Gransnet forums

Chat

30 year old daughter married nearly 5 years & no children yet, should I say anything?

(91 Posts)
bee63 Thu 21-Jul-16 07:49:51

Just that really.
They've been married 5 years in September, both in their 30's now & no sign of children.
I know women leave it later these days but how to I tactfully say 'don't leave it too late'?
Or should I just say nothing?
TIA.

J52 Thu 21-Jul-16 07:53:28

Say nothing! I was married 8 years and 30 before I had my first child, out of choice!

If your daughter wants to discuss it with you, she will bring up the subject.

Nelliemoser Thu 21-Jul-16 07:55:38

Say nothing.

rascal Thu 21-Jul-16 08:00:25

No don't say anything it's none of your business. They have their lives to lead and you have yours. Don't Interfere. hmm

sherish Thu 21-Jul-16 08:04:02

Why on earth would you say anything? It's their life and their plans. Don't interfere because that's what it will be.

Indinana Thu 21-Jul-16 08:04:25

You will likely have lots of people on here responding with 'oh no, don't say anything!'. It depends a lot on what sort of relationship you have with your daughter as to whether or not you can broach the subject. If you have always had a very open mother-and-daughter relationship, always talked about everything, then it might be possible to say something - and you will know her well enough to know how to approach the subject gently. But please bear in mind that it may not be intentional that she is 'leaving it too late'. It could be that despite all their efforts, she has so far been unable to conceive. Or maybe she has conceived several times and then the pregnancy has ended early on. It could be a very, very delicate subject.
Do you know that she even wants children? There's always that possibility!
If, on the other hand, it is a conscious decision to delay starting a family, I'm sure she is aware of the clock ticking and won't need you to remind her smile.
I do sympathise - it's so hard being a 'grandparent in waiting', isn't it? Only you know if you can bring up this subject with your daughter. But be aware, it is a minefield! Good luck.

phoenix Thu 21-Jul-16 08:04:37

Definitely NOT!

Anya Thu 21-Jul-16 08:09:46

Say nothing.

Gononsuch Thu 21-Jul-16 08:13:16

Well said Indinana

Theirs such a strong Catholic way of thinking with us old 'uns.

bee63 Thu 21-Jul-16 08:15:59

I know it's a difficult subject to approach, but if she is having problems ttc then I want her to know I'm here for her. Our relationship is very good but we don't share everything ( both a little reserved ) I don't know, maybe it's just because I had 4 children by 36.

Bellanonna Thu 21-Jul-16 08:22:23

That was beautifully put Indinana and I would take thst approach too.

Mumsy Thu 21-Jul-16 08:22:35

Theres still time for them to have children if they want them, not a good idea to broach the subject as there may be medical problems they dont want to talk about. Perhaps they are happy not having children.

LullyDully Thu 21-Jul-16 08:24:11

A hard decision. Don't plan anything but the time may come when the conversation just arises and then you can just be supportive whichever way she is.feeling.

Greyduster Thu 21-Jul-16 08:48:39

My daughter was 35 before she had our grandson; she and her partner had been together then for 14 years. Say nothing.

harrigran Thu 21-Jul-16 08:49:04

I would never mention anything as sensitive as this, absolutely none of your business. My DD has been married for 20+ years and has no children, that is her business and I respect that.

annsixty Thu 21-Jul-16 08:49:07

My D married at 26, first child at 33 and second at 37 without a word spoken by either of us.

mcem Thu 21-Jul-16 08:58:26

None of your business. Thank goodness my parents and in-laws didn't poke their noses in while I was undergoing fertility testing. Cast your mind back 40 years when we might be offered treatment which produced multiple births - 5 or 6 babies who then died off one by one. I couldn't face that and couldn't put my family through it either. We adopted at age 30 to the great delight of all GO's.
They'll decide what's best for them and that may not include discussing their hopes and disappointments.

mcem Thu 21-Jul-16 08:59:24

GP's not GO's

DaphneBroon Thu 21-Jul-16 09:02:48

Flippin eck what century IS this?
(And Catholicism has nothing to do with it, gononsuch unless that is your angle.
Loads of girls are not thinkng about babies until well into their thirties.
One DD had her first baby at 35
Another DD has just had her first baby at 39.
Another is 34 and highly unlikely to even think about motherhood for another 2+ years as she is on a clinical trial which means no babies until it is over.
There are various scenarios, including
1) enjoying life, their careers and feeling quite happy to be child free as yet
2) trying desperately and don't need reminding of biological clocks
No, repeat, no, I would keep those thought entirely to myself.
I am disturbed by this idea of being a "grandparent in waiting" as if that is the sole reason for parenthood. It also seems to be at the root of much unhappiness over GPs "rights" and relations with in laws.
Their lives, their decisions

bee63 Thu 21-Jul-16 09:11:21

Thanks all.

I'll say nothing.

BBbevan Thu 21-Jul-16 09:15:08

Certainly not*bee63*. Perhaps they can't have any, perhaps they don't want any. Perhaps, perhaps. Whatever it is it has absolutely nothing to do with you. Grandma in waiting indeed hmm

bee63 Thu 21-Jul-16 09:18:42

It's nothing to do with me wanting to be a grandmother btw, I work full-time & have a very busy social life of my own, I certainly haven't got time for grandchildren yet!
It's more about her & if she's ok.

annodomini Thu 21-Jul-16 09:47:24

A couple I know well are in their 40s, together for about 20 years, married for 12, and are now expecting their first baby. Do not give up hope and please don't ask that question. There may be reasons that they just don't want to discuss even with you. My DS and partner were together for 11 years before they had their first son when they were both 32. It's perfectly normal nowadays.

whitewave Thu 21-Jul-16 09:55:26

They may not want children. Very personal decision, that has nothing to do with anyone else.

HildaW Thu 21-Jul-16 10:28:27

NO! NO! NO!