Gransnet forums

Chat

Have recent Bus Cuts effected you?

(17 Posts)
12Michael Sun 24-Jul-16 06:43:03

I am in a situation , where you had a good service from Brackley to Bicester , as I preferred Bicester to Banbury.
Its an easier place to shop in.
But yesterday as Oxfordshire County Councillors decided to start those cuts from July 20th.
I noticed even in Sainsburys café , yesterday those villagers which used to come in are not there, so the café was not doing the trade it had weeks before.
Mick

Mumsy Sun 24-Jul-16 07:16:02

Bus companies are making the cuts due to free bus passes, they are losing money so therefore have to make the cuts to recoup some funds. I think it would be a better idea if the over 60s made a small contribution towards their bus ride (yes Im over 60) like charging them half price when they show their bus passes.

Where I live there used to be an hourly bus service to the hospital on a Sunday and in the opposite direction an hourly bus into town, now theres none!

suzied Sun 24-Jul-16 07:30:52

But the bus companies don't pay for the bus passes do they? Aren't they paid for by the local authorities?

Bellanonna Sun 24-Jul-16 07:41:32

Yes it's a local authority concession

whitewave Sun 24-Jul-16 07:45:51

But a central government initiative. So in theory funded by central government - almost certainly cut.

DaphneBroon Sun 24-Jul-16 07:49:06

Exactly suzied and no way do the users of bus passes deprive the bus companies of income by taking up "paying" seats. I can only think that the Council have cut what they are paying the bus company in yet another cost cutting measure. It is shameful and I suppose another of the spin offs from privatisation. Sorry to hear this mick. sad

12Michael Sun 24-Jul-16 08:25:50

As to the Bus Pass , you do not have to have one, its not compulsory.
The Pass is done by the County Councils and Metro areas such as west midlands , London , Manchester etc.
You apply for it, it costs £100 to produce including your photo, plus your proof of ID such as Birth Certificate.
The Bus Operators claim this money in bulk quantifies regardless of where the holder lives, some from D of T, and local county councils.
Bus Cuts have been done by County Councillor's who were instructed by the Government to make cuts , and in some areas Bus Passengers have had the worst of it such as Oxfordshire, as to the Bus Pass the technology on buses is not up to scratch, where you place your card on one machine ,and then on another to record your actual journey unlike the Oyster Card , where your journey length is taken from the amount you have put on the Oyster Card yourself money wise.

whitewave Sun 24-Jul-16 08:29:55

My family in Cornwall originally had a little branch line train station and a local bus station.

Then both were taken away and for years the village had nothing. Now it does - I think still have a bus service but I do wonder for how long.

chelseababy Sun 24-Jul-16 08:38:23

Presumably the cost will eventually reduce as can no longer get bus pass at 60. Though people living longer? How do they afford free bus passes in Scotland and Wales?

cathymum Sun 24-Jul-16 08:54:53

I'm not sure about the effect of bus passes,I know lots of people who make good use of them thus giving the companies business. My area is very rural and the Companies have said they have cut services as they are not used,our village is 4 miles from the nearest town, and have no bus service at all.

GandTea Sun 24-Jul-16 09:12:03

Our service to the station is to be removed soon. The private bus company that has run the service for over 50 years say it is no longer profitable. There is a hope that the council will provide a skeleton service, but not yet decided.

Mumsy Sun 24-Jul-16 09:29:05

The government have slashed the cost given to councils to fund the free bus rides so in turn the councils have had to axe services as they cant afford to keep it going.

GandTea Sun 24-Jul-16 09:43:37

We are in hope that the council will find some money to introduce this as a public service.
The private service that has run for so many years has declined in use over the years as car use has increased. The old service would stop where ever anyone wanted, just ask the driver to stop at your house and he would, or wave and he would stop to pick you up, including livestock if required !

trendygran Sun 24-Jul-16 18:49:47

Found out today after hearing various rumours recently that a bus from near where I live to a local small town will be scrapped from the end of August, thanks to Council cuts. Luckily there is still a service running to the town but it means a longer walk to catch it and a longer walk back with any heavy shopping. Another local bus will now run a loop route .At least those who live in some local villages WILL still have a bus service into the city.

Tegan Sun 24-Jul-16 19:40:41

We can get a bus from Derby to Nottingham for free, but not a bus back so Derby people can go to Nottingham and spend money there. I'm sure that, if older people have to pay to travel into Derby, the main shopping centre will be empty in the week. One of those cost cutting measures that mean that someone, somewhere down the line will be worse off.

Tegan Sun 24-Jul-16 19:47:12

When our village surgery closed it wasn't too great a problem in that there is a regular bus service to the main surgery. I know of some people that would really struggle to pay for that.

MiniMouse Mon 25-Jul-16 11:22:10

Our local bus service stops running at 3.15pm! If you are in town, whether for work or leisure, after that time it's a job for a cab. angry