hose from the washing machine to catch the hot water after a wash, in a big bucket and use a deck scrubber on the patio. It's free and effective if you have used biological detergent. Might take a couple of goes, and depends how big your patio is, but it's what I do and it works for me.

Cherrytree59 Fri 01-Jul-16 14:20:32

Thanks everybody going to give it a go in wellies and old clobber.
Alima thanks for the kind offer but we are in Staffs flowers.
Mrsmopp I think that's a great idea, will use it to keep patio clean once I've scrubbed with Soda crystals, patio cleaner and/or bleach.
And if I'm defeated a pressure washer!

grannylyn65 Fri 01-Jul-16 15:12:40

Was born in Stone, cherry x