Gransnet forums

Chat

They don't make 'em like they used to!

(65 Posts)
BabsAnn Wed 19-Oct-16 12:12:42

My hairdryer is 21 years and going strong! What's the oldest appliance in your home?

tanith Wed 19-Oct-16 14:46:14

I have a freezer in the garage that's at least 25yrs old.

Ana Wed 19-Oct-16 15:00:45

My tumble dryer's 36 years old, although it has had a new element.

vampirequeen Wed 19-Oct-16 17:45:52

The toilet roll fairy...if you can class her as an appliance. She performs a repetitive task as often as required with no fuss.

ninathenana Wed 19-Oct-16 18:38:57

Ana I thought my tumbler was doing well but mine's only half the age of yours.

Ana Wed 19-Oct-16 18:42:42

Well, nina, as the title of the thread says...grin

I bet one bought in the last 10-20 years wouldn't still be going.

f77ms Wed 19-Oct-16 18:47:38

Cooker is 30 years old and falling to bits but only in the last year . I have to use Tape because the door wont stay shut ! Getting a new kitchen in a few months so am holding out . Anybody got any web sites they can recommend for kitchen makeovers (new everything, including floor) on a budget . I want a completely new look from my 70`s kitchen ,my oak unit doors which have been painted are still in perfect condition but SO dated . It has to last for the rest of my life ! so don`t want to make any mistakes .

Alima Wed 19-Oct-16 18:48:51

Our old shed freezer is the same age as DD2. 36. Bought from Bejam which I think became Iceland. (A newer one wouldn't be any good as they don't work in very low temperatures. One of the crazy regulations that made me vote Leave).

Wobblybits Wed 19-Oct-16 19:37:40

The banning of CFC's in refrigeration was not such a bad thing considering the damage it was doing to the environment. It was an International treaty that banned them, (The Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer) not the EU.

Some of the newer freezers can operate down to -15c and have safe refrigerants.

JackyB Wed 19-Oct-16 20:52:50

We got our present dryer to dry the youngest's nappies (born in Nov 1988). So that makes it nearly 28 years old.

When it overheats it switches itself off and buzzes infuriatingly. It's been doing that more often lately, but it still dries. I've been wanting it to pack up for ages because it only has one temperature, and I would love to have the cooler setting so I can use it for more than just towels and knickers.

SueDonim Wed 19-Oct-16 20:58:47

Dh's Bang & Olufson music system is over 25 years old and still in perfect condition. Dd2's teenage male friends are always sooooo impressed by it! grin

I think my kettle is pretty old, in kettle years. I bought it the year my dad died which was 1998. I'd like a new one but this one just keeps going on and on!

fiorentina51 Wed 19-Oct-16 21:05:01

A Morphy Richards food mixer we were given as a wedding gift 43 years ago. Still works perfectly.

aggie Wed 19-Oct-16 21:30:44

My Kenwood Mixer is 50 yrs old and still gets hauled out for Christmas cakes , I have a very small kitchen at the moment but hope to have more space by this time next year

cornergran Wed 19-Oct-16 21:48:14

Hand mixer bought for us as an engagement present. 49 years ago. Gets used a couple of times a week.

rosesarered Wed 19-Oct-16 22:01:42

Blimey! We have no old appliances at all.Just been looking to replace the tumble dryer and have had it for five years.Cooker about eight years, washing machine four years.
Dishwasher 6 years.Built in fridge/freezer also eight years.I replace the iron about every five years.

rosesarered Wed 19-Oct-16 22:03:45

Oh, just read all the other posts.......forgot about the electric mixer, a wedding gift 46 years ago , yes, still working well!

tiggypiro Wed 19-Oct-16 22:43:39

Another Kenwood mixer which is 45 years old. My Halogen hob is 42 (kept it even when I got a new kitchen), hairdrier is 25 and boiler 24. Washing machine, freezer, dish washer, oven and fridge are all over 15 yrs old. None of them have required major surgery which now I've mentioned it will probably mean I am in for some bills.

In contrast I am on my 3rd computer in 10 years.

grannyqueenie Wed 19-Oct-16 23:51:22

A Philips electric carving knife, given to me as a present when our son was a toddler...he'll be 44 in a few months! My almost 40 year old Kenwood Chef ground to a halt earlier this year, I was so sad to see it go but replaced it asap with an almost identical model, bet it won't last as long!

Wobblybits Thu 20-Oct-16 08:18:27

Our Kenwood Chef is now 50 years old and used regularly. I have one in the loft that I bought at a boot sale which I keep for spares should I need them.

Humbertbear Thu 20-Oct-16 09:07:56

I have never had a washing machine as reliable or as long lasting as my Hoover Keymatic. There are some things that technology hasn't improved.

greatgranny Thu 20-Oct-16 09:25:01

Looks like Kenwood made em to last!

nannypiano Thu 20-Oct-16 09:50:48

It's so lovely to hear us oldies keeping things until they are no longer repairable and not changing them because they no longer match newer items recently purchased. Long may we reign, I love it!!

inishowen Thu 20-Oct-16 09:56:32

I have a coffee bean grinder that we got when we married in 1973. It grinds nuts, and makes breadcrumbs too. Nowadays it wouldn't pass safety laws as there is no guard and you could potentially lose your fingers!

pennyh47 Thu 20-Oct-16 10:12:54

I have a dyson vacuum that must be about 30 years old and still working. I have changed to a Gtech air ram because it was getting too heavy and cumbersome. Love my Gtech

ggmarion Thu 20-Oct-16 10:32:02

I have a broom that I have had for 20 years. It's only had 3 new heads and 2 new shanks!wink