Gransnet forums

Chat

Old Wives cures.

(92 Posts)
chicken Wed 26-Oct-16 16:14:36

I see that the medics have published a list of useless treatments. What about Old Wives cures that ACTUALLY WORK? I am plagued by night cramps in my feet and read about a weird trick to get rid of them, thought "What a load of rubbish" but then tried it out and, blow me down, it WORKED. What you have to do at the first sign of the cramp is press your finger really firmly on the groove between your nose and upper lip and maintain the pressure. After a short while, the pain fades away ( anyway 9 times out of 10 for me). I told a friend who was also a sufferer and it worked for her too. Saved us both the bother of getting out of bed and walking around on cold tiles! Has anyone else got any unlikely cures that do, in fact, work?

wiggle Wed 26-Oct-16 16:25:06

Yes! The only thing I have found that stops bad coughing at night is Vicks on the soles of the feet then covered by socks.

chicken Wed 26-Oct-16 16:29:38

Another one that has a long way to go before it gets to the action site!

Daddima Wed 26-Oct-16 17:11:31

My daughter in law is Irish, and her mammy knows people who have " the cure" for various ailments. Now I don't know what the exact procedure is, but I think you contact the " curer", and all is then well.

vampirequeen Wed 26-Oct-16 18:41:02

Magic sugar. As children we were told that if you bite your tongue and it bleeds eat a spoonful of magic(ordinary) sugar and the bleeding will stop.

As an adult I know about blood clotting and I'm sure the sudden sweet taste takes their minds off the pain/blood but it certainly works. The child calms down and the bleeding stops. Ergo it's definitely magic lol.

MargaretX Wed 26-Oct-16 19:24:41

That acupuncture pressure point at the base of the nose is useful for a lot of things. I suffered dizziness after a car accident and used it. I learned it from a Russian acupuncturist when she used it on me, when I felt faint during treatment.
The pressure has to be really hard and obviously it controls a lot of things. Or perhaps it turns the brain off for a few seconds. We will never know.....
There is point between thumb and first finger but I shall have to look that one up.

Purpledaffodil Wed 26-Oct-16 19:52:17

If we had a stye coming, DM would take off her wedding ring and gently stroke the stye with it. The stye would be gone by the next day. I did this a few times for pupils when I was a teacher ( probably a H and S rule somewhere forbidding it) It worked then too. Not sure why it worked, but. It had to be a wedding ring!

NanaandGrampy Wed 26-Oct-16 19:52:35

I used to get crippling migraines but I read about an acupressure technique, you massage the webbed part of skin between your thumb and first finger. I find that sometimes one side works and sometimes the other hand.

Perhaps 80% of the time it clears the pain enough to sleep it off.

grannypiper Thu 27-Oct-16 03:16:31

a spoonful of sugar stops hiccups

DaphneBroon Thu 27-Oct-16 08:27:29

Misread this and thought we were contributing some "old wives' curses "
phoenix - where are you? thlgrin]

Gagagran Thu 27-Oct-16 09:05:56

Mum used to put a cloth soaked in vinegar on my forehead if I was in bed ill and had a bad headache. She also put me in a bath with a packet of mustard powder "to bring out the spots" when I was sickening for chicken pox. Then there was the kaolin poultice on the chest for bronchitis and Fennings Fever Cure just to bring down the fever. Don't know if it did but it felt as if it had taken the enamel of my teeth!

MinniesMum Thu 27-Oct-16 09:32:50

Does anyone remember the Wrights candle treatment for bronchitis? A metal container with a stone block on which you poured a fluid with a nightlight underneath. I managed to get one when my son was small and it did the trick. I now use an oil burner with water and eucalyptus in the top and a nightlight underneath. That works too.
Very interested in the Nose and hand pressure points. I will mention it to my podiatrist who is also studying acupuncture.

radicalnan Thu 27-Oct-16 09:59:43

I miss the Wright Coal Tar burners they were fab, I think the fluid was poisonous and they became obsolete...........

I find a bag of hula Hoops helps with nausea, travel sick kids etc not sure why...........

HannahLoisLuke Thu 27-Oct-16 09:59:46

Oh yes, I remember the kaolin poultice, spread onto a muslin square and tied on. We also had home made cough mixture made from vinegar and black currant jam. Can't remember if either worked.

Meriel Thu 27-Oct-16 10:02:31

I'm English but live in Ireland. When I had shingles I visited a young man for 'the cure' which had been passed down to him through generations. He gave me a small pot of cream (no idea what it was) and my shingles went over the next few days. You pay what you want (€10). Perhaps it was just coincidence but who cares!

Craftycat Thu 27-Oct-16 10:25:24

A spoonful of peanut butter stops hiccups & a paste made of water & porridge oats gets rid of chicken pox spots REALLY quickly(squeeze the mixture through muslin or a pair of clean tights & use the 'goo' that comes out). Both tried &tested.

Gaggi3 Thu 27-Oct-16 10:28:19

My DM used to give me Parrish's Food, supposedly a tonic. All can remember is that I had to drink it through a straw as it made the teeth black! I shudder to think what it was made of - iron filings?

Bristololdtrout Thu 27-Oct-16 10:51:14

Chicken soup is medicine.

Kim19 Thu 27-Oct-16 10:54:47

I use the Vick foot rub cotton socks treatment and find it successful. Also my quirky one is a bar of toilet soap roving freely in bed as a solution for Tired Leg Syndrome. Phsychological? Maybe and I'll happily settle for that as I haven't had the problem since indulging. It was a nightmare regular discomfort.

Lupin Thu 27-Oct-16 11:01:42

The milky sap from chickweed got rid of a wart on my elbow once...or so I fondly believe. I was told that another name for chickweed is wartweed. I've never had another one either.

PRINTMISS Thu 27-Oct-16 11:28:12

Minniesmum I still have my burner, but no fluid, don't know why I am keeping it, old times sake perhaps, it was an absolute godsend when the children had awful coughs, (and me!) About warts, if you have two, and can possibly run them together (not always possible I agree) that too will quickly get rid of them, and mine have never returned.

JackyB Thu 27-Oct-16 11:36:10

Pressing on the point between your nose and top lip does really stop a sneeze.

Nelliemoser Thu 27-Oct-16 11:44:29

It is probably all in the mind but if it works I don't care either. Look what a "kiss better" does for a child.

MiniMouse Thu 27-Oct-16 12:29:46

Gaggi3 I remember being dosed up with Parish's Food, too! Yes, black teeth and tongue! Also Iron Jelloids for my DF and then for me when I was older. I've only recently realised that my DM insisted that we took these, but never did herself! hmm

Legs55 Thu 27-Oct-16 12:38:21

for "night cramps" corks under bottom sheet - must be proper corks not plastic ones. Works for me confused