Gransnet forums

Chat

Anybody else glad it's Autumn?

(186 Posts)
DaphneBroon Mon 19-Sep-16 11:19:54

Wore my white linen trousers for the last time this year yesterday. Somehow linens just don't feel right any more. I can stop pretending the weather might be nice enough for a barbecue or lunch out doors. I can stop getting fed up because I never really get a tan, largely because I now sit in the shade out of choice. My feet are not swelling up with a couple of hours of getting up. I can start making soups and stews again, no more salad with everything.
OK the darker evenings are a bore as the day is over so quickly, but on balance (as long as I don't think about the endless months of winter) I really like September!

Ana Mon 19-Sep-16 11:30:05

Same here, nearly time to dust off the long boots and dig out the warm jackets!

ninathenana Mon 19-Sep-16 11:43:03

shock I've just come in from having coffee on the patio where it is pleasantly warm.
I hate the thought of shoes as apposed to sandals/flip-flops and coats. There has to be snow on the ground before I resort to boots and scarf.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 19-Sep-16 11:46:39

I wore my (long) shorts to a Marks and Sparks food hall yesterday. Felt really daft. Everyone else got the leggings out.

Not too keen on Autumn tbh. Bit sad somehow. Could have done with another two or three garden sitting out weeks. Might put my coat on and take a blankie....

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 19-Sep-16 11:47:43

Bloomin' chilly here nina.

Nannylovesshopping Mon 19-Sep-16 11:55:10

No, I'm not glad at all, I've loved every minute of the wonderful summer, glorious sunshine, blissful days at my beach hut, coffee and dinners in the garden, walks across beaches and fields, fab hols in Devon, I could go and bore you all senseless, Autumn for me is yuk, dark nights, drying washing indoors, getting colder, the frantic lead up to Christmas, but I shall grin and bear it, happy days to you all who are Autumn birds, and roll on Spring grin

Greyduster Mon 19-Sep-16 12:02:09

I sorted through the ironing this morning and put to one side all the summer stuff. I wore a light sweater yesterday later on, and it is definitely sweater weather today. I normally welcome the cooler weather at the end of the summer as heralding better fishing. Hot weather is the kiss of death for trout fishing, but they will come up now and take flies off the top which is always very exciting (yes I know, I'm sad - it takes all sorts).

JackyB Mon 19-Sep-16 12:07:05

September is my favourite month. It only started yesterday though, weatherwise.

Anniebach Mon 19-Sep-16 12:07:14

Not me, just means winter is on the way and this means snow

Ana Mon 19-Sep-16 12:09:44

Not always, surely Annie? We didn't have any here last year (or the year before come to think of it). It's visible on the mountain tops sometimes though, so I expect that's bad enough, for you sad

Granny23 Mon 19-Sep-16 12:11:30

As a September baby, I am a fan of the Autumn. It heralds new starts, packing away the summer clothes in favour of jeans and jumpers, crisp mornings, glorious sunsets, brisk walks, harvesting fruit and veg, larder replete with jams, jellies and chutney. I find Spring the most disappointing season - one nice warm day when you think 'here comes summer' followed by weeks of rain, sleet, even snow. Whereas in Autumn each lovely day feels like a bonus.

kittylester Mon 19-Sep-16 12:12:51

I love it!

Irma Mon 19-Sep-16 12:17:28

I hate autumn/winter, so cold dark and gloomy, bare leafless trees, I feel like I'm living under a cloud until I see the fist buds coming on the trees. Truly hate it!

Bellanonna Mon 19-Sep-16 12:25:31

I'm a September baby too. So it's "my" month. Last day, in fact. I like the smell of burning leaves, the dew, the mists, and the lovely golden chestnut trees which always turn first. Wearing warmer clothes means means a change of wardrobe. No tights though. Never before my birthday and only if I rarely wear a skirt. I usually go without socks too unless I'm wearing boots. I try to ignore the forthcoming season beloved (why???) of so many people, and just enjoy the changes in nature going on. I light the open fire occasionally but only when it's really cold as I don't like dealing with the mess next day. So I'm happy with Autumn.

gillybob Mon 19-Sep-16 12:27:39

Our summers are pretty much as you described Spring Granny23 One nice warm day (when you think here comes summer) followed by a massive disappointment. I seem to have spent all summer telling the grandchildren that they can have the paddling pool out "when summer comes" and it never has.

Alima Mon 19-Sep-16 12:34:41

Noooooo! All the darkness looms as does bloomin' Christmas. Roll on Spring!

Anniebach Mon 19-Sep-16 12:36:26

Ana, the forecast only has to say snow in Scotland and I'm off , and I am in Wales . Then the tv covers New York hit by snow and sure as hell some idiot will say , we will get it next

grannyactivist Mon 19-Sep-16 12:47:58

I loved school and hated the long summer holidays. As a child I loved to read, but I wasn't allowed to during the summer when I was forced instead to 'go out and play'. Every year I looked forward to the autumn when the days would grow ever shorter and I could read to my heart's content. I used to walk miles, even in pea-souper fogs, to change my books at the library. Nowadays I still have the same excitement as summer draws to an end and I look forward to the changes in diet, clothes and habits. Autumn remains my favourite season by far. smile

Jayh Mon 19-Sep-16 12:51:34

I love sunny Autumn days like today with the air so fresh and clear. It takes my mind off the prospect of the long, dark evenings to come. Also, I no longer need to live in hope of any sort of decent Summer weather and the shorts can be packed away for good. Happy days.

M0nica Mon 19-Sep-16 13:04:31

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. In case you hadn't gathered, I love autumn. At the first sight of a brown leaf, the first day with the yellow autumnal sunlight, my heart sings.

The winter's firewood was delivered this morning and the lovely brown/grey heap sits on the drive waiting to be moved to the woodshed. The blackberries are nearly over (less happy about that, it has been a very short season, and I have lots of apples).

Must end here, I am just off to find a copy of Keat's Ode to Autumn, I always read and reread it this time of year.

Falconbird Mon 19-Sep-16 13:11:47

I love autumn. It's goodbye to swollen feet that I can't get into my comfiest shoes, insect bites, and most of my eczema. I find it easy to keep warm but very difficult to keep cool.

Went out this morning in linen trousers (and other clothes smile and felt quite chilly. So soon be back to the lovely jersey trousers and cosy jackets. Also the tickets arrived for this year's panto that my grandchildren love. Couldn't be much happier.

nanaK54 Mon 19-Sep-16 13:43:46

No, no and no☹

Jane10 Mon 19-Sep-16 13:47:39

Yes yes yes! Love it. Roll on the dark nights in front of the fire with something good on TV. Bliss.

Luckygirl Mon 19-Sep-16 13:48:16

You cannot beat a bright autumn day - blue sky, sun low in the sky, golden leaves - wonderful!

We are waiting to see what the wood behind our new bungalow looks like when the trees turn - and to enjoy the views of the Black Mountains when the leaves fall.

NanSue Mon 19-Sep-16 13:55:07

Noooo! Horrible, Love the summer.