Gransnet forums

Chat

cars and driving

(72 Posts)
PRINTMISS Tue 27-Sep-16 08:42:40

I am always surprised about some peoples passion for cars, and although I have no idea why I was thinking about this this morning, and thought I might start a thread. For me a car is a means of transporting me and the passengers from A - B. I have given up driving because I never enjoyed it, and felt I was becoming a danger on the road. My daughter surprised me the other day by saying she would love an Audi (I think), and it occurred to me that I would never ever 'love' a certain car. For me, if it is fully road-worthy, taxed, insured then it is as I said a means to an end, and I would never just take myself for a spin - do any of you have a favourite car, and absolutely love driving?

ginny Tue 27-Sep-16 08:51:33

I'm the same. A car to me is a tin box with an engine and wheels that gives me independence to go where I want, when I want. Not no
There

tanith Tue 27-Sep-16 08:52:23

My favourite car at the moment is my Qashqai I just love it bits but I have recently taking a liking to those dinky little Fiat 500 especially in baby blue grin
I was a professional driver for 20yrs so I guess I must love it. I used to take myself off for a drive just because I could but while I'm waiting for my THR I have cut back a lot as changing gear is painful for me.
Every one will have a different take on this I'm sure.

Alima Tue 27-Sep-16 08:54:33

A to B is good. It's the colour that is my deciding factor. Currently hankering after a Peugeot 107 just to use locally, shopping and transporting DGS.

ginny Tue 27-Sep-16 08:54:56

Whoops, fumble fingers tha morning.
Not bothered about what make or model. As long as it is reliable ,economical and reasonably comfortable.

Wobblybits Tue 27-Sep-16 09:09:50

Having bought a new car only last week, I guess I must like cars and driving. I have to have a car that I can rely on as we do a lot of long distance driving, more than we ever did when working. I get to choose the model, Mrs P gets to choose the colour and it's name hmm
I feel lost when I can't drive, as will be the case if I have my hip replaced.

Luckygirl Tue 27-Sep-16 09:23:05

Cars - get you from A to B. End of.

I have a brother who is a total petrol head and rings me and regales me with every detail of his cars, right down to the ideal tyre pressure. I put the phone on loudspeaker and just potter about the house getting on with my life until he rings off - I make little mm..hmm noises now and again as courtesy demands.

Having worked for a brain injury service for many years I have seen the worst that cars can do and have a deep aversion to them being treated frivolously, as a penis extension or a status symbol.

hildajenniJ Tue 27-Sep-16 09:25:38

I've got a Vauxhall Mokka. I love it. It's such fun to drive. The first time I visited my sister when driving it my BinL said " that's a big car for a little woman". It looks chunky from the outside, and it's high off the ground. Just what I need with my arthritic hips.

Wobblybits Tue 27-Sep-16 09:30:51

They do need to get you from A > B, but they need to do that reliably and if you do many miles comfortably. Many of the bells and whistles on modern cars aid the driver to arrive fresher than older cars. Today's road/traffic can be stressful enough, I'm for anything that makes it easier.

annodomini Tue 27-Sep-16 09:31:58

My Toyota Yaris is battle scarred but still reliable. I don't use it for long distances any more because I get too tired and 'let the train take the strain' nowadays. What I save on fuel goes on first class seats.When/if I change it, I will look for something even smaller - maybe a Fiat 500 or a Toyota IQ.

NanaandGrampy Tue 27-Sep-16 09:41:03

I drove in the course of my work for many years , sometimes up to 1000 miles a week so had very specific requirements for my car . The most important being a coffee cup holder !!

Having just ordered my new car I took with me the most knowledgeable petrol head I know - my 4 year old Grandson !! He made sure I chose the right colour , had the right wheels and got the right spec !! Grampy checked out safety and economy and I signed the papers smile

These days my main requirement is driving position , that it has to be an automatic and I can fit my scooter and at least 2 adults and 2 grandchildren in !

Maranta Tue 27-Sep-16 09:41:50

I've just gone over to an automatic. I can just rest my left leg (hip problems) and where appropriate, I can put it on cruise control and rest/ease my right leg (sciatica) - great. And it's a very reliable German make.

kittylester Tue 27-Sep-16 09:46:59

dh has an IQ anno and loves it.

I have always driven the bigger family car as I have done the ferrying, shopping etc. My current car is a Honda CRV in a bluey purple colour but my favourite large car was my Peugeot 505 with three rows of seats. I cried when that eventually died with 150,000 miles on the clock. Apart from that, my favourite car would have been my Citroën Diane.

As DH's cars are not really for practical purposes grin he has had some shockers - MGBGT, MGB, Triumph Spitfire, old and new convertible Beetles and the like so it's important that my cars are reliable so I can go and collect him when his break down. grin

I love driving!!

gettingonabit Tue 27-Sep-16 09:49:17

I've always loved cars, and driving. I've had sporty coupes in the main-a Calibra, a turbo charged Nissan, a pink jeep.

Since dd I've been more boring, going in for four-door, big cars.

I've currently got a baby-blue Fiat 500. It's ok, easy to park, very cheap to run. It's not my dream car though, and is not great over long distances.

I'm hoping to rediscover my passion for driving, but I don't drool over cars like I used to.

