Gransnet forums

Chat

HODs weekend

(6 Posts)
trisher Mon 29-Aug-16 18:14:09

Hope you all know about HODs weekend which is from Thursday 8th September to Sunday 11th September . Local places of historical interest are open free of charge and a number of other buildings not usually open are open. There are also some events. Check out these at www.heritageopendays.org.uk/

Greyduster Mon 29-Aug-16 19:50:08

trisher thanks very much for that link. I've bookmarked the page. There's lots of interesting stuff going on in our area, including a tour of a building I grew up knowing, but haven't been inside since I was a child. It used to be a museum, but then reverted to being offices for the parks department. It has a wonderful walled garden which they are also opening up that weekend. ?

trisher Mon 29-Aug-16 20:02:40

Enjoy Greyduster hope you have a great time. I do think more people need to know about it. So many fascinating places.

durhamjen Mon 29-Aug-16 20:36:56

Thanks, trisher. I'll need to persuade someone to take me, as I still can't drive.
Most near me are not on busroutes.

Badenkate Mon 29-Aug-16 22:19:30

Anyone near Oswestry, there are lots of different sites and activities taking place. I'll be washing archaeological finds in the museum from a dig on the castle mound, and DH is running an amateur radio station in the museum - so come and say hello smile

trisher Tue 30-Aug-16 10:19:38

So good to hear from someone else who is involved Badenkate I'm in Newcastle where the City guides are organising a few things, including a walk around the city, opening the Guildhall and All Saints (an elliptical church usually closed to the public and sadly neglected). One year I am going to go off for this weekend somewhere else and see some of the other exciting options!