Gransnet forums

Chat

Does your car have a name?

(58 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Mon 26-Sep-16 17:32:18

And if so , what is it and how did it get that name ?

We have always named our cars, from Red Sonia an ancient red Vauxhall in the 90's, Bodie from The Professionals for our Ford Capri from the 70's , and Big Bertha our enormous estate car from the 80's.

I now drive a Vauxhall Zafira called PoliceNanas car and received personalised number plates and a blue light from my grandchildren for a recent birthday !!

We'll be swapping cars in a few weeks so can't wait to see what that one gets calledvsmile

Ana Mon 26-Sep-16 17:34:08

No, or if it has it hasn't told me! grin

chelseababy Mon 26-Sep-16 17:35:38

Yes name based round the registration plate. Current car is Kev. ( Reg starts KV.....)

tanith Mon 26-Sep-16 17:49:49

This one is called Numpty also based around the number plate.

ninathenana Mon 26-Sep-16 17:53:19

My first car was called 'woody' taken from the reg plate WDY . I haven't been able to make anything out of subsequent reg plates until the current one which is called 'yusuf'

Cherrytree59 Mon 26-Sep-16 18:02:19

This car we call Dusty. We haven't named any others apart from when the children were small and we had a volvo that we called Sherman.

Wobblybits Mon 26-Sep-16 18:10:49

BlueBell, guess who thought that one up. Never had a blue car before, this one is very bright blue.

Kitspurr Mon 26-Sep-16 18:31:45

I've never named my cars, but the previous owners of 2 cars I had named them. A red Ford fiesta was called Betsy and a red Renault 5 GTX was called Ruby. Wish I still had the Renault 5.

Alima Mon 26-Sep-16 18:39:22

Not lately. Our last named car was Gordon as in Gordon Bennett. Explains itself really.

Charleygirl Mon 26-Sep-16 20:28:53

I have never named any car I have owned.

FarNorth Mon 26-Sep-16 20:33:17

My mother's first car was named Nero (reg NRO) but no other named cars since then.

rosesarered Mon 26-Sep-16 21:27:44

No, naming cars seems a step too far ( in the wrong direction) grin

obieone Mon 26-Sep-16 22:05:35

I was going to say no, never. But thinking about it, the current one, and one other, did have a name because of the number plate. hmm.
The current registration plate happens to be related to where I live, so people do call the car by that name.

Auntieflo Mon 26-Sep-16 22:10:33

Ours is Mitsi, as she is a Mitsubishi. Once had a great lump of a Maxi, number plate NSX, so she was No Sex.

Deedaa Mon 26-Sep-16 22:14:26

I don't usually name them but my little Citroen has GF in the registration number so she's become Girl Friend.

gulligranny Mon 26-Sep-16 22:19:35

Yes, always. I didn't start driving until I was 35; my first car was Miss Ellie (plain but reliable) and at present I have Poppy (bright red, of course). In between - and I usually keep my cars for several years - I've had Clovis, Guinevere, Iris, Alfie & Babe.

hildajenniJ Mon 26-Sep-16 23:03:59

I once owned a car with the registration letters HZB. I called it Hezbollah. It was dark green, and an awful thing to drive, most unreliable. It's the only car I've ever named.
I call my vacuum cleaner at work Geraldo! It's a big green cleaning machine and seems to suit it.

cornergran Mon 26-Sep-16 23:23:15

Named my second car Ollie, Just because I thought it suited him - he looked a bit owl like. Definitely a male car. The first car didn't survive long enough to get a name!

Shanma Mon 26-Sep-16 23:57:07

I have an old french car and my DH calls it my ohh la la car

phoenix Tue 27-Sep-16 00:02:57

Iris, because of the colour, a dark purply blue!

ninathenana Tue 27-Sep-16 00:13:15

Auntieflo the 'woody' as mentioned above was a Maxi smile it was a delightful yucky mustard colour.

Synonymous Tue 27-Sep-16 01:36:07

Rarely have names for our cars unless they have a 'personality' but we do tend to use the number plate to invent a phrase for a mnemonic so that it is easy to remember the registration details. DH usually leaves it to me as he is no good at inventing one always able to remember it anyway except when he forgets. grin

Skweek1 Tue 27-Sep-16 09:22:35

When I was a kid we had motor scooters - the first 2 were NSU Primas, Millicent and Phoebe (no idea - don't ask!), then my dad decided to go for a huge German Heinkel brute, which I immediately named Hank. When scootering days were past, they bought a Reliant Robin, which my mum (reluctantly - she was not suited to main roads) drove. The first time I saw her trying to leapfrog down the road, we immediately christened the new family member Kanga. DH and I never gave names to our cars (apart from our Ford Anglia, none had any great personality).

Skweek1 Tue 27-Sep-16 09:24:14

I like Ana's reply to this - I feel that unless it has a personality we tend not to give more or less inanimate objects names.

Bellanonna Tue 27-Sep-16 09:31:25

Only the satnav. Janet.