Gransnet forums

Chat

Now I know I've lost it!!

(63 Posts)
Craftycat Fri 22-Jul-16 12:37:56

Every year -when we go away I take one credit card with me in case of emergencies. DH takes a debit card for same reason.
I then hide my card case in house in case of burglary- daft I know but I do. Always have done. Last year I forgot where I had hidden it but remembered when I woke up on 2nd day home. This year I distinctly remember thinking- Oh I'll remember this year that I put them here!
Do I heck! I have no clue at all where all my cards- debit, store, library, NI, Nectar etc can possibly be. I have searched every room & nowhere to be found.
Maybe we DID have a very clever sneaky burglar or maybe I have totally lost it.
I've done the old ' what did I come upstairs for' thing many times but this is ridiculous!
I'm about to tear the place apart again.
Any ideas where you would hide a card case with all your cards in? It may jog my memory if I have any left.
( It was a super holiday though)

Anya Fri 22-Jul-16 12:52:50

Try your tea caddy.

merlotgran Fri 22-Jul-16 12:55:03

Stop looking for a while, Crafty Clear your head completely then sit down with a cuppa, close your eyes and think back to when you last had it. Think of other things you associate with that time. Eventually, Bingo! You will remember where you put it.

In my case it would probably be the bread bin!

Christinefrance Fri 22-Jul-16 12:56:27

In your knicker drawer ? Under an ornament or plant ?
In the cleaning cupboard those are all places I would use.
Good luck

Gagagran Fri 22-Jul-16 12:59:38

Linen cupboard? Freezer? Inside a pair of shoes? Under the mattress/ bed? In the garden shed? Must be somewhere you haven't tried yet! Let us know when you find them - as you will!

J52 Fri 22-Jul-16 13:07:10

In the piano stool? In amongst the laundry basket? Between books on the shelf or in a pile?

Polly99 Fri 22-Jul-16 13:16:39

I once hid everything in a boot at the back of the wardrobe then forgot. Took me about a week to remember. Now I make a coded reference in my diary, such as "take boots for repair"!

merlotgran Fri 22-Jul-16 13:23:48

Polly Your post reminds me of the early days of having a credit card when I was terrified I'd forget the PIN number.

I disguised it as a made up number in my address book under the name Barbara Banks...The only problem was when it came to sending out Christmas cards I couldn't remember who she was so I sent her one anyway. grin

ninathenana Fri 22-Jul-16 13:39:28

In a pair of rolled up socks
In the sewing basket
In the biscuit tin
I read a tip recently to take a pic on your mobile of the hiding place. Safe because presumably your mobile will be going away with you.

Pandi Fri 22-Jul-16 13:54:22

It will be in the last place you look Crafty ?

Elrel Fri 22-Jul-16 14:53:31

It'll turn up when you look for the next thing you lose. Try tucked into a bookcase on top of books or under your mattress!

morethan2 Fri 22-Jul-16 15:47:49

In the medicine cabinet? In an old coat pocket? I hope burglars are not reading this they'll know were we all keep our cards n stuff

hildajenniJ Fri 22-Jul-16 15:49:14

Stand in a quiet room and pray to St. Anthony. Repeat three times the following:

"St. Anthony, St. Anthony, give back what does not belong to thee."

You will find your card case when you are not looking for it.

Well, it works for me, or perhaps it's just coincidental.

mumofmadboys Fri 22-Jul-16 15:55:44

We hid all our keys one year and couldn't remember where we hid them. I found then six weeks later. Now we make a note of it and put the note in my hubby's wallet.

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-Jul-16 16:11:49

Every time we get home from a trip, I have this panic. Every.Single.Time. So far inspiration has always struck before I've got to the stage of cancelling cards, etc, but next time I'm going to take ninathenana's advice and take a photo of the chosen hiding place.

Though halfway through the holiday I'll probably puzzle a while over that photo of a pair of rolled up socks and then delete it.

Greyduster Fri 22-Jul-16 16:43:09

While you're looking, craftycat, see if you can find DH's last year's diary, which has disappeared and he is driving me demented looking for it. It was always on his side table by the sofa, underneath this year's diary, but it has completely disappeared.....!

Stansgran Fri 22-Jul-16 21:13:36

And I'm still looking for DH'S prescription sunglasses.....and if his favourite comfortable fishing trousers appear I would be so pleased if you. Binned them for me

Cherrytree59 Fri 22-Jul-16 21:42:57

The loft?
I once lost my glasses. Turned the place upside down. Went back to places I had visited,shops etc
Ransacked the car
Nothing, Zilch!
Expensive trip to specsavers.
Next spring weather too warm for a coat. so decided to get the Gillet out of the wardrobe
Lump in the pocket??
Yes the long lost specs!shock

So my advice ...check ALLpockets!

oznan Sat 23-Jul-16 09:36:00

Inside the pages of a book?Behind a piece of furniture?

Hopefully not in the lining of the oven.

GrandMotherof4 Sat 23-Jul-16 09:44:21

Write it down and put it in the tea caddy. First thing you will do when you get home!

grandmaz Sat 23-Jul-16 09:45:17

in a plastic bag in the laundry powder box? Anywhere amongst your gardening gloves/tools/ paraphenalia?

How annoying for you!

Disgruntled Sat 23-Jul-16 09:48:49

When I was clearing out my mum's home I found her engagement ring carefully hidden in the cupboard under the bathroom hand basin.
But I agree with others who say stop thinking about it and your subconscious will work it out.
Good luck!

MammaN Sat 23-Jul-16 09:50:43

Brilliant Nina must remember to tell DH.

Every holiday DH hides EVERYTHING - cards, car keys, extra door keys, wills, deeds etc etc. He tells me where he's put them (so that I remember when he doesn't). When we get back he'll perhaps find the most necessary things but others stay hidden until we need them - by which time he has totally forgotten where they are. A couple of months ago, when we returned from holiday, I needed my car keys - but he'd gone out. Of course I hadn't listened when he'd told me where everything was and spent a frantic half hour searching until I found them. I think any thief would be much better at this game than either him or me.

ChrisCross Sat 23-Jul-16 10:06:10

Behind a picture in a picture frame?? Taped to the underside of a drawer. I do shorthand - the old Pitmans and write myself a shorthand note of where things are on the basis that a burglar wouldn't have a clue what all the squiggles were!

Craftycat Sat 23-Jul-16 10:20:02

Well OF COURSE they were in a saucepan in the saucepan drawer! Where else would it have been!!
Luckily I cooked last night - if it had been salad it could have been a long wait.
Next year I will take advice & put note in tea caddy or send myself an email.

Thank you for all the great suggestions of good hiding places though.
I do wish I had remembered first before I found them- I am still worried it is the start of the inevitable. But then I have always been scatty.