Gransnet forums

Chat

Sock sorting

(37 Posts)
thatbags Tue 30-Aug-16 09:45:03

Video showing how a computer algorithm suggests doing sock sorting.

Good grief! How to make a mountainous job out of a mole hill sized one! grin I have never found it that difficult. Has any female gransnetter?

I suppose there might be interesting computational spin offs. Aye, right.

Photo is of my socks-awaiting-matching jar. These two have been there for quite a while. I think some sock chucking out may follow this post.

tanith Tue 30-Aug-16 09:50:00

Any odd socks lay in the airing cupboard for a while and then the bin if the absent sock doesn't show up. Its hardly rocket science is it?

seacliff Tue 30-Aug-16 09:54:29

We have a black hole in our house, where odd socks disappear. I am convinced I put a pair in washing machine, but at some point between then and drying, we lose some.I have a big bag of them waiting to be reunited. I tried buying just all black socks for OH, but he keeps getting coloured ones.

I suggested he wears odd socks as a mark of individuality, but that idea didn't go down too well.

ffinnochio Tue 30-Aug-16 09:56:42

All socks went into a basket that lived in the upstairs landing. Pairs rolled, odds on top. Pick and mix for us all.

kittylester Tue 30-Aug-16 09:57:38

I drape mine over the (largely unused) breadmaker until I get really fed up of seeing it and then chuck. Of course, shortly after the corresponding sock appears in a quilt cover or the like! But, then I have another spare sock to chuck. Seems like a really good system to me!grin

Elegran Tue 30-Aug-16 09:58:41

Having to sort socks is one of the reasons we are blessed with colour vision.

It is a great way of teaching toddlers to pick out distinguishing features in a heap of similar objects - a prerequisite to distinguishing letters and numbers and learning to read.

Jayh Tue 30-Aug-16 10:05:50

Where,oh where, do those missing socks go? My theory is that they disappear down the washing machine outlet pipe. But how? A universal mystery it seems.

mumofmadboys Tue 30-Aug-16 10:18:21

When there were seven of us at home we used 14 socks a day and 98 socks a week. We have a huge bag of odd socks!!!

kittylester Tue 30-Aug-16 10:50:35

Oh flipping heck, don't remind me of those days. DH and DSs wore black and all 3 girls wore white socks during the summer. Sounds easy doesn't it until you hear 'These socks aren't a pair', 'But they are both black', 'I don't care, they don't feel like a pair!'

I wore pink socks so I was ok!!!!

ctussaud Tue 30-Aug-16 11:02:10

Get a mesh laundry washing bag (I always put my bras in one) and wash the (presumably paired!) socks in that.

goose1964 Tue 30-Aug-16 11:12:42

just wear odd socks both girls in our hose plus one mle so - the other is meticulous about putting pairs into the washing machine & hangs them up in pairs

moobox Tue 30-Aug-16 11:13:21

Well, no gransnetter would actually do that inefficient sort of his as you wouldn't painstakingly pick up the coloured socks if you were after a black one. The problem comes when you have only black hopsacks, and all the welts at the top are different. Not sure why I'm OCD about only wearing the matched ones, but for some reason I am

LullyDully Tue 30-Aug-16 11:34:02

Nice.job for.gch

inishowen Tue 30-Aug-16 11:37:11

If you've lost a sock, check inside your duvet cover. I've found several there when they come out of the washing machine.

geeljay Tue 30-Aug-16 11:48:48

A widowers Lament;
How is it, when the laundry's done , I sit in some despair
I now have , is it, Nineteen socks. But Not a single PAIR
I have grey sock,black sock, red sock and even got a blue,
Cut cannot find a match for one that makes a pair of two.

I also found a yellow one. A yellow one, no less,
I never bought a pair of socks, that startle when I dress!
I blame the youth sat nest to me, at the swimming baths, one day.
I think he 'pinched' my only pair, and quickly stole away.

He'll lose his street cred, thats certain, when he meets his friends,
When he takes his shoe off, and the toes poke out the ends.
He'll have a brown one and a blue one, both with holes, I think,
I reall meant to change them. Because they ppen and ink'.

An interestin' mystery, that I will give some thought. What happens to the missing sock from several pairs I bought?
I think I have the answer to this sill, endless game.
Next time, I'll purchase 20 socks. All THE BLINKIN SAME!

friends.
When he takes his shoes off, his toes poke out the ends

pollyperkins Tue 30-Aug-16 11:58:53

Ive been reading this thread out to OH as he thinks it's only me who loses socks. I said 'See, it happens to everyone!' His reply: 'Ah but you are the world champion!'

Elrel Tue 30-Aug-16 12:13:18

Oldest GD complained of her DM and younger DBs taking her socks. I bought her packs of girly pink ones, with hearts, DBs were not deterred! Then I gave her my bag of black unmatched socks and told her to put the odd socks in her sock drawer but hide her favourites elsewhere. It worked, they were all filched by her DBs, she could again wear a matching pair!
Another GD started wearing odd socks as a fashion statement which meant I could return to her my collection of single patterned socks found under beds and behind cupboards after her visits. An aunt even bought her a pack of 6 brightly patterned, deliberately unmatched, socks for Christmas.
I didn't worry as long as a 'pair' of my own socks were black and the same length. Then DD, at her house, asked me not to pair her family's socks as I wasn't marching them. Oh dear, I started looking closely at welts and have caught the bug ...

Granny23 Tue 30-Aug-16 12:35:31

While DGS's feet are the same size as mine (he's only 9yo so still growing) I have passed my bag of odd socks over to him. He is an avid 'odd socks' wearer and has started a fashion trend for this in his primary school. In a year or two I shall present him with DH's collection of odd socks.

BTW single socks make great small doll's clothes and hats for Teddies.

Neversaydie Tue 30-Aug-16 12:37:36

Lakeland do 'things 'that hold socks in pairs for the wash Has reduced the odd sock level in this house though not eliminated It entirely I think they are all having a tea party somewhere with the teaspoons ..

Elrel Tue 30-Aug-16 12:42:23

Granny23, like your GS's style!

Babyboomer Tue 30-Aug-16 12:50:37

I wonder who was sorting Jordan Dunbar's socks while he was working all this out?

Buddie Tue 30-Aug-16 14:31:05

Odd socks accumulate here, too. Odd that this should be posted today, however, as yesterday I was browsing craft ideas and came across a posting for 18 ways to use odd socks from making sock puppets with children to using them as handy dusters! Maybe time to get creative - but then you would never be able to find one when you needed it!

Alishka Tue 30-Aug-16 14:43:46

Last year I bought two packs of identical pink socks, 3 pairs to a pack. Sorted, I thought. Not! I'm now hard pressed to make ONE pair of exactly the same pinkconfused can't win, can I ....

Greyduster Tue 30-Aug-16 16:11:25

Wendy Cope. The Sorrow of Socks.

Some socks are loners –
They can’t live in pairs.
On washdays they’ve shown us
They want to be loners.
They puzzle their owners,
They hide in dark lairs.
Some socks are loners –
They won’t live in pairs.
?

Greyduster Tue 30-Aug-16 16:35:07

When DS was at boarding school, sorting the sock bin was a punishment dealt out by the matron for minor transgressions. DS was very good at it by the time he left! hmm.