Gransnet forums

Chat

Beware of rice cakes.......!

(38 Posts)
Katek Tue 25-Oct-16 13:30:42

Innocuous they might seem, but I bit down on a kernel on Saturday and searing pain shot up one of my front teeth and it went a bit wobbly! To date it's involved 60 mile round trip to dentist, a bill for an X-ray plus her time, and I have another check on it this Thursday. No sign of a root fracture as far as they can see, and dentist is hopeful it's soft tissue damage which will firm up again. I'm soooo happy-not.

SueDonim Tue 25-Oct-16 14:19:54

Yikes! That's always a danger with popcorn, too. flowers

Charleygirl Tue 25-Oct-16 15:35:55

I had a snack in an upmarket supermarket today and had a mozarella, cheese and pesto foccacia (sp) as a snack. The knife had problems, never mind my teeth so I left half of it before I incurred a large dental bill in the very near future.

wot Tue 25-Oct-16 20:43:33

And pork crackling is dangerous!

suzied Wed 26-Oct-16 06:58:16

My dentist friend says muesli is a big money spinner for her- pays for her holidays!

kittylester Wed 26-Oct-16 07:23:36

I broke a tooth on a scone!!

Falconbird Wed 26-Oct-16 08:08:42

I broke a tooth on a piece of lettuce!!! I think there may have been a small piece of grit in it.

Beware dried bananas. A friend broke her tooth biting into one.

So many foods are dangerous as we get older and have a mouthful of fillings. I've got more fillings than teeth. sad

M0nica Wed 26-Oct-16 09:30:46

DH managed to damage a tooth(lost a filling) on a jelly baby.

Gaggi3 Wed 26-Oct-16 11:27:32

Years ago I lost a filling on a Malteser.

Tegan Wed 26-Oct-16 11:30:39

Dental floss took one of my fillings out recently. And my dentist, after I'd slightly dislocated my jaw, said chewing gum [I was trying to stop smoking at the time] was really bad for you teeth/jaw. Can't win. Now take an emergency repair kit with me when I go away #thejoysofoldage

Annegranny2 Wed 26-Oct-16 11:35:48

Can I join in? All about the same ...it started with an olive and then it just snowballed. Emergency repair kit sounds a great Christmas tree present!

Bristololdtrout Wed 26-Oct-16 11:38:34

Have hope Katek. I tripped and fell flat on my face, chipped one front tooth and made one of the big ones feel wobbly. Three years on it still doesn't feel that secure (no biting into apples for me!) but it's still there and my dentist x-rays it now and then and thinks it's OK. I hope you will be lucky too.

MinniesMum Wed 26-Oct-16 11:42:34

Almonds can be a killer too! I am about to have a crown fitted due to forgetting to nibble the almond with my (fairly strong) front teeth before chowing down. I only buy packets of single nuts now, pecans, walnuts and brazils which I can just about manage if they are smashed up with a rolling pin.

NonnaAnnie Wed 26-Oct-16 11:43:56

I persuaded a colleague to try an olive, he had never tried one. Reluctantly he popped it into his mouth and bit. Yes, it had a stone in, it cost him root canal treatment and a crown, on top of the pain and suffering. He had no idea that olives had stones in them. I felt awful!

Katek Wed 26-Oct-16 11:52:31

I'm not wincing when drinking tea and managed a salted caramel ice cream last night! (Mind you, I would walk on hot coals for that regardless!) Tooth feels bit more solid but I don't want to go poking around in case I disturb anything. Verdict tomorrow at 10.20 after another 30 mile drive!

hopeful1 Wed 26-Oct-16 12:05:24

broke 3 teeth on a crisp!

floorflock Wed 26-Oct-16 12:20:57

Took a trip to London to do the EYE & Boat thing. Had a mint whilst in the queue - you guessed it. Cracked tooth. Didn't enjoy the day too much and had to visit the dentist as soon as we got off the train back home.
I think the moral of the story is the older you get the softer the foods you need to eat regardless of dentures or not.

JackyB Wed 26-Oct-16 12:49:00

All these stories have made me wince, too.

I have a fear of a grain of sand on salads - especially lamb's lettuce, which I remove from the roots so I only have individual leaves (rather time-consuming, but my teeth are worth it) and wash them twice.

Within a couple of months I cracked a tooth on such a grain of sand in salad and another one on sand in seafood.

Falconbird Wed 26-Oct-16 13:35:44

What is an Emergency Repair Kit? I want one.

Katek Wed 26-Oct-16 13:38:08

Think it's a syringe type thing with filling material in it. I've seen something like that in the chemist.

loopylou Wed 26-Oct-16 13:52:08

My dentist says never bite into an apple, it's the worse thing you can do because it loosens your front teeth especially if it's a crunchy apple.
I broke one molar munching on blasted popcorn, very painful, so much more cautious now I have mainly dentures ?

Olive bread can be dangerous as can nut chocolate......especially almonds.

silverlining48 Wed 26-Oct-16 14:31:23

I have broken teeth on a potato and another time on a soft bread roll and both cost me plenty at the dentist ending up in requiring a first crown. . The shock of finding a hard lump in the mouth and it turning out to be a bit of tooth....terrible. Am very careful these days.

Madmartha Wed 26-Oct-16 14:53:03

I broke both front teeth on a buttered crumpet and had 2 crowns for many years. They looked good too until crunching an apple snapped one off completely. Now have them on a bridge and they look good too, but I'm petrified at the thought of having to take it out if I'm ever in hospital - looks so bad without that I could frighten the kids when they trick and treat at Halloween. Vaguely thinking about implants instead, and I now slice apples into eight with one of those handy little IKEA apple slicers smile

Barmyoldbat Wed 26-Oct-16 14:57:45

Baguettes, my dentist has warned me that they are the worse thing to bite for anyone with a crown. Its something to do with biting on a hard surface , your teeth crash through the bread and its just air and dough so your teeth crash together and he has been proved right! Just thought I would let you know.

Barmyoldbat Wed 26-Oct-16 15:00:44

Talking about dentist, mine is lovely, gave me a cuddle after the last lot of treatment and told me how brave I was. Didnt give me a sticker though like he gives the children.