Gransnet forums

Chat

Comedy

(43 Posts)
Kitspurr Mon 26-Sep-16 15:21:28

Has anyone listened to the latest "Mark Steel's in Town - Hebden Bridge", on R4? It's hilarious. I've never been to Hebden Bridge, but I could imagine myself in the audience, appreciating his humour, as he brings to life the character, (caricatures), of this town.

Having been through a very difficult time this year, I'm now finding myself listening to and watching comedy more and more, and it really helps to release the sadness that sometimes washes over me.

Is there a comedian, comedy show/film that gives you a lift?

rosesarered Mon 26-Sep-16 15:32:54

Not a comedy show at the moment Kitspurr but have watched It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World tons of times, and still laugh at it.grin

grannylyn65 Mon 26-Sep-16 15:41:02

There was a film with Lee Evans and a mouse ......!!!

Kitspurr Mon 26-Sep-16 15:47:05

I liked that film, too, grannlyn65

KatyK Mon 26-Sep-16 16:20:46

Not to everyone's taste but I love Mrs Browns Boys. My parents
were Irish and I find the accents rather comforting and also the sillinesssmile

Wobblybits Mon 26-Sep-16 16:27:47

WE love Mrs Browns boys. We normally hate swearing on TV, but that does not offend us.

Christinefrance Mon 26-Sep-16 16:34:41

Yes it's strange isn't it, I don't find Mrs Brown offensive either, I disliked the programme at first but now makes me laugh out loud. Think we may be in the minority though.
Dave Allan was a favourite and The Two Ronnie. I also think Angus Deayton was exiled rather unfairly, his commentaries were hilarious. Of course there is no one to beat the late great Tony Hancock.

Greyduster Mon 26-Sep-16 16:37:40

"Mouse Hunt" grannylyn. What a hoot, especially the bit where they were auctioning the house!

annsixty Mon 26-Sep-16 16:48:24

Another fan of Mrs Browns Boys here. I also don't find it offensive although perhaps I should. I don't think I have laughed so much since seeing The Bikini Wax episode. So rude and so funny.

hildajenniJ Mon 26-Sep-16 16:51:11

I could listen to Jeanne Robertson's stories all day long. I think she's hilarious. here's one of my favourites

Jane10 Mon 26-Sep-16 16:51:47

Aaaargh! No no no. Mrs Browns Boys leads to a stampede to switch off in our house. Really really can't stand it!
Just goes to show how subjective comedy is. Plenty of choice though. Luckily!

annodomini Mon 26-Sep-16 16:56:09

I fail to see the humour in Mrs Brown's Boys. It's all 'feck this' and 'feck that'. Funny? Why?

Pandi Mon 26-Sep-16 17:00:19

I've not listened to your programme Kitspurr but I find myself drawn to more comedy this year after sadness. In the early days something with the warning' contains violence/upsetting scenes' found me looking for something else to watch on TV.

lujaha Mon 26-Sep-16 17:12:57

Pete and Dud still make me laugh.

Rosieroe Mon 26-Sep-16 17:16:09

I listened to Mark Steel in Hebden Bridge the other day Kitspurr while working in the kitchen. It was hilarious and I was laughing out loud. He's been traveling all over the country apparently and does a show at whichever town he's in. The amount of research he must put in must be formidable and then to make it all so humorous. The man's a comic genius. I fully intend catching up with his travels through the radio 4 podcasts.

rubylady Mon 26-Sep-16 17:37:03

Hebden Bridge is a beautiful place, been on a barge lunch a few times there. smile

Kitspurr Mon 26-Sep-16 18:13:50

hildajenniJ, I stumbled across Jeanne Robertson a while back and thought she was brilliant. I'll have to watch her again.

Rosieroe, you're right, he does a lot of research. He'll be in Kingston upon Thames next week.

phoenix Mon 26-Sep-16 19:07:00

There is a lot of good funny stuff on Radio 4, Mark Steel is pretty good, funny, but not cruel.

Many people don't realise that quite a bit of TV comedy programmes actually started on Radio, especially Radio 4

Kitspurr Mon 26-Sep-16 20:24:12

R4's great for comedy and drama. I'm really enjoying Deborah Frances-White Rolls The Dice and Book at Bedtime.

I'm easy to please.

Rosieroe Mon 26-Sep-16 21:44:25

I'm on episode 2 of The Crowded Street by Winifred Holtby. It's read by Claire Goose and I'm really enjoying it. I'll have to look up Rolls the Dice once I'm finished. My problem is that I listen in bed and tend to drop off and have to keep rewinding.

Rosieroe Mon 26-Sep-16 21:46:31

Oh - regarding comedy. Is everybody enjoying Cold Feet? I think it's excellent.

Bellanonna Mon 26-Sep-16 22:12:07

Yes to Cold Feet. Just finished watching latest episode. Another for Mrs Brown. Hated it to start with but now I "get" it and laugh out loud. Like Would I LIe to You. Lee. Mack's exchanges with David Mitchell are really funny.

LullyDully Tue 27-Sep-16 08:38:41

We saw the Aeroplane film again with Leslie Neilson. It was so silly and so funny,.made us laugh out loud. Daft as a brush!!

Jane10 Tue 27-Sep-16 09:22:56

Mel Books films are funny. Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein spring to mind.
I enjoy QI, Mock the Week, HIGNFY etc.

Luckygirl Tue 27-Sep-16 09:28:33

HIGNFY is splendid - Le Mack is so quick with his of-the-cuff humour.