Gransnet forums

Chat

Why are some people obsessed with true crime

(39 Posts)
Linsco56 Tue 23-Aug-16 14:42:08

One woman in my Monday walking group is totally obsessed with watching a cable tv channel which offers nothing other than details and reenactments of true crime and then seems to take great pleasure in providing everyone with the gory details.

Aren't there enough heartbreaking stories on the news without raking over this type of thing (that she seems to revel in). No one engages or encourages her in this type of conversation but that doesn't to stop her. Is she seems to be taking pleasure in these evil acts...Why?

ninathenana Tue 23-Aug-16 15:36:06

No idea. Quiet sad if you ask me.

grannylyn65 Tue 23-Aug-16 16:11:37

Am hoping to get a few ideas ! ??

gettingonabit Tue 23-Aug-16 16:25:00

I love true crime. blush. It's not about the goryness or the sensationalism, though, it's about the process of solving them. I enjoy the analysis, putting together the evidence, building a case, and nailing the perpetrator.

Brilliant.

Mumsy Tue 23-Aug-16 16:28:31

lol @grannylyn.

well Im guilty as charged, I like watching them I also like reading true stories, always have.

Jane10 Tue 23-Aug-16 16:37:35

Its so cruelly prurient. These are awful things that have really happened to real people. These programmes turn other peoples tragedies into entertainment. I really wonder about the people who like this sort of thing. I suppose in the old days they'd be pushing for places at the front near public hangings.confused

Lillie Tue 23-Aug-16 17:05:49

Maybe that's exactly it Jane. Such things could happen to any one of us.

grannylyn65 Tue 23-Aug-16 17:10:40

CBATA !!!

Maggiemaybe Tue 23-Aug-16 17:12:27

Surely it's just a way of escaping from the everyday. Yes, all these cases are someone's tragedy, but it's not as though the spectators are hanging over the bereaved's shoulder, or turning up at court (mind you, I did have an auntie who would queue up with her friend to get into court when an interesting case was being heard!). They're not usually my sort of thing, but I am interested in those that have affected me personally, such as the Yorkshire Ripper case (just because I lived in the area and remember how frightening it all was at the time). I enjoy crime fiction, though, particularly a good psychological thriller.

Maggiemaybe Tue 23-Aug-16 17:20:37

There's a new series on tonight - One of Us - that looks pretty gory, and I've already set it to record blush It's not based on a true story though, as far as I'm aware.

goose1964 Tue 23-Aug-16 17:44:58

I agree it's not about the crime it's about bringing the perpetrators to justice. My SiL is starting uni in september to do Forensic Science so I'm hoping to learn more from him

grannylyn65 Tue 23-Aug-16 17:48:58

Ooo thanks maggie, nearly missed that !!

Mumsy Tue 23-Aug-16 18:03:30

Jane10, Im quite normal really! yes its peoples tragedies but like others I dont watch for the entertainment value as such, I find it interesting with the clues and forensics in finding the perpetrators.
No I for one wouldnt be pushing for a front seat to watch someone being murdered by hanging!

Swanny Tue 23-Aug-16 18:13:34

I once worked with a girl in her early twenties who had (to me) an irrational interest in true accounts of violence and murders. This was in the days before most homes had internet connection and I'd noticed a sharp increase in the cost of our office connection.

When asked about it she acknowledged she had been using it to research such items; a fascination which started in her teens when trying to distract herself from a lifelong mobility disability. We arranged for her to see a counsellor to discuss this, following which she decided to leave to study forensics. I met her again several years later and was sad to learn she had ditched the course after starting an online relationship with an ex-con in America. She'd gone to the states to meet him, had a baby as a result and realised the potential risk to her new-born daughter so escaped back to the UK sad

Pollengran Tue 23-Aug-16 19:29:58

I love true crime and I never thought there was anything wrong with that, till now, blush.

I used to read true crime mags like my Mum and Aunties, then I read all the Ann Rule books, and now I have I.D and Crime and Investigation on my cable Favourites.

It's not about gore, they usually skirt around that, but more about the victims life before the murder, the forensic search after the crime, and the perpetrators background story.

I admit to watching a lot of it when the Olympics were on. So, shoot me..or maybe not smile.

FarNorth Tue 23-Aug-16 19:33:38

That's a very sad story Swanny.

I sometimes read murder mysteries but I have no interest in true crime programmes. I would hate to be forced to hear about these things on a supposedly relaxing walk and would probably stop going if I couldn't stay far enough away from the woman not to hear her re-tellings.

Deedaa Tue 23-Aug-16 22:08:09

I tend to to stick to British crime, but I do like finding out why people have done things and how their guilt has been revealed.

BlueBelle Tue 23-Aug-16 22:26:13

I love the unsolved mysteries not because I like crime but it's the jigsaw puzzle part of my mind that likes to try and find why, how and what ...perhaps I should have been in forensics I also enjoy the physiological side to try and get into the minds of the perpetrator and work out why ? so yes guilty as charge find it much more interesting than most programmes on TV

BlueBelle Tue 23-Aug-16 22:28:18

Pollygran I was watching it instead of the Olympics too

Maryp45 Tue 23-Aug-16 22:53:54

Linsco56, could this lady be suffering from an illness? it seems a very strange topic to talk about. xx

Linsco56 Tue 23-Aug-16 23:23:21

Maryp45 I think she spends quite a lot of time alone and watching TV and she appears to enjoy being quite graphic and shocking others with the details of these horrific crimes.

I can understand why some people may enjoy watching true crime and trying to solve the puzzle or watching the tale unfold but it's not for me.

Perhaps she doesn't have much else to chat about or perhaps she just has a twisted fascination for the macabre. Who knows!

Ilrina Wed 24-Aug-16 00:01:15

If she is out in a walking group why not just tell her that you don't like hearing these things, especially if a few of you find it distasteful. I am saying to tell her to button it( In a polite way)
grin

Pollengran Wed 24-Aug-16 02:26:43

Maybe she hates the One Show, or talking about acorns and sheep dung. Not everyone is the same. It is hard for people to make friends. I wouldn't want to be friends with that walking group, but I would enjoy a coffee with her.

Christinefrance Wed 24-Aug-16 08:54:04

It is interesting to see how crimes are solved or not. In this case think it's a matter of balance and many of us have hobbies we could bore people with if we talked about it incessantly.
Maybe you need to move the conversation into different areas and be quite firm about it, some people always manage to dominate a conversation whatever the topic.

mrsjones Wed 24-Aug-16 09:51:07

I enjoy watching and reading crime stories as I like picking up on the clues and solving the puzzle but it's not the only interest that I have. Any subject can become boring to the listener if talked about all the time whether it's holidays, sport or children/grandchildren etc.

As it is a walking group I'd just walk on and chat to someone else.