Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a set of DVDs worth almost £200

(309 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

VirginiaGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 18-Mar-15 11:40:15

Attention all gransnetters, we're giving away a fabulous set of DVDs worth £199.42 courtesy of the lovely people at Twentieth Century Fox. The bundle includes a huge variety of films and television series such as Modern Family, Bones, The Fault in our Stars, The Book of Life and many more - perfect entertainment for all the family during a miserable month of April showers.

To be in with a chance of winning we want you to tell us which movie you would screen (and why) if you had your very own cinema for just one night. The more funny and outrageous the better. May the Force be with you all smile

*Congratulations trisher, you are the lucky winner. We LOVED the hilarious account of what you would have everyone do whilst screening South Pacific!*

magsb1 Wed 18-Mar-15 19:19:53

The goonies because I'm still a big kid and every one I know loves watching this film

mpsandy Wed 18-Mar-15 19:28:50

Fat Albert is a fun film about cartoon characters that come to life out of the TV. A film all the family would enjoy.

Anne58 Wed 18-Mar-15 19:45:48

The first film of "The Blues Brothers" brilliant cast plus great cameo appearances (spot Stephen Spielberg!) and of course a fantastic soundtrack!

That might be not the right film for all, I would then nominate "Oliver" a musical that doesn't have a single "duff" song, and which I always remember cuddling up to with my dearly beloved late ds2. Such a happy memory!

grandmaz Wed 18-Mar-15 19:50:46

I would screen The Beatles film, A Hard Days Night'. Entrance (which would be free!) would be restricted to persons wearing genuine 1960's gear - so backcomb those tresses girls, dig out your Mary Quant dresses and slick on the false eyelashes and that pale pink lippy! Shake out your purple velvet jackets and bellbottoms, guys and style your long moustaches - age is just a number and we are going to sing, twist and shout our way back in time to the Swinging Sixties!

It would be SUCH FUN!

Atrig Wed 18-Mar-15 20:20:45

Dirty Dancing because I just love watching Patrick Swayze.

tunde Wed 18-Mar-15 21:57:56

Jeremy from 1973. First-time love, what better?

Galen Wed 18-Mar-15 22:02:51

The return of the Jedi!
It's the last time I went to the cinema and I couldn't watch some of it! I was in my late thirties and I was the one who'd have been cowering behind the sofa if there'd been one!blush

Marmight Thu 19-Mar-15 03:52:53

The Deer Hunter. What an amazing cast! This time I would like to watch it from the comfort of the sofa and not from behind it grin

coffecup Thu 19-Mar-15 06:23:43

My film would have to be The Commitments just a film i can watch any time
one of the all time greats.

kittylester Thu 19-Mar-15 07:10:57

West Side Story. It's my all time favourite film. Our PE teacher told us to go the cinema to see it instead of homework, twice. My mother was disgusted but could do nothing about the fact that I was enjoying myself! grin

BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Thu 19-Mar-15 08:45:02

' Gone with the Wind ' My friend and I went to see it when we were 19. We bought it on DVD 45 years later and watched it together ( along with a couple of bottles of Prossecco ) We loved it every bit as much as when we first saw it
and were transported back to our youth, remembering when we both ended up in tears at the end. Shame we won't manage a repeat in another 45 years... even if we gave up cakes and chocolate, oh and Prossecco.

absam1 Thu 19-Mar-15 08:51:41

Adventures in Babysitting. It was a favourite film of my three children (even my son) in the 80s and though I used to say - 'Oh no - not that film again' - I actually used to love watching it too. Sadly, my eldest daughter Katie died from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning five years ago - age 31 - but now when I think of that film it brings such happy memories of my children and when I think of it I can see myself ironing on a Sunday evening while they're laughing so much at the same scenes from the film that they laughed at the week before - it really makes me smile. I'd love to be transported back to that time!

pamelaJEAN Thu 19-Mar-15 09:08:11

Mary Poppins , it has been a favourite for years, my daughters loved it... and now I watch it with my five grandchildren, they think I am a Mary Poppins charactor with magic powers..... the rooms after they have stayed magically tidy themselves.... when on the telephone to them... they bring toys to the phone for me to see.... or ask if they look pretty ...of course I would take the main part..... an aging Mary Poppins ........... Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

yourgrace123 Thu 19-Mar-15 09:11:31

one flew over the cuckoo,s nest,funny sad & very emotionlly entertