Gransnet forums

Chat

It seems like only yesterday.....

(10 Posts)
merlotgran Fri 26-Aug-16 22:38:11

Just flicked over to the Reading Festival on BBC4 (won't be staying long) and somewhere in that vast crowd are our two eldest DGSs (cousins)

One is already at uni and the other one goes in two weeks.

Where oh where do the years go?

ninathenana Sat 27-Aug-16 00:19:06

By chance I met the husband of an ex work colleague who is sadly deceased last week. They emigrated to Oz several years ago and he'd come home for his granddaughter's wedding.
I had the same fealing, couldn't believe she was old enough. Even more poignant when it's your own GC

grannyactivist Sat 27-Aug-16 00:25:42

My niece is visiting us at the moment and I've been having the same thoughts; it seems such a short time ago that her mother would turn up at my house lugging her baby around in a moses basket. Now the baby is approaching thirty and a very lovely young woman.

numberplease Sat 27-Aug-16 00:36:30

We were watching an ad for Lightwater Valley last night, and I said "We were there on the day that Jenny (GC2) was born." then suddenly realised, Jenny is now 24!

rubylady Sat 27-Aug-16 04:23:27

Watching Eastenders and seeing that Ian and Max are now grandfathers is such a weird feeling as I remember Ian coming into it as a teenager.

I think it hits you too when you think you are the mother of a nearly 30 year old! I'm only 25 myself! grin

Christinefrance Sat 27-Aug-16 07:16:08

Yes every time I look in the mirror there is an old woman looking back, I know I'm young so who is she?

PRINTMISS Sat 27-Aug-16 08:18:50

That's the trouble ruby it is the children who 'age' you, you just cannot be 35 and have a 25 year old son/daughter.

BBbevan Sat 27-Aug-16 08:28:53

ruby my daughter is 51 I tell everyone I was a child bride grin

Greyduster Sat 27-Aug-16 08:38:14

There is a picture on my dressing table of DS sitting on his rocking horse. He is about eighteen months old. The bearded article that comes through my door today asking what's for lunch will be fifty next year. DD is 45. Where did my babies go while I wasn't looking? (Mind you, they still behave like stroppy toddlers sometimes!).

millymouge Sat 27-Aug-16 08:55:05

Noticed this particularly last week when GD2 came round. Had never been interested in clothes or hair styles. The young lady that came with a big hug and a "hello Nana" and is rising 14 had a little make up and hair nicely styled. I had her from 6 weeks when mum had to go back to work.My DD1is 49, DD2 is 47, DS 44 and grandchildren spaced from 22 down to 4. Where have all those years gone? Happy years thoughsmile. Wouldn't have missed one.