Gransnet forums

Chat

Victoria

(17 Posts)
Linsco56 Mon 29-Aug-16 13:55:36

Did anyone else really enjoy this last night? Sunday night TV has been really boring during summer and this made a nice change. It's on again tonight (glad I looked at the TV listings or I'd have missed it).

Jenna Coleman (I remember her best from playing Ashley's niece in Emmerdale) was a great casting choice and Rufus Sewell who plays Prime Minister Melbourne is rather nice in a weird brooding kind of way!

Ilrina Mon 29-Aug-16 13:57:38

No good for me I don't watch Television.

rosesarered Mon 29-Aug-16 13:57:38

Have recorded this series to watch, reading about it,( gets a good write up) it sounds worth seeing.

wot Mon 29-Aug-16 14:02:32

I've always been fascinated by the Victorian era, so I'm going to love this series! I hope there's going to be some scenes and stories about the "ordinary" people in it, though. They are the most interesting to me.

Iam64 Mon 29-Aug-16 14:33:31

My husband planned to watch, I'd planned to read but found myself drawn to watch as it was so good. The relationship between the young queen and the PM was portrayed well. I apologise for being shallow but the costumes were great. Yes wot, I hope we see scenes nit all set in court and castles. The Victorians left such legacies for furure generations

ninathenana Mon 29-Aug-16 14:58:04

Critic in todays paper made the comment that perhaps something would actually happen tonight smile
Yes, Victoria ws crowned and Lady ? died but apart from that a bit tedious so far.

Linsco56 Mon 29-Aug-16 15:12:12

Most people know enough about Victoria's life to know the series won't be action packed and will probably meander through the decades, but with excellent costumes, settings and good actors it looks promising and good competition for Poldark (which is also enjoyable).

Nelliemoser Mon 29-Aug-16 15:18:52

What I would like to know is how much of this is based on known facts/events and how much on the dramatic licence of the writer.

Linsco56 Mon 29-Aug-16 15:32:54

I recon some of it will be enhanced by dramatic/artistic licence but as the Victorian era is fairly recent history and has been documented, I'm hoping most will be based on fact. Time will tell. I do enjoy a period drama.

wot Mon 29-Aug-16 17:45:25

I'm getting an noted with GN because it shows different screens for the same thread.

Ana Mon 29-Aug-16 17:48:56

There are two threads on the go, wot, this one and another one on TV etc.

Iam64 Mon 29-Aug-16 17:56:43

Nelliemoser, my husband is a history buff (addict). He enjoyed it and said that the story so far is true to what he knows about politics and Victoria's early life. He also expressed real empathy with Victoria, aged 18 and already Queen, what a lot of responsibility. I can't remember the actors name, she is Jenna ?, I thought she was brilliant in this role.

wot Mon 29-Aug-16 18:18:13

Oh!! It all makes sense now! 2 threads....I thought I was cracking up or it was GN fault.

wot Mon 29-Aug-16 18:20:19

I appologise?

Ana Mon 29-Aug-16 18:24:16

Don't be daft! grin
It is confusing - I've posted on both of them.

wot Mon 29-Aug-16 19:41:51

grin

2Nannypat Tue 30-Aug-16 16:27:06

Really enjoyed the first 2 episodes can't wait for her to meet Albert, they were so in love.