Gransnet forums

Chat

Honesty thread about grandchildren

(66 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Sat 30-Jul-16 11:21:52

I'll start.

Younger one has been Kevin the teenager since he was seven (now eleven). Talks in words of single syllables, though much prefers a grunt. hmm Eats fast, with his mouth open. Laughs uproariously at older bruv's non funny jokes. Let's his gran hug him only when his birthday or Christmas is approaching.

Older one puts pics of himself and his best mate doing standing backflips that scare the shit out of his mum and his gran, on Instagram. Not funny. hmm

Jalima Sat 30-Jul-16 11:47:11

Oh thank goodness.
We had a Kevin the teenager who was only 7, but I must say that he is a lot better now he is 8.
(do I put that on the 'Brag' thread?)

morethan2 Sat 30-Jul-16 11:48:00

I've got a grumpy face puller, a sulking pouter, 3 older ones who've got better things to do than see me but like birthday/ Xmas/ odd £20. One that throws a wobbly if he doesn't get his own way. Two that are almost perfect. I love all of them warts an all. I know they love their nutty, scatty Nanna

Iam64 Sat 30-Jul-16 12:14:24

I've just seen the Brag thread and realised what prompted this one ?

BlueBelle Sat 30-Jul-16 12:22:50

So glad others have got a Kevin the teenager I have one I love dearly but he is Kevin to a blooming tee have you watched the episode where he wants to stay up when the parents are telling him to go to bed then once the mother says he can stay up he's like I want to go to bed why are you stopping me .....that mine completely He's the life and soul of the party with his friends and a scowling obstinate stomping grumpy grub at home Don't you luv ' em

Luckygirl Sat 30-Jul-16 12:51:04

We too have a Kevin - now 13, but been this way since about 3! He has an adorable side to him and e get occasional flashes of this, but generally makes sure that this is well hidden! Stroppy and challenging at home, and at school does b****r all.

Maggiemaybe Sat 30-Jul-16 14:25:44

DGS2 aged 2, a whole year ago, had a major meltdown because I wouldn't take him to Wednesday toddler group on Tuesday. Put his hands on his hips, stamped his size 4 foot and shouted "You go home, you go home now", and then, what really impressed me "and take your castle (his Christmas present from us) with you". When I walked into the kitchen, shaking with laughter and trying not to let him see, he toddled after me to demand "Why you not gone yet?". Stroppiness beyond his years. In fact, I'm proud. I'm heading to the brag thread.

NanaandGrampy Sat 30-Jul-16 15:45:52

I can honestly say....my grandkids are awesome ....honest grin grin grin

Nannylovesshopping Sat 30-Jul-16 15:50:38

NanaandGrampy mine too, obviously both take after megrin

Jalima Sat 30-Jul-16 15:51:08

Maggiemaybe
Feeling a bit grumpy (computer problems) today but that really made me laugh!!
grin grin grin

Jalima Sat 30-Jul-16 15:51:28

Mine are the best though grin

Lona Sat 30-Jul-16 16:20:55

Mine are practically perfect in every way! hmm grin

Gagagran Sat 30-Jul-16 16:34:25

DGD3 has always been the stroppy one - very strong willed and definitely destined to make her mark in life.

When she was about 7 she liked to do cartwheels and handstands on the rug in our sitting room but because we were laughing at her antics she demanded "Stop looking at me". So we obeyed and of course that didn't suit little Miss Contrary who then demanded "Stop NOT looking at me".

We still chuckle over that one and she is still at 11, and I suspect always will be, a powerful personality!

Stansgran Sat 30-Jul-16 17:06:58

I was about to post on the other thread as an anti brag. My DGS1 when at nursery was going on a group visit to the adjacent senior day care centre. Instructions included that they were not to hit the old people. With each word he was repeating I hope the nursery teacher had smacked fist into hand for emphasis" faut ( strike hand ) pas ( strike hand ) taper ( strike hand) les vieilles( strike hand) what must have happened on previous visits I do not know. And before you say I'm bragging he is French so speaks French

ninathenana Sat 30-Jul-16 17:43:03

Oldest is sooooo jealous of younger. If I'm helping younger with something older one has to stick his beak in. He takes toys away from the younger one. I'm guessing this is quiet normal though. They are both polite, happy and affectionate but they are only 7 and,4 grin

merlotgran Sat 30-Jul-16 17:47:28

Our current Kevin is just 13. The older DGCs have been there, done that and have emerged as nice human beings.

Only one more Kevin to go....She's twelve next week.

rubysong Sat 30-Jul-16 18:18:06

I hope it is normal, Nina as we have the same. Ours are nearly 7 and 4 and he takes her toys away and interferes when she is playing nicely. He can be lovely at other times and she is a saint to put up with it. (Sorry, that could be construed as bragging.)

TerriBull Sat 30-Jul-16 18:21:52

One of my sons was a Kevin for such a looooong time, there's no way I'm going to be doting granny if my grandchildren boy aged 2 and girl aged 6 now go into the mono syllabic and grunting stage around me. I'll just be non involved grandma who proffers cheek for a kiss, and bestows money at birthday and Cristmas. Just like my grandmas, they never saw me at my worst. I'm not going through any of that again, albeit one step back. I haven't looked at the bragging thread but can imagine. I do remember getting a round Robin letter at Christmas where the opening line was "once again our children makes us proud to be their parents" Is there a pass the sick bucket emoticon? My son was at his ghastly worse at the time of this letter. Although I did show it to friends who were staying just after Christmas who also had stroppy teens so it caused a fair amount of shall we say piss taking grin friend read the opening line and commented "I hate them already"

Jalima Sat 30-Jul-16 18:44:38

What is the name for a female Kevin?

Jalima Sat 30-Jul-16 18:46:54

I do remember getting a round Robin letter at Christmas where the opening line was "once again our children make us proud to be their parents"
I bought a paperback book a few years ago with those awful Round Robin letters in them, I may have thrown it into the sick bucket, can't find it now.

Although I confess to having sent them out - so lazy easy, but mine are very realistic (honest)

TerriBull Sat 30-Jul-16 19:03:12

Jalima - Catherine Tate did a female counterpart to Kevin called Lauren, like Kevin but more gobby. Then of course there's always the sublime Vicky "yeah but no" Pollard. Take your pick!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 30-Jul-16 20:34:54

Maggiemaybe that is so funny! grin

Jalima Sat 30-Jul-16 20:40:43

I remember now - but it will have to be Vicky because we have a lovely Lauren who has never been gobby or even Kevin-like!!

Grandma2213 Sun 31-Jul-16 01:51:33

I had sons who had their 'Kevin' times and the spitting on each other was pretty bad. Much, much worse are the DGDs who SCREAM!! (Ages 7 and 4 and the other two 9 and 6.) They play together nicely for a while and then it happens, the ear splitting, brain dissolving scream (that is close, but not close enough to being heard only by dogs!) "I had it first!" "She snatched it off me!" "It's my toy not hers!" Five minutes later I am struggling with the whistling in my ears and the stress induced headache and they are playing happily again!

Gononsuch Sun 31-Jul-16 09:08:47

But Gran, you're here to look after me and Leila.

His 5, and I laughed and cried at the same time.