Gransnet forums

Chat

Awful Admission

(28 Posts)
GandTea Fri 29-Jul-16 20:28:17

Mrs P today 29th July 2016 has formally admitted that she has too many clothes shock

Three wardrobes are full and she cannot fit any more in, what will she do ?

hulahoop Fri 29-Jul-16 20:32:12

Go through them if not been worn for 12months give to charity shop

Jalima Fri 29-Jul-16 20:32:24

'Have I worn it in the last two years?' Try it on - 'would I go out to meet friends wearing this?'

If the answer to both is 'no' then send it to the charity shop!

I do wish I could take my own advice. Three wardrobes is fairly conservative.

Grannyben Fri 29-Jul-16 20:45:45

I'm more inclined to say does it still fit! If the answers no I don't delude myself with the notion that I might get back into it one day

Jalima Fri 29-Jul-16 20:46:57

I did get back into some things but they never looked quite right, so they are languishing in the spare room.
Why?

trisher Fri 29-Jul-16 21:14:16

Buy a new wardrobe?

Linsco56 Fri 29-Jul-16 21:37:42

I need to have a good clear out. There are boots/shoes/sandals/trainers/bags/clothes that I haven't even looked at in years.

I really need to be ruthless and clear the whole lot.

Mind made up...doing it tomorrow...bin bags at the ready!

obieone Fri 29-Jul-16 21:44:53

It is a shame that some clothes date.
A dress that looked good 5 years ago, in my case at least, can become quite dated.

Nelliemoser Fri 29-Jul-16 22:10:17

Buy her another wardrobe.

Grannyknot Fri 29-Jul-16 22:57:53

I read posts like this and I think there must be something wrong with me - my clothes fill half a wardrobe. The other half + 1 more is full of husband's clothes.

I buy new stuff and I always think I look quite nice, I promise! grin

Jalima Fri 29-Jul-16 23:09:52

I think you should build her a dressing room GandTea with lots of hanging space, drawers, shelves, cubby holes for shoes and handbags and a door she can shut so that you can't see how much essential stuff she has.

phoenix Sat 30-Jul-16 00:10:42

I keep trying to have a clear out, but as my weight seems to go up and down like a whore's drawers,it isn't easy!

However, my collection of "business suits", varying in size from an 8 to a 14confused, are never likely to be needed again, so they can go, just need to decide the best way.

ninathenana Sat 30-Jul-16 00:12:01

What a coincidence, I read an article today about a woman who cleared out her wardrobe which previously contained 200+ items and shock horror managed to go a whole year using just 37 (I think) items of clothing including coats and footwear. She raised money foe charity doing this.
I couldn't see anything odd in this. I think 37 items is about what was I have.

ffinnochio Sat 30-Jul-16 00:20:12

gk You're not the only one, altho' my husband has even less than me. Perfectly content with that. smile

Coolgran65 Sat 30-Jul-16 01:46:49

37 items ?
I have 37 pairs shoes/boots (feeling I'm extravagant).
But honestly all are from Outlet centres 70% off.

f77ms Sat 30-Jul-16 05:57:53

I use the ` if I haven`t worn it for 1 year then it goes to the charity shop` rule . Except for a beautiful cheesecloth blouse from 1970 in size 6 which probably wouldn`t fit on one arm now but I cannot bare to throw it out .

Willow500 Sat 30-Jul-16 06:04:54

I confess this is me - 3 plus wardrobes full of all sorts of everything for every occasion, more underwear than days in the year and boots, shoes, sandals and other assorted footwear that would fit out a shop! And still I keep buying it! The irony is I never go anywhere - I work from home so don't need to be 'dressed up' and mostly wear the same clothes every day. We hardly ever go on an outing or for a night out either and don't have holidays. My problem also is that new things are kept for best but best never really comes. My only excuse is that once I retire in a couple of years I won't be able to afford to buy them so getting stocked up now seems a good option grin

Nelliemoser Sat 30-Jul-16 08:22:53

OMG 37 pairs of shoes, I can't compete although you have made me think of counting mine now.
There are several pairs of worn out shoes in my garden shed.
I have sort of thought about wearing them for gardening but wellies are better. I dont often go anywhere posh.

Like willow500 I am very bad about keeping clothes for "best" and not getting proper wear out of them.

Gononsuch Sat 30-Jul-16 08:28:18

Is anyone at a age that when they buy something in the back of their mind a little voice is saying, this might be the last time you buy something like that.

But there again, at least I'll look smart when the burn me hmm

Nelliemoser Sat 30-Jul-16 08:36:34

Gononsuch Not really! My worry would be will they be able to find anything respectable to dress me in.
Perhaps I should leave a note requesting them to cremate me in my gardening trousers and wellies.

Christinefrance Sat 30-Jul-16 08:48:45

Charity shop is the way to go, clear some space ready for the new stuff ! !
I have given up saving anything for best apart from a wedding outfit which looks silly when I'm out walking the dogs.

I

Newquay Sat 30-Jul-16 09:13:39

Do you think it's something to do with how little we had as children/teenagers? I LOVE having "nice!" Clothes but I do have a rid out and do not keep buying just for the sake of it either.

rosesarered Sat 30-Jul-16 09:19:05

I do the 2 year rule for clothes too, if they haven't been worn then they never will, and you can give to a charity shop.I have 2 wardrobes, Winter and Summer ( plus another for our coats and jackets.) I always find that I have too many Summer things and not enough Winter things for some reason.

DaphneBroon Sat 30-Jul-16 09:22:22

Gononsuch I am reminded of my Dad saying things like "That will see me out"
???

Falconbird Sat 30-Jul-16 09:54:55

My rule with clothes is - if something feels wrong and looks wrong all day - it goes to the Charity Shop.