Gransnet forums

Chat

How much.....?

(21 Posts)
Katek Tue 27-Sep-16 14:59:48

I'm in shock-just booked 4 tickets for professional panto, take the two oldest dgc every year, and it's cost £122.!! No concessions whatsoever. It had better be good!

MiniMouse Tue 27-Sep-16 15:07:46

This may make you feel better - we recently booked two tickets for a music gig and were charged £75 for booking/admin fee shock angry It's a one-off, chance of a lifetime, so we bit the bullet, but .....

ninathenana Tue 27-Sep-16 15:19:12

£75 wow !!
I use Ticketmaster for big event booking. I've never paid anything like that in admin.
Sadly I'm not as surprised by the price of the panto tickets. Where is the performance and who are the stars KateK just out of interest.

Katek Tue 27-Sep-16 15:53:19

It's Aberdeen with Elaine C Smith (Mary Doll from Rab C Nesbitt) She's there every year in a different frock, all a bit same-y. Can be quite funny and the special effects are superb but wouldn't mind a change. We have no choice though and the gc love it. I know we paid over £200 in total earlier this year for Springsteen, but that was a once in a lifetime opportunity. DH also looked at taking his father to the Barcelona game in Glasgow later next month...:,,over £200 per ticket! It's not happening....Grampa will have to get something else for his birthday.

Charleygirl Tue 27-Sep-16 16:00:46

I promise that the GN panto tickets will not cost so much money and we will not be charging a booking fee.

KatyK Tue 27-Sep-16 16:04:01

We've booked 4 tickets for Billy Elliot at the Birmingham Hippodrome - £253.

Katek Tue 27-Sep-16 16:28:51

Will there be concessions charleygirl for those of us with a bus pass?

Riverwalk Tue 27-Sep-16 16:34:43

I've booked three tickets to take the GC to Aladdin at The Prince Edward Theatre, London just after Christmas, total cost £178, no concessions.

They were the cheapest seats with a decent view and we are in the gods, upper circle.

For musicals and the like you don't need to be in the royal circle, my first choice, but I do like central seats and not out on the periphery. I took GD to see 'Matilda' and again we were in the cheap seats, about £60 each, but I'd chosen carefully and it was great.

I always go on the Theatre Monkey website which gives information on seats in any London theatre e.g. the front row in an expensive royal circle might not be a good idea as there is a safety rail obscuring the view and you have to lean forward.

Seats

NanaandGrampy Tue 27-Sep-16 17:01:54

We're going to a good local theatre to see Sleeping Beauty, in the disabled 'slips' , which has individual movable seats and a great view . Total cost £42 for 2 . That's my limit smile

annsixty Tue 27-Sep-16 17:34:22

My GD and her friend took both Of us GM's to Stockport Plaza last year, total cost £60.
You did have to be fond of children though, it was 3/4 full of school parties who loved it all but could be quite noisy.

Charleygirl Tue 27-Sep-16 17:38:13

Katek I had not thought about that- the one problem is that the vast majority will have bus passes so we will lose money but again, one must be seen to be reasonable especially around panto season so I think that the answer will be yes.

fiorentina51 Tue 27-Sep-16 17:43:49

I will be "enduring" the local village hall panto this year. It is not a polished professional production but the cast are enthusiastic and it can be very enjoyable. At £8 a ticket (and no booking fee) I'm willing to give it a go!

Cherrytree59 Tue 27-Sep-16 18:33:49

I am waiting to book my seats at the world renowned panto
With the stars we all know and love.
I'm just hoping that there is a nice balcony seat availblefor the ...

GN Panto

grin

Wobblybits Tue 27-Sep-16 18:44:40

We will need lots of enthusiastic audience participation.

gillybob Tue 27-Sep-16 18:48:07

£325 for my DH and I to take our three to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at the theatre. It is their favourite film so this was a very special treat. But one I could not repeat very often. Again no concessions.

Charleygirl Tue 27-Sep-16 19:08:25

OMG gillybob to pay that money I would expect that to be the entertainment included after a B/B and evening meal. I am showing my Scottish upbringing- that really is horrendous. I doubt if you will have much change out of £400 by the time you add petrol, ice cream etc.

Maggiemaybe Wed 28-Sep-16 07:13:45

Well, Charleygirl, I am appalled and am now going to organise a WASPI rally outside the GN panto on opening night (once I find out where it's taking place grin).

As if it isn't bad enough that us 50s women are being robbed of losing out on up to 6 years of our state pension and our bus passes are being withheld, we're now being discriminated against by our own sisters (and the odd brother) at the GN panto shock

f77ms Wed 28-Sep-16 07:39:21

I had no idea that these things were so costly ! It certainly puts it out of reach of most ordinary families , I just wouldn`t go to anything so ludicrously expensive on principal .

I am sure there are many, just as good, local productions which need supporting ! Is it just me or does anyone else find it ridiculous to spend that amount of money on a few hours entertainment ?

ninathenana Wed 28-Sep-16 09:15:31

I've just looked at The Marlowe Canterbury which is our nearest regional theatre. Dick Whittington staring someone I think is a CBB presenter is £70 for a family ticket which must include one child. Best individual seat is £35 with no concessions so it's comparable to the op.

Charleygirl Wed 28-Sep-16 10:35:25

Maggiemaybe if you are 60 years or over, I agree you should be retired if you want to be so the concession will also include you lot.

Maggiemaybe Wed 28-Sep-16 12:30:25

In that case, Charleygirl, I'll call off the activists. Shame, really, I was looking forward to donning the purple sash again, even if it did slip off my shoulders at the national demo, tangle round my ankles and trip me up outside the Houses of Parliament. Rather undignified, but at least it wasn't my knickers.