I've always wanted a roadster; perhaps a Spyder pr a Merc. I quite like the Audi TT too. in my dreams.

TriciaF Tue 27-Sep-16 09:50:45

PRINTMISS - I'm surprised to hear you've given updriving, I think you're only a couple of years older than me, and I dread having to give up. I came close to it when I had an accident in March.
We live out in the country and there's no public transport so we need to drive often. Luckily the roads are very quiet, apart from agricultural vehicles.
I'm driving an old van at the moment, we have a car as well but it's too big for me, Peugeot 308, impossible to park.

Thingmajig Tue 27-Sep-16 09:52:03

Our criteria when buying a new (to us) car a few months ago was having more space inside the car itself and in the boot. The wee Nissan Note was a bit of a squash! Now we have a Ford C-Max with loads of room for 2 in the back plus DGD's car seat. And it's lovely red! smile
Coming out the garage after buying the Ford I spotted the most gorgeous wee car in the forecourt ... no idea what make but it was a beautiful shade of lilac and I soooo wanted it! Sadly we really can't justify running 2 cars.

SIL is a real petrol head but our eyes just glaze over when he starts!

TriciaF Tue 27-Sep-16 10:10:15

After reading this thread I went onto the next one, Cold Feet.
Looked it up on youtube and hit on Rachel's Accident, what a shock shock Take care, you drivers.

Wobblybits Tue 27-Sep-16 10:26:40

Sounds like several of us have the same thoughts. automatic everything, gearbox lights, wipers, cruise control, speed limiter, parking assist, tyre pressures, comfortable seat that supports my back, etc, etc, all the controls I need on the steering wheel, no need to take my eyes off the road ahead.

Our last car was only 6 years old, but it broke down 3 times on the road, this year, despite regular servicing, did not trust it any longer, had to go.

harrigran Tue 27-Sep-16 10:32:23

Cars were just a means of getting from A to B until we discovered the Mercedes GL, this is the most comfortable car I have been in and I feel safe. The GC love it as they get to sit in the third row when there are five adults in the car.

PRINTMISS Tue 27-Sep-16 10:50:52

Tricia I gave up driving 14 years ago! Yep, I had had enough. For several years I had a car in the garage, an automatic that I could use whenever I wanted to - I preferred to travel by bus to my job, it meant a 20 minute walk, when I could meet people, and admire front gardens, when I changed that job, I travelled by train and have always enjoyed the railway. Yes, it would be lovely to jump into a car and do the odd thing, and it is even more difficult now that the other half is not temporarily driving, but we live within striking distance of 2 supermarkets, 2 d.i.y. stores, 3 food takeaways, 2 car maintenance shops and other bits and pieces - we actually LIVE on a very quiet park home estate.
The fact that my car was an automatic, and when we could no longer afford 2 cars, we exchanged the 2 for one better car - a manual, which I found hard to come to terms with. Always hated driving! Sorry, prattling on a bit there.

Greyduster Tue 27-Sep-16 12:20:54

I am another who has almost given up driving. Like others, I drove for my work (bigger cars than we have now) and was happy to drive every car we had, but since we retired, DH has started a love affair with a car I simply can't get on with. He bought a Honda Civic in place of the Jazz we had driven since we retired. I loved the Jazz from the minute I first sat in it - it was an extension of me. DH liked it but wanted something with a bit more elbow room. I hated the Civic, and never felt comfortable driving it. To add insult to injury, eighteen months ago, he changed it for another one. At that point, I said he would have to drive us, because I wouldn't. The furthest I go is down to the village if I have to go to the doctors or, if I absolutely have to, I will do the twenty minute drive to my daughter's. Last time I went I came back and said "if I ever hit anything in this car, I will die." Because I am small, just five feet, I have to make a lot of adjustments to the driving position and in order to reach the pedals it puts me too close to the steering wheel. I have visions of the airbag deploying and either suffocating me or crushing my rib cage! It is a lovely car; comfortable, quiet, plenty of power and very responsive. And, of course, he loves it to bits, so it won't be going any time soon!

M0nica Tue 27-Sep-16 12:41:07

I seem to fall between two stools. For me a car is just transport between two places that cannot be accessed any other way BUT, given I need a car I do like it to be jolly, querky and a cheerful colour.

Most of my cars have been old and I run them until they have to be scrapped. Currently I have a bright blue Yaris. It is 13 years old and I have owned it for 9 years and will own it until it dies (not me).

We have a family liking for SAABS, my first two cars were elderly 2 stroke SAABs and it was wonderful, in a more chauvinistic age to see the consternation on other (male) drivers faces when they saw a woman pouring oil into the petrol tank of her car, before topping up with petrol'

tanith Tue 27-Sep-16 12:44:28

Greyduster one of the reasons I have my own car is because OH like his low slung Astra of course we really don't need two cars but while we can afford it I'm keeping mine wink it also has a reversing camera which is invaluable to me as I find it difficult to turn my head for reversing although a quick glance over my shoulder is ok. smile

tanith Tue 27-Sep-16 12:47:10

Meant to add that I can't get into his low slung Astra with my dodgy hips grin

kittylester Tue 27-Sep-16 12:50:54

Mine has a camera and I'm lost driving DH'S which doesn't!