Gransnet forums

Chat

What is so appealing about.....

(34 Posts)
Indinana Sun 28-Aug-16 13:21:18

... car wing mirrors as a site for spiders to spin their webs? Do they just enjoy watching themselves in the mirror while they work? grin

(With apologies to people who dislike cryptic headers wink)

tanith Sun 28-Aug-16 13:30:15

Oh my tell me about it, the wing mirrors on both of our cars are always a fest of spider web I brush it off all the time but they always come back I keep meaning to buy some spray to try and get rid of the little devils..

tanith Sun 28-Aug-16 13:31:03

Also in the back window wiper which hasn't been used much this Summer..

ninathenana Sun 28-Aug-16 13:31:08

When you find out please tell me grin
I have a little blighter that's been ensconced for weeks.

Indinana Sun 28-Aug-16 13:40:52

The thing is, it doesn't how often the webs are brushed off because the darn spider just crawls back inside the wing mirror and then comes out and rebuilds when it's safe. Flushing them out with a hose doesn't seem to work and I definitely don't want to use insecticide because they're not doing any harm.
I think I might just have to learn to love them grin

M0nica Sun 28-Aug-16 21:14:20

Yes, the spider season is here, all over the car, especially the windows and I keep walking into threads of webs spun across doors in the house. Usually within hours of doing the cleaning.

SueDonim Sun 28-Aug-16 22:39:20

I had a wasp on the bonnet of my car this morning. I didn't notice until I had set out and it sat there for at least five miles before being blown away! grin

In other news, dh noticed that next door's hedge was festooned from top to bottom with spider webs this morning. :paranoid:

Maranta Sun 28-Aug-16 22:54:41

I often find snails on my car! They live in the garage roof which is all covered with creeper and moss. Some have stayed with me for miles. ? ? ?

Nelliemoser Sun 28-Aug-16 23:07:50

You should see my porch! It's full of spiders, spiders nests and cobwebs. Time I did some porch cleaning instead of rounding up all those horrible orange spanish slugs.

Jalima Sun 28-Aug-16 23:15:41

I think they're just there for the ride Indinana grin

Theoddbird Mon 29-Aug-16 08:16:41

I have resident spiders in my wing mirrors. They are the adventurous ones who yearn to travel smile

moxeyns Mon 29-Aug-16 08:42:56

How do they hang on at 70MPH? One of the mysteries of nature...

brunswick Mon 29-Aug-16 10:00:51

Yes me too - webs on both of my wing mirrors. Also spiders love my place . I have a light outside - a round flat flueroscent and they hide under there \(or rather live under there)because at night the insects are attracted to it. I now and then see the spiders poking out, if they are right out I get a broom and brush them off. But it is a constant battle. Although now I have got clever and have noticed nests up there so I brush them off and I think I have stopped the worst of the population!! If indoors and able to reach i pick them up with a kitchen towel and put them outside, if not able to reach I hoover them, although dont really like doing this. Or the glass and cardboard thing. I have just seen in one of the catalogues a spider stayaway spray - it has chestnut oil extract in it, I am ordering it tomorrow!! I tried the conker thing, had them all round doors, windows etc but didnt work - although seeing a post on here apparently you have to prick the conker, which is obvious I suppose.

Kitspurr Mon 29-Aug-16 10:13:47

It's a beautiful thing. I love seeing spiders popping out of my wing mirrors, but I'm always worried that driving will damage them. The garden is full of spiders webbs glistening in the sun - lovely.

barbaralynne Mon 29-Aug-16 10:14:54

Don't know if it is the reason but my "new to me" car has electric wing mirrors and I put them in every time I put the car in the garage and when I park in public car parks. And I don't have spiders! ?

f77ms Mon 29-Aug-16 10:16:56

Agree Kitspur I love to watch them make a web , the only creatures I really dislike are flies , yuk .

milkflake Mon 29-Aug-16 10:55:39

I went to the car wash and the man with the high power hose was laughing as he washed out a whole family of spiders!
I hate spider season.

Maisiejo Mon 29-Aug-16 10:56:53

We also have this happen a lot and I always worry that they will come to harm when driving. A spiders web covered in dew is such a beautiful thing to see and I hate breaking one up when they have worked so hard! I go around them whenever possible.
I always remember the saying ' if you want to live and thrive let the spider go alive'.

annodomini Mon 29-Aug-16 11:38:31

One autumn morning stays in my memory: we were with a friend and her children, looking for late blackberries on the common. The sun was at exactly the right angle to illuminate the thousands of dew-drop spangled spiders' webs. It was a magic sight.

Pamish Mon 29-Aug-16 11:42:11

Spiders eat the weight of the UK human population in bugs (various) every year. Just sayin'.

Craftycat Mon 29-Aug-16 11:42:46

I got a new car with a reversing camera recently & believe me spiders also love making webs over those too. The first time it happened I wondered what on earth was behind my car & got out several times to check before I realised what it was. The damn thing does it most nights- I do hate having to break it but I'm hoping it will get the message soon.

Jalima Mon 29-Aug-16 11:44:43

These webs could cover your car and your house!

news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/06/spiders-ballooning-tasmania-floods-animals/

sunseeker Mon 29-Aug-16 12:02:38

Try using a spider repellent spray - it doesn't hurt them, they don't like the smell.

millymouge Mon 29-Aug-16 12:14:50

Yes I have cobwebs on both my wing mirrors. Brush them off every time I go out and next day the little critters are back again. They have even managed to still be there after I have been through the car wash. It always amazes me how they manage to hold on even doing 70 down the motorway, must like the wind in their hair grin. Lovely seeing the webs with dewdrops on them on an autumn mornings, we used to tell the children spiders webs were the material for fariry skirts.

nannypink1 Mon 29-Aug-16 12:35:59

I thought it was just my car!!! Every day the wing mirrors covered in webs. Glad I read this thread. Thank you smile