Gransnet forums

Chat

Changes as we age

(27 Posts)
watermeadow Sun 28-Aug-16 13:01:40

I think old age is like adolescence in that we change rapidly. As my body slumps and my skin wrinkles my tastes are changing.
As I grew up I began to like mushrooms and broad beans and now I've discovered I like beetroot! My mother always sliced beetroot in vinegar, which I've always loathed. If I live long enough will I start liking pickles or fish or runny eggs?
What can't you see yourself ever eating?

Alima Sun 28-Aug-16 13:10:45

Anything vaguely gloopy involving poultry where the result is quite pale and well, gloopy. Milky puddings, rice, tapioca etc. Simply cannot eat that stuff.

Charleygirl Sun 28-Aug-16 13:16:15

I agree, any sort of beetroot for me, no matter how well disguised it is.

Custard, and also any milky puddings. I am not really a fan of desserts, any type unless it was fruit.

I would also add fried and poached eggs to the list and also tea. I am a coffee fan.

Swanny Sun 28-Aug-16 13:31:21

I could never stomach the thought of eating whelks, mussels, winkles etc. Used to eat (and enjoy) prawns but then developed an allergy to them about 30 years ago so that was that. Not very keen on fish in general.

In recent years I've been drinking more tea and less coffee, which is a change I did not anticipate at all brew

Gagagran Sun 28-Aug-16 13:36:35

Me too Swanny - gone off coffee and more onto tea. Last time that happened was in the early days of pregnancy! (NO I AM NOT!)

Used to like potatoes, especially chips and roast potatoes but don't like potatoes at all now. How strange that our tastes should change and I wonder if watermeadow has hit on something to do with our ageing bodies. Hormonal changes perhaps? Interesting.

DanniRae Sun 28-Aug-16 13:39:53

I'm with you Swanny can't stand the thought of whelkes etc and how people can eat snails, however they are served up, amazes me. Oh, I don't like the look of oysters too.

I'm a tea drinker and if I have coffee it has to be decaf.

ninathenana Sun 28-Aug-16 13:42:11

I will never like anything remotely spicy. Or as GS describes it "fizzy on my tongue" I haven't yet noticed my taste buds changing.

Greyduster Sun 28-Aug-16 14:10:16

Bread pudding, summer pudding, or anything that requires bread to be soaked in liquid of any sort. I have never been able to stomach the thought of it. Jellied eels, and anything with tentacles (though I do like squid, but only if I don't have to eat the tentacles). That's about it really. I have always loved any kind of shellfish including whelks. I don't think my tastes have changes as I've got older, but my stomach is now less tolerant of spicy foods and I am less inclined recently to drink beer or red wine. I'm going off alcohol shock. Never saw that one coming!

KatyK Sun 28-Aug-16 14:22:59

As a child I would never eat cheese because I didn't like the look of it. I love it now unfortunately for my waistline. These days I couldn't eat a fried egg, a runny boiled egg, prawns, squid, belly pork (yuk), liver (although I used to love it) offal of any description or anything fatty or slimey.

Linsco56 Sun 28-Aug-16 15:23:50

Sweetbread, tripe, black pudding, haggis (being Scottish haggis shouldn't repulse me, but it does!).

The more I think about certain foods the more I think it wouldn't take much to make me vegetarian.

NanKate Sun 28-Aug-16 15:39:12

My D in L has recently introduced me to roast beetroot it is really good and has an earthy taste.

I can't eat those ice creams covered in ice lolly they used to very called a Mivvy yuk.

Oysters look like sn*t in a shell so I won't ever try them. shock

Otherwise I eat most things.

NanKate Sun 28-Aug-16 15:39:46

Be not very hmm

Lona Sun 28-Aug-16 16:01:36

I've never been a fussy eater but I've noticed, in the last year or so, that sometimes I really can't face some foods. (Hasn't affected my chocolate consumption yet though!)
I wonder if it is an age/hormonal thing?
I would never ever eat jellied eels!

Galen Sun 28-Aug-16 16:21:05

I've just discovered I like lemon drizzle cake blush

Marmight Sun 28-Aug-16 16:50:18

I loathe skin on anything, wobbly fat, most things which come out of a shell or an animal's head, most meats in fact and hot curries. I have recently reacquainted myself with beetroot after a lifetime of disgust following an unfortunate incident at boarding school 55 years ago,so long as it hasn't been near vinegar and have discovered fennel which I love. I have an unhealthy passion for macaroni cheese and have recently gone off mushrooms, runner beans and onions. Strange thing taste confused

Auntieflo Sun 28-Aug-16 17:09:24

Red wine, how can I not like red wine. I didn't like it when a lot younger, then found a taste for it, but it has gone. sad

gettingonabit Sun 28-Aug-16 18:40:26

I find that I have an almost physical reaction to tomato ketchup. It tastes metallic and tangy now. So no more beans. I've also gone right off McDonalds, partly because of the tomato ketchup but also...i dunno...that kind of food just doesn't hit the spot any more thankfully.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 28-Aug-16 19:34:46

NanKate shock

There are less than a hundred calories in a Mivvie! What's not to like?! wink

hulahoop Sun 28-Aug-16 20:20:15

Tripe sea food eels am not a lover of fish only really like haddock and cod wish I did like it more salmon always looks nice but don't like the taste. Don't like any fat on meat either !,

Wobblybits Sun 28-Aug-16 20:43:53

Hulahoop, we should get together, i love all the things you don't. Love sea food, tripe, eels etc etc.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 29-Aug-16 09:59:02

When I mentioned Mivvies there, I was actually thinking of Soleros. hmm]

POGS Mon 29-Aug-16 11:10:45

I hated milk as a child , being 'forced to drink school bottles of milk even if it made me urge!. I couldn't even put it on cereal but I can now albeit in the past few years.

Garlic! It was yukky, smelly devils spawn but now I love garlic bread etc.

Still detest Avocado and olives and try as I might I don't think they will ever work for me.

henetha Mon 29-Aug-16 11:13:07

I can't see myself ever being happy to eat kidneys. Yuk!

Maggiemaybe Mon 29-Aug-16 11:23:14

I couldn't eat anything involving offal, innards, blood, 'orrible bits. Apart from that, I don't like fat, whelks or eels, so I've always been easy to please.

I can still eat pork, baked beans and mushy peas, but just don't seem to care for them any more. I used to love the last two.

Maggiemaybe Mon 29-Aug-16 11:25:15

I really want to hear more about the unfortunate beetroot related incident grin