Gransnet forums

Chat

Starting new life tomorrow

(53 Posts)
TwiceAsNice Sun 24-Jul-16 09:32:06

Tomorrow is going to be the start of my new life. I retired from two jobs this week, one Wednesday, one Thursday and the removals men came to take my furniture etc into storage also on Thursday. Brilliant DD1 came down on Wednesday and worked like a Trojan to help me sort and clean the house with last minute jobs. She left on Thursday night to drive back and I've been staying with my best friend since then (we've been friends since I was 9 I'm now 63)

It's been very sad to say goodbye to people I've worked with for 12 years and I'm moving from South Wales where I've lived all my life ( I'll always be Welsh wherever I live) I've lived within a radius of 20 miles from where I was born all my life, so don't know what Illl be like leaving my friend she is like a sister to me. However the chance to be by my daughters and see my DGD,s every day if I want to is priceless! I've always been 3 hours away from them ever since daughters left for Uni so will be fab to be literally down the road.

It was a nightmare winding up two jobs and sorting out moving house, I'm downsizing from a 3 bedroom house to a 1 bedroom flat so the tip and charity shop had a lot of stuff as I had to be a bit ruthless about what I kept. I'll be living with my youngest daughter for a few months as flat not ready yet. So tomorrow moving to Surrey FOREVER!

I just wanted to share my happiness with you all as you're so supportive on here. Thank you

Judthepud2 Sun 24-Jul-16 09:52:47

Good luck with your new life Twice. It is quite a big upheaval you are facing leaving work, downsizing and moving to a different (dare I say it?) country.

My 2 older daughters live in Surrey and I have often thought it would be lovely to move there. However, house prices in their area are prohibitive and about 4 times what they are here. Anyway, couldn't bear to leave 2 grandsons here. We just fly over about 4 or 5 times a year to see the other 4 DGCs.

Hope your flat works out well for you and that you settle in happily. ?

Anniebach Sun 24-Jul-16 10:05:38

Don't forget your passport or you cannot cross the bridge

I wish you much happiness and remember

CYMRU AM BYTH

glammanana Sun 24-Jul-16 10:08:11

All my very best wishes to you on your move TwiceAsNice we now live in a small one bedroom apartment and after the initial shock of it all we are really pleased with our choice,just remember not to over clutter and be ruthless with your belongings,we made the place more attractive with large mirrors giving the place an illusion of space and light coloured soft furnishings,how lovely to be so close to your DGCs they will be delighted you are so near to them.

Lona Sun 24-Jul-16 10:10:58

Good luck Twice and I hope you'll be very happy. I've just moved (not from choice) and I'm so so happy now. The charity shops are very full too! grin
New life, new adventure flowers

TwiceAsNice Sun 24-Jul-16 10:12:58

Thank you all, you are right Surrey is expensive Jud I'm paying the same for a one bedroom flat as I would pay for a 4 bedroom house in Wales but it will be worth it. Mirrors are a good idea Glamma I'll remember

merlotgran Sun 24-Jul-16 10:17:06

Enjoy your new life, Twice. We're never too old for an adventure.

whitewave Sun 24-Jul-16 10:18:27

TAN not so much rain though!!!! And nice and near London if you like the theatre and all sorts of other stuff. Also not too far away from the South Coast. I think you will settle really well.

Don't get too knackered! Moving is exhausting.

tiredoldwoman Sun 24-Jul-16 10:29:35

You sound delightfully positive and full of energy after all that work ! I feel excited for you . Happy New Life tomorrow !

Alima Sun 24-Jul-16 10:44:17

Here's hoping the move goes well for you. It will be wonderful being nearer your family and there will be many chances of spending time with your friend. Good luck!

Luckygirl Sun 24-Jul-16 10:51:47

How exciting to be setting off on a completely new life! It all sounds wonderful. I am sure that your dear friend will be looking forward to visiting you in your new flat soon. We have just moved home, but have a bit more space at our disposal than one bedroom, so I think you are very brave to be going for the whole hog! Goodness, the clearing out must have been a huge task - good to do it in the summer.

I hope that your new flat is ready soon and that you will settle happily in your new life - the world is your oyster! flowers

Riverwalk Sun 24-Jul-16 11:03:01

Retiring from two jobs and moving house all in one week shock

Very best wishes - I'm sure you'll love Surrey, the weather's better for a start!

Kateykrunch Sun 24-Jul-16 11:26:10

Sounds like a fabulous adventure!, enjoy.

morethan2 Sun 24-Jul-16 11:44:14

Good luck I wish lots of happiness. Keep us posted about how thing go

Elrel Sun 24-Jul-16 11:49:17

Enjoy your new life, you've done the difficult part I think! ??

grannyqueenie Sun 24-Jul-16 12:09:41

I read your post 1st thing this morning and it was a lovely positive start to my day, sadly my wonky phone failed to post my response confused. So here goes again to wish you well as you seize this wonderful opportunity with both hands. Moving to a new area at our age is not for the fainthearted, that's my experience anyway, but with the positive attitude you have it will all be fine....that's my experience too. Enjoy! X

Nannylovesshopping Sun 24-Jul-16 12:20:45

Ooh I love an adventure me, haven't had one for ages, good luck with yours, hope your new life is fabulous!

Willow500 Sun 24-Jul-16 12:32:18

What an exciting new life you're going to have - I hope all goes smoothly with the move. Everything will be very strange for a while and I'm sure you're really going to miss your friend but to be surrounded by family sounds wonderful. Good luck flowers

annsixty Sun 24-Jul-16 12:36:52

I hope your new life is all you want it to be flowers

cornergran Sun 24-Jul-16 12:40:01

It all sounds exciting and so positive, have fun and enjoy, all good wishes for a wonderful future.

jogginggirl Sun 24-Jul-16 13:01:38

Sounds like an excellent plan to me Twiceas ?
Wishing you all the luck in the world, enjoy every minute of this exciting adventure??

Cherrytree59 Sun 24-Jul-16 13:20:41

Happy New home!
It will like being on holiday
Less housework so time to explore
Have you made plans for your BF to come for a visit.
I'm sure the pull of 'The old Country' will mean that you will back for holidays.
Onwards and upwards!
wine and/orbrew when you get to put feet up in your new sitting room.

Cherrytree59 Sun 24-Jul-16 13:23:21

Oops. 'It will be like being on holiday'

TwiceAsNice Sun 24-Jul-16 15:13:27

Thank you all so much for your lovely comments I'll let you know what happens

petra Sun 24-Jul-16 15:42:36

Enjoy your life.