Gransnet forums

Chat

A rose by any other name?

(50 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Sat 24-Sep-16 08:57:34

I was looking on Mumsnet this morning for a post my daughter was interested in and noticed how many people on their 'go anonymous' , something we can't do( unless I'm mistaken).

But it got me thinking about name changes ( for whatever reason) .Is it widespread here on GN?

Do people change names as their circumstances change? Or to hide? or????

Just curious smile

Teetime Sat 24-Sep-16 09:05:01

I changed once because I rather stupidly gave myself a name at the beginning that was almost my own and I was advised that it could identify me. I think the name I have now pretty well gives me away not that I mind but I think on the whole the advice was good re security.

NanaandGrampy Sat 24-Sep-16 09:12:36

Ah , now that I get totally ! Security these days is important . Its still a great name though smile

NonnaW Sat 24-Sep-16 09:15:29

I must admit to being fascinated by some of the user names on here. Being a boring sort of person I couldn't think of anything witty to come up with. Lots of great names used here though.

Greyduster Sat 24-Sep-16 09:32:25

I had a previous incarnation on here, and changed my name when I came back a couple of years later. This one suits me better anyway. I think hmm

Nelliemoser Sat 24-Sep-16 09:47:16

Well being anonymous does allow you to talk about things you might otherwise not to discuss in public.

How many of us don't tell relatives they are on gransnet?
I don't. I am not sure why, but obviously I have my username.

shysal Sat 24-Sep-16 09:50:23

Neither the Grey nor the Duster part of your name would suit me at all, I should be something more like MouseyMuckyhouse!smile

rosesarered Sat 24-Sep-16 09:54:38

I am still a rose by the same name, have never had a name change on here.We are still anonymous though aren't we unless we have told our friends/relatives our Gransnet names?Though I have been and still am, happy to meet other Gransnetters so not entirely anonymous, but that's fine.

Luckygirl Sat 24-Sep-16 09:57:42

There can be very sound reasons for changing your user name. I did it once a very long time ago.

The only problem is you get to "know" people's personalities and when they change name it can be confusing - sometimes it is useful to know who that person is and their history in order to try and avoid putting your foot in it.

Haven't heard from galen in an age - has she changed her name I wonder?

Im68Now Sat 24-Sep-16 10:03:35

My name says it all really, next year I'll become 69, how many other posters use names that mean something. One that sticks in my mind used the last letters of a chromosomes because he is now living as a she.

Ana Sat 24-Sep-16 10:06:47

galen posts mainly on Soop's Kitchen thread these days.

Luckygirl Sat 24-Sep-16 10:08:24

Thanks Ana - I have just discovered her in all her silver glory on another thread!

Galen Sat 24-Sep-16 10:17:52

I'm still around .. the tribunals have gone up and my broad band has been down for weeks.
I don't do politics or controversial threads. But I'm not fluffy kittens either

Wobblybits Sat 24-Sep-16 10:25:05

As most of you know my name has changed a few times, but I have never made a secret of who I was. I had to come up with a new name as in each case I had left (Flounced) GN and you cannot use your old name again. I would love to be Pompa again, if for no other reason that it is my name in RL.

seacliff Sat 24-Sep-16 10:33:46

Wobbly, can't you be Pompa Mk 2, Pompa2 or similar?

Nonnie Sat 24-Sep-16 10:41:05

Wobbly I didn't know who you were previously! Didn't know you couldn't return with the old name either. Seems there is a lot I don't know!

Possibly the main reason people change their names is because someone they know has discovered who they are and it has caused discomfort.

Greyduster Sat 24-Sep-16 10:55:45

I miss seeing pompa heading up your posts. Can't get used to your new persona.

Im68Now Sat 24-Sep-16 10:59:18

I've noticed a couple of posters with a male christian name and they say their female despite their "handle", whats that all about.

Alima Sat 24-Sep-16 11:06:48

When you have meet-ups and see fellow Gnetters do you use your name on here or your real names? Often wondered. (There is a meet-up fairly near me next month and I am thinking of going).

gillybob Sat 24-Sep-16 11:08:12

I have had the same name from day one (halo emoticon) . I find it difficult to remember who's who sometimes. I didn't realise that you were the old pompa wobblybits but now That I do know, I don't know how I didn't guess. hmm

Elegran Sat 24-Sep-16 11:15:45

Alima the ones I have met have used their real names, and not concealed anything. That said, they often get called by the names they are already known as on the forum. It can get confusing when there are five people there and ten names are flying around!

Elegran Sat 24-Sep-16 11:16:28

Or occasionally twenty people and forty names!

Maggiemaybe Sat 24-Sep-16 11:25:39

I'm Maggie in both worlds so wouldn't have/cause a problem grin

rubylady Sat 24-Sep-16 12:09:31

I'm not Ruby in RL, but I do think of changing my name in RL, the problem is, to what? smile

henetha Sat 24-Sep-16 12:41:49

I honestly thought you were female, Wobbybits.