Gransnet forums

Chat

Useless men

(47 Posts)
watermeadow Wed 27-Jul-16 20:36:44

My daughter moans about her husband and I defend him because he's a wonderful father. Well, she's been away with the children and I've been in and out looking after the dog whilst he's at work.
He's mowed the grass but done NOTHING else, not picked up any toys or clothes left on the floor, not bought anything that's run out, left wet clothes in washing machine and a ton of dry washing on the lines. Today I found the dishwasher full of dirty dishes which had grown mould.
Daughter will be furious when she returns so I've spent hours tidying and cleaning and tomorrow will do about four loads of washing to clear the backlog. They both work full time and the children are little so very busy lives but son in law has had nothing else to do with the children away.
WHY don't men

watermeadow Wed 27-Jul-16 20:38:09

see what needs doing at home?

NfkDumpling Wed 27-Jul-16 20:40:16

I really hope he was grateful that you've saved his bacon. It'll be interesting to see if he gives you the credit.

whitewave Wed 27-Jul-16 20:40:57

Doesnt suit them to see stuff that needs doing

GandTea Wed 27-Jul-16 20:42:30

men need time to see what needs doing

Linsco56 Wed 27-Jul-16 20:51:22

My DH has always been very selective in the little jobs he does around the house. Will vacuum and clean windows.....I was about to write a list, but that's all he does!

I thought the younger generation were different and shared most household tasks...apparently not.

obieone Wed 27-Jul-16 21:09:48

what does "men need time so see what needs doing" mean?

Surely for instance, he would have seen a dishwasher full of mouldy dishes?
They would have smelt wouldn't they?

and toys and clothes on floor?

tanith Wed 27-Jul-16 21:15:20

OH used to be the same but since he's retired he's improved no end to my surprise. He now will load put on and unload the dishwasher, vacuum without being asked , make the bed (he now knows it needs to be left to 'air'first), opens up windows and doors in the morning, put out the recycling/rubbish also without being asked, none of which even registered on his radar before. I have hope for the future wink

Deedaa Wed 27-Jul-16 21:21:50

Mustn't say too much about SIL because he's got the children full time for most of the summer holiday, but I do notice that when DD comes home from work she switches straight into "Mummy" mode, whereas he has to have Downtime with his tablet and something to eat before he does anything practical at all. She often gets home before he has started anything and just takes over.

Pollengran Wed 27-Jul-16 21:32:20

Well that is amazing Tanith, hope indeed. I have always believed that men learn how to act helplessly somewhere that we women don't know. Is it nursery, primary school or a secret hidden male whispering place under a tree somewhere?

They also seem to know how to impress us with sorting things like burst pipes, fuses, car starting etc, although I know some valiant women can do the same.

If only they would stop asking "where is ..." but then it would be boring, and only speaking for myself, I would have nothing to be annoyed about.

numberplease Wed 27-Jul-16 22:03:33

My husband has never done anything, he`d be quite content to live in a pile of muck and rubbish.

ninathenana Wed 27-Jul-16 22:17:23

I'm so lucky,

H will vacuum, clean the bathroom, load the laundry and hang it out and bring it in when dry, clean the oven, load and unload the dish washer deal with the bins and change the bed. He even cooks smile
He's always been the same. He was a very hands on dad too. However, ex SiL now that's a different story !

Bellanonna Wed 27-Jul-16 22:46:14

Can I have him nina ?

hulahoop Wed 27-Jul-16 22:55:54

I'm like you Nina mine does most things doesn't do ironing will if I can't and doesn't always see things what need doing but I look for things to do so I'm as bad in opposite way but he knew when we married I wouldn't wait on him we are equal

Nelliemoser Wed 27-Jul-16 23:06:02

Mine puts the washing machine on and then takes about 45 mins pegging the washing on the line. He eventually does some ironing after hanging everthing up in the spare bedroom to air. That is about it.

Nandalot Wed 27-Jul-16 23:34:59

I think it's in the genes. Twin grandchildren, boy and girl. Girl wants to do everything for herself and boy waits for someone to put shoes on etc. But they can be trained. My DH was waited on hand and foot by his mum, he now cooks, does dishwasher and rubbish. Other jobs if asked. However, will not iron or clean bathrooms!

ninathenana Thu 28-Jul-16 00:01:21

Sorry Bella he's all mine grin

Newquay Thu 28-Jul-16 00:19:58

My DH was the eldest of six so was quite independent and house trained when I got him. He can do, and does, anything. Doesn't need (m)any prompts from me.
He retired before me and had been a teacher so there is an element of control. . . . But, hey, I'm not complaining.
Shame on any mother who allows their children not to be independent and pull their weight.
The hand that rocks the cradle and all that.

Christinefrance Thu 28-Jul-16 08:58:15

Don't always realise how lucky we are, my husband does all the cooking and shopping and will turn his hand to all other household tasks if necessary. We found the household chores split into areas we prefer or are better at. He would not clean as often as I do but I am overly dirt conscious. Have to say sadly that in the event of our demise he would manage better than I.

Mumsy Thu 28-Jul-16 09:02:04

Men do see what needs doing around the house, they dont do anything because they know us women will do it.

Gononsuch Thu 28-Jul-16 09:05:24

Why do you think men get married, it's to replace their mothers.

Beammeupscottie Thu 28-Jul-16 09:06:13

On the whole, Men do what they want to do, Women do what needs to be done.

Indinana Thu 28-Jul-16 09:36:34

My beef with my DH is his untidiness - he simply cannot seem to put things away. If he uses the cream cleaner to clean the hob, he knows exactly where to find it in the cupboard, but then has a memory lapse when it comes to putting it back. Same with everything - peg basket, car shampoo, hammer, screwdrivers, shopping bags - he uses them and just leaves them on a worktop, floor, window seat, kitchen chair/table. When he takes a tablet, if it's the last one in the pack, the empty strip is left on the worktop, about 3 feet from the bin. Why???
BUT he hoovers, goes shopping, washes up, empties the dishwasher, cleans the cooker, does the garden, puts the bins out and brings them back in. And he cooks fairly often too. We have separate bedrooms, and therefore separate laundry bins - he has been doing all his own washing for years, and pegs it out and brings it in (and then leaves it in a pile on the window seat grin). He also washes the cars, takes our son's dog for a long walk every weekday, and walks our daughter's dog a couple of times a week when she comes round.
So all in all, I'm not complaining smile

Charleygirl Thu 28-Jul-16 09:38:26

My ex needed a map to find the kitchen and I am sure never discovered where the hoover lived. Before getting married he survived for years in the army so he must have learned something there.

I spent 3 months in Scotland when my parents were dying and when I returned, he had not thought about changing the bedding. I doubt if he knew where the clean stuff was kept. He was immaculate whenever he went out, but I washed and ironed everything.

Bellanonna Thu 28-Jul-16 09:46:02

Oh indinana, then I'm really lucky there. I never find things strewn around, waiting to be put away. Lucky me. But that's because they weren't taken out to begin with. He does, however, run the washing machine, peg stuff out and bring it in, He also irons and deals with the bins. And he's a few years older than me, so I can't really complain.
Charleygirl. 3 months!! Goodness the bedding probably walked off by itself.