Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you think this is true?

(40 Posts)
TinyTwo Thu 25-Aug-16 09:27:23

According to this article older people are happier than people in their 20s? I think I was probably happiest in my twenties - newly married - and although financially things were tough it somehow didn't worry us too much and was part of the adventure. I'm happy enough now of course and grateful to be so- but not sure it's my best stage of life. What do others think?

Mumsy Thu 25-Aug-16 09:38:41

It depends on how fit you are and how financially well off you are. I would say I was at my happiest in my teens definetly not now in old age!

DaphneBroon Thu 25-Aug-16 09:38:44

I don't believe it can be generalised or categorised by age. Circumstances vary so much. My mum used to quote a German saying which translates as "little children, little worries, big children, big worries" so what seems insurmountable in your teens (acne, exams, friends, body image) may be replaced in your 20's and 30's (getting a mortgage,and house, promotion at work, babies) in your 40's (children's schools, house prices, maybe promotion or lack of it) and in your 60's and over (pension, health issues, distant grown up children, housing -again- loneliness) .
What makes you HAPPY will change too. I suppose it all depends on the balance, but by our later years we have perhaps learned to take what happiness we can, while we can!

sunseeker Thu 25-Aug-16 09:41:23

To say older people are happier than people in their 20s is a rather sweeping statement. Some may be happier but some will have suffered loss of loved ones and friends, whilst those in their 20s will have their whole lives in front of them and, as you say, the adventure.

I try not to think about whether I am happier now than when I was younger. I have a different view on life now and prefer to make the best of every day and, I think, the adventure continues!

Jane10 Thu 25-Aug-16 09:44:35

I'm definitely happier now than I was in my twenties. My 40s were good, 50s OK but 60s so far are great. Tempting providence just saying that I suppose. However, its important to recognise a good time while you're in it so I do! So far so good.

PRINTMISS Thu 25-Aug-16 09:48:12

I think probably as you get older, and eventually retire, life gets easier, (if you are fairly healthy and not poor) which makes for a different kind of happiness to the ones we had when we were younger.
There is the sadness too, of losing life-long friends.

Greyduster Thu 25-Aug-16 09:52:35

I was definitely not happy in my twenties. I didn't feel as if I had found my true potential until I hit my mid thirties. Approaching seventy at a rate of knots, what I have now is a different kind of happiness. It is all relative.

Christinefrance Thu 25-Aug-16 12:35:04

Think I would say now I am content, out of the rat race, able to keep reasonably healthy, family all moving on well with their lives. Happy with husband, animals, friends and voluntary work . Probably more ups and downs in my twenties but a good future to look forward to.

millymouge Thu 25-Aug-16 12:38:22

Daphne I think what you have said is very true. Each age has its worries and it's compensations.

wot Thu 25-Aug-16 12:59:31

I made up a new saying yesterday, to remind myself..."appreciate what you've got while you've got it!" Instead of me looking back and wishing I'd realised how good things were then. If that makes sense.

carerof123 Thu 25-Aug-16 13:40:36

Personally i am loving life at the moment. I retired last year and not to have the daily slog of the workplace is heaven!!! I feel fitter, have lost nearly a stone with out trying, enjoy a nice social life through my bowls club, am able to see my darling sister at least once a week and we go swimming or out on a day trip, we are also going on holiday together next year as my husband doesn't do holidays. I have something to look forward too every week, bowling, meeting friends or family, or looking after my grandchildren. Of course i have moments of worry about finances like everyone else but i have trained myself to think, maybe in a few years i might not be so fit and well or have the opportunity to go anywhere so make the most of life now!!! My husband and i live quite frugally really, we dont drink or smoke we dont have large shopping bills and choose what we eat with care. We dont claim any benefits and are living on pension and savings, so yes we are happy and content with our lives in our 60's.

cornergran Thu 25-Aug-16 14:24:38

Exactly wot smile

BlueBelle Thu 25-Aug-16 17:33:39

I am definitely not happier now my happiest times, although hard work and worryingly difficult at times, was when my kids were little ones and would cuddle up on my knee for a bedtime story nothing can come close to that

wot Thu 25-Aug-16 17:38:26

Never had that so can't miss it. Perhaps the happier one's former life has been, the more you miss it?

Ilrina Fri 26-Aug-16 00:30:06

I am not happy at all with my present situation. Was probably happiest in my 30's. I wish every night now that I just do not wake up again, end of!

f77ms Fri 26-Aug-16 06:45:56

llrina sorry about whatever is making you so upset ,flowers

LullyDully Fri 26-Aug-16 07:59:38

So sorry Ilrina.flowers
What you feel.at which age depends on your life at the time surely. Pretty happy always but must be a bit of a Pollyanna.
Would like to have 20 year old self with a bit of what I know now.

jackiekiel Fri 26-Aug-16 10:20:23

I'm in my early seventies and am unhappier than I've ever been. There's a very good reason for this, though. My beloved partner died of a sudden heart attack and I can't come to terms with not having him here.

dragonfly46 Fri 26-Aug-16 10:31:30

I was happiest when my children were at home with us, especially when they were teenagers and almost adults. I remember thinking at the time that I would never be happier. Also we were living in Holland the life there was wonderful. Coming back to England and the children leaving home was a real shock. I am content now and not unhappy despite being tied by very elderly parents but it is not the same as having young people around.

wot Fri 26-Aug-16 10:35:10

Jackiekiel, so sorry xflowers

hulahoop Fri 26-Aug-16 10:42:54

I enjoyed my thirties with young children but also had sad times losing parents I feel each decade as good and bad things I try to enjoy every age you will never see that age again . ?To all not feeling too happy at moment

Diddy1 Fri 26-Aug-16 10:57:29

My best time was mid twenties, had a wonderful Nursing career, met my Husband, moved to Sweden, still here, although wish I wasnt sometimes,DH passed away some years ago, but quite satisfied with life at present, 75 this year.
So sorry to hear about Ilrina and Jackiekiel, hope things improve, best wishes.

radicalnan Fri 26-Aug-16 11:07:00

I also feel that every day is just another struggle looming. I fear so much for the future and the state pf this world. I have lost so many people dear to me, and my health is poor.

Loneliness is acknowledged to be one of the causes of death now as it brings with it depression etc. No answer to that because I am lonely for people who have gone and my life also which has gone and I feel wasted.

tigger Fri 26-Aug-16 11:12:32

Of course we are happier than today's twenty year olds, we have the benefit of work pensions; state pensions, many of us have paid off our mortgages and wondering whether to downsize. Whereas, young people are facing a hard time, struggling to get on the housing ladder, no job security etc.etc. We gransnetters are the fortunate ones even though things seemed so difficult at the time.

Tudorrose Fri 26-Aug-16 11:24:04

I was happiest in my 30s & 40s. We were able to move to a slightly better house, my boy & girl were happy in a good school close to home. I had friends & family around. We now live on the south coast and settled after missing the Midlands for quite a while. I felt very blessed with my life, nice home, wonderful husband happily married children, one only 10. Mins away, 3 beautiful gch. Now my lovely life has collapsed with a diagnosis of PD. I am devasted & feel I will never be happy again.