Gransnet forums

Chat

Royals

(156 Posts)
hulahoop Wed 27-Jul-16 17:05:41

I have no problem with the royal family but does anyone feel like me that William and Kate appear to have a lot of holidays I know they don't live in our world but it must make young families annoyed when they can't afford one especially when cost of Kate's going away clothes is usually what it would cost for them to go away .

Jane10 Wed 27-Jul-16 17:09:23

Do they have a lot of holidays? Can't say I'd noticed particularly. Every now and then they offer a photo opportunity. Its nice to see the wee ones but I would be quite happy not to if it meant less press intrusion on their lives.

whitewave Wed 27-Jul-16 17:10:23

My paper doesn't report much about the royals at all. So not aware of any of their holidays. Where do they go?

aggie Wed 27-Jul-16 17:12:56

Do you mean the Official engagements and trips drumming up trade and selling Britain as a tourist destination ?

kittylester Wed 27-Jul-16 17:13:52

Why is this under Grandparenting. I get quite confused!

ninathenana Wed 27-Jul-16 17:29:40

I read Kate is away on holiday at the moment. I can't remember if Wills has gone too.
Not really interested, just saying. smile

hulahoop Wed 27-Jul-16 19:50:42

Sorry put this in wrong thing must just be then don't mean official engagements

NotTooOld Wed 27-Jul-16 21:26:47

Yes, I expect they do have a lot of holidays because they are rich and don't actually do much work. Oh, look, now you've got me started.......... grin

Newquay Thu 28-Jul-16 00:31:04

Yes don't get me started on the royals-biggest benefit scroungers in the land!
Absolutely shameful how this (extended)family is kept in wealth that even ordinary wealthy people can only dream of.
While so many struggle to find work, jobs. . .
Will duck down behind a wall now.

Anniebach Thu 28-Jul-16 09:04:50

William only works 40 hours a month and does very few royal duties because he wants to spend time with his children . Wonder if every father of young children could claim benefits and only work part time so they could spend time with their children .

I never understand how they do the rare tour abroad and so bring in tourism, do Americans , Chinese, Australians , Europeans etc realy choose to visit the UK to see the windsors ? Bucking palace is further down the list if popular tourist attractions than the London eye,

DaphneBroon Thu 28-Jul-16 09:32:58

I suppose we were due for another thread knocking the Royal family and the same old same old will be trotted out from those in favour, those against and those not bothered either way as long as it doesn't scare the horses.
Ah well, it passes the time until the next Brexit/General Election/Labour Party leadership thread. hmm

Ana Thu 28-Jul-16 09:34:46

Yes, Daphne...sigh

Anniebach Thu 28-Jul-16 09:41:42

Just as ardent royalists will come out with the same old

Ana Thu 28-Jul-16 09:47:53

I assumed that was covered by Daphne's 'the same old same old will be trotted out from those in favour, those against and those not bothered either way...'

DaphneBroon Thu 28-Jul-16 09:51:04

Oh yes, anniebach I was careful to remain even-handed as ana has noted tcrsmile

Anniebach Thu 28-Jul-16 10:02:45

And the usual will trawl threads looking to nit pick, usually in twosomes

DaphneBroon Thu 28-Jul-16 10:13:18

tcrconfused who, what, why?

Lilyflower Thu 28-Jul-16 10:13:47

I find it useful to compare myself down rather than up. This way I feel grateful rather than resentful.

henetha Thu 28-Jul-16 10:16:23

Oh leave them alone!

Anniebach Thu 28-Jul-16 10:22:05

Why should anyone feel inferior or superior to others

chrissyh Thu 28-Jul-16 10:33:28

I think you'll find they are official engagements and if you'd like to be doing them, then good luck.

sluttygran Thu 28-Jul-16 10:37:08

Quite right, Anniebach. I don't feel inferior or superior to the Royals, but they are definitely 'haves' where so very many people are 'have nots'.
Having said that, in the unequal society we inhabit, I don't think that royal personages are the worst offenders.
I am not mentioning any names. Sir Philip Green

Anniebach Thu 28-Jul-16 11:11:23

Official engagements ? Skiing is an official engagement ? They live very privileged life styles , if they paid for their privileges good for them but they do not , it is this which is so wrong and then comes the usual - they bring in the tourists, no they do not, tourists in this country visit London to see Buck house etc , I doubt people choose to book a holiday in the UK to see the royals

icanhandthemback Thu 28-Jul-16 12:20:18

They live very privileged life styles as long as they don't want to just go for a walk in the park, say exactly what they think, pop out to the shops, just have a conversation which won't get reported, have a political debate, etc. Oh yes, they have it easy having so little freedom. Give me my life anytime.

Christinefrance Thu 28-Jul-16 12:31:47

You are so right icanhandthemback, life in a goldfish bowl with criticism whatever you do. Not for me.