Gransnet forums

Chat

How Much????

(59 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 26-Oct-16 12:45:02

Needed a new watch battery so popped into one of those kiosks that do them in Tesco's car park.

£8.99 shock

Definitely more than the watch cost in the first place.

I can't remember when I last had one fitted but I'm sure it was under a fiver.

Should I be blaming Brexit? grin

NonnaW Wed 26-Oct-16 12:48:34

No just normal inflation. Poor old Brexit getting the blame again! smile

JackyB Wed 26-Oct-16 12:54:16

Many things are cheaper to replace than have spare parts fitted. The classic one is the coffee machine - the basic filter kind. Replacing the glass jug is usually dearer than buying a new machine.

As for the watch problem: You can get the batteries cheap in pound shops, but it's a devil of a job to get the watch open yourself without the experience, dexterity and right tools.

LadyGracie Wed 26-Oct-16 12:56:55

Had one fitted in our local jeweller's a fortnight ago £5.40, gone up £1 in 6 months.

Sainsbury English butter went up 45p in a week. £1.60 to £2.05 for 500g!

merlotgran Wed 26-Oct-16 12:57:42

DH has just said that, JackyB.

I reminded him that the last time I bought a watch battery and asked him to fit it, he dropped it and it went down through a crack in the floorboards. hmm

Alima Wed 26-Oct-16 13:00:57

No, not because of Brexit. I bought a watch battery last year and it was around that price. They did fit it too though. Our local DIY shop used to sell and fit watch batteries but they got rid of their clamp thingy when a new shop opened nearby.

Melanie123 Wed 26-Oct-16 13:02:25

I have a watch which is waterproof and needs to be rescaled whenever the battery is changed. This is quite pricey at about £20. I did however pay for a "lifetime" of battery changes at Timpsons the shoe repair people a few years ago which has paid for itself and more.
I don't know if they still sell these deals but I know they are still honouring mine.

Wobblybits Wed 26-Oct-16 13:42:54

Watch batteries are typically 20 > 50 pence each online inc postage.

So any increase is down to the labour cost being charged, as even a 100 % increase in the cost of the battery does not make much difference.
I bought 12 Panasonic CR2032, which are one of the most expensive for £3.99 (33p each) a couple of weeks ago. CR2032 are used in lots of watches, scales , key fob, ukulele tuners etc, which is why I bought 12 (I don't have 12 watches)

Katek Wed 26-Oct-16 14:25:06

Just bought 10 cheapie 2032 for battery tealights used in panto.....99p! DH is the go to watch person round our way, he does minor watch repairs and battery replacement free as batteries are only pennies when bought in bulk.

Charleygirl Wed 26-Oct-16 14:37:59

I pay under a fiver to have my watch battery replaced. It is done by a small jewellery shop in the local shopping centre. He does an excellent business because his prices are so reasonable.

Jalima Wed 26-Oct-16 14:42:10

if you will insist on a Rolex merlotgran .....

DH does ours sometimes (£1.50) otherwise our local jeweller is £4.50

KatyK Wed 26-Oct-16 17:59:52

DH gets a pack of watch batteries (quite a few batteries in them) from the pound shop and replaces batteries for all and sundry!

chelseababy Wed 26-Oct-16 18:08:11

Consider a solar powered watch?

BlueBelle Wed 26-Oct-16 18:30:30

Like Charleygirl I pay under a fiver too

J52 Wed 26-Oct-16 18:35:32

I bought solar powered watches for DH and myself. Changing the batteries in waterproof watches were a real pain. Changing the time wasn't much better, as the seal had to be maintained.

Luckygirl Wed 26-Oct-16 18:36:14

Buy them on ebay and DIY! Costs peanuts.

Alima Wed 26-Oct-16 18:52:26

Not doable if you have a watch which needs the back removed/replaced with a special clamp thingy. (Did manage to remove such a back once. Blowed if I could put the thing back together though!)

Wobblybits Wed 26-Oct-16 18:56:23

Not always easy to change. Some watch backs screw off and you need some sort of tool (snipe nose pliers will do it), with snap off backs, they can be difficult to get back on. So unless you know what you are doing, let a shop do it. Places like Timpson don't charge a lot.

NanaandGrampy Wed 26-Oct-16 19:19:15

I have an Omega and the warranty is invalidated if anyone other than Omega do it...£75 gone in a heart beat !

Grandma2213 Thu 27-Oct-16 04:08:28

My son replaces mine for free. He has a market stall and I think he charges other customers £3. My watch is only a cheap one but he is unable to sort out some very expensive watches which have to go back to the manufacturers. I think that is a disgraceful rip off (*NanaandGrampy*) I wouldn't buy an expensive watch even if I had the money. After all they all only tell the time!

antheacarol Thu 27-Oct-16 09:52:41

My local jewellery shop replaces them for £1.

radicalnan Thu 27-Oct-16 09:55:21

Watches ?? How old are we?????????? People have phones now and watches are like relics of a by gone age.

I have neither, can't stand stuff cluttering my life up.

Lottielootron Thu 27-Oct-16 09:56:34

Stall on our twice weekly market does it for £3

floorflock Thu 27-Oct-16 10:02:49

I lost my battery operated watch whilst out shopping. Went crying back to the car and phoned hubby. He had bought it for me when we first met. He promptly took me to the jewellers and bought me another - which you wind up - no batteries. Wonderful.

harrigran Thu 27-Oct-16 10:05:48

Debenhams has a kiosk for battery replacement. A few years ago I took a watch, which was a freebie from a make-up company, and they charged me £10 shock my expensive watches go to a jewellers for batteries and I tell them not to worry about waterproofing, who in their right mind would go swimming with a gold watch on their wrist ?