Gransnet forums

Chat

Best & worst "on hold" music?

(34 Posts)
phoenix Fri 29-Jul-16 19:43:45

After many (what seemed like) hours of Vivaldi or Handel (both great composers, and I'm not averse to their music, but on a loop it starts to make me want to scream) I have decided that I like EDF's the best!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EB9avF1EXY

What gets your vote?

vallaza Fri 29-Jul-16 19:54:29

I don't like any of the music while I am on hold. I find that by the time they do answer I have been numbed so much that I have forgotten what I rang for in the first place. Maybe this is why they do it hmm

I would prefer just to be told my number in the queue, and the approximate wait time.

LullyDully Sat 30-Jul-16 08:42:31

Trouble is with the spoken message it can get very annoying when they keep on telling you how important your call is to them with no idea of when they will answer.

It is so rare you can speak to anyone on a phone these days and just talk to a human to explain what you want rather than use a website. Tried to book cream vouchers for my brother's birthday at a stately home, nearly drove me mad.

rosesarered Sat 30-Jul-16 09:10:47

Best, any classical music, worst, Greensleeves .

Greyduster Sat 30-Jul-16 09:30:29

I hate on hold music. I particularly hate snippets of Vivaldi's Four Seasons played in a loop - it makes me want to throw the phone at the wall. I also don't like the on hold message you get when you ring our doctor's surgery, as the person reading it sounds like an air-head with a speech impediment - she cannot pronounce the sound "th", using "v" instead. It drives me wild. Before someone shoots me down, I know people can't help having speech impediments, but if they have one, they shouldn't be reading out on hold messages! Okay, I'm having a grumpy day.

shysal Sat 30-Jul-16 09:54:09

A few years ago, one of the holiday/airline companies used to play 'Walking on Sunshine'. It was fine for the first minute or two, then annoyed me. I think the same would apply whatever the music was. sunshine

jusnoneed Sat 30-Jul-16 10:54:41

I had to phone LV Insurance to renew my Dads insurance a couple of weeks ago and found myself tapping my foot along with their music - a lively country tune, no idea what it is though lol.
Agree that the most annoying are the "your call is important.." etc. If that's the case get more people answering the darn phones.

sunseeker Sat 30-Jul-16 11:43:21

Isn't it amazing that if you phone a company to complain you are left holding on for ages but if you ring the same company to place an order your call is taken immediately!

AlieOxon Sat 30-Jul-16 12:11:08

Any soothing music usually ok. anything rousing makes me angrier and angrier the longer I wait!
But my pet hate is - being ADVERTISED at as I wait. GRRR!

M0nica Sat 30-Jul-16 20:08:21

The very worst? Beethoven's Seventh Symphony played with a disco beat background. I seem to remember that it was the Pensions Agency that used that one and as, at the time, I was a volunteer benefits advisor with Age Concern I had to listen to it frequently.

cornergran Sat 30-Jul-16 20:29:33

There isn't a 'best'! The most irritating so far was a GP surgery playing Things Can Only Get Better. Well, they may have done if there was ever an appointment with my GP of choice.

Cherrytree59 Sat 30-Jul-16 20:41:30

My insurance company plays 'Breaking Glass'!

phoenix Sat 30-Jul-16 22:50:10

I really like the EDF one, actually wish I could get it on a loop, I think it might help me to drift off to sleep!

Buddie Sun 31-Jul-16 09:28:57

Our local water company use Handel's Water Music which they no doubt think witty or appropriate but I feel is adding insult to injury.

JessM Sun 31-Jul-16 09:31:00

Santander. Sounds like a film score for a western. Just as it builds up to a climax and you know the cavalry are finally arriving... it goes back to the beginning of the recording.

silverlining48 Sun 31-Jul-16 09:41:24

When I made a call yesterday I was given a choice as to what style music I would like to listen to while I waited for them to pick up on my ' very important to us ' call. I chose classical. A new experience to me. Wish I could remember who I was calling..but that's another thread

aprilgrace Sun 31-Jul-16 09:54:55

When you ring our doctors surgery they play the most doleful cello music whilst you're waiting. If you're feeling bad anyway( which you tend to be when ringing for an appointment!) it makes you feel 10 times worse.

Diddy1 Sun 31-Jul-16 10:02:44

Like any "calming" music, between the "you are now number 75 in the queue" message.

oldgoose Sun 31-Jul-16 10:36:10

Like many others, I hate 'on hold' music. However I do prefer something beaty and jolly rather than the sad, classical music many seem to choose. Might as well tap my feet and feel upbeat rather than dreary and depressed before I start .

Disgruntled Sun 31-Jul-16 10:45:59

wasn't it wonderful, back in the day, when you either got an engaged tone or a human being answered the phone.....

westieyaya Sun 31-Jul-16 11:32:51

My son was at a cathedral school and their on hold music was 'thine be the glory, risen conquering son' from Judas Macabeus.

annifrance Sun 31-Jul-16 12:00:49

France Telecom English speaking line is bearable. If I hear Greensleeves I scream and put the telephone down.

notyetagran Sun 31-Jul-16 12:07:26

Anything as long as it's "real" and not an electronic version. If I must listen to the first 16 bars of Vivaldi's "Spring" on a loop please at least give me a violin accompanied by an orchestra and not a consort of stylaphones at the bottom of an old fashioned metal dustbin!

radicalnan Sun 31-Jul-16 13:04:06

OVO energy gives you a choice you can press buttons and shift genre......they speak to you as if you, and they, are both human too...almost disconcerting it is.

missdeke Sun 31-Jul-16 13:22:47

I don't really like any on hold music, it's alright for a minute or two but it's the loop thing that's irritating, if they are going to play music why not use a half hour loop then (hopefully) you should only hear it once. I prefer a spoken message, just a you are number so and so in the queue, then no need for anything until you go up in the queue, none of this 'you are important to us' rubbish. My local housing association uses the 'you are number etc' but then gives you the option of leaving your name and number and they will call you back when your position in the queue reaches number 1. Seems to work very well and the call back is always in a reasonable time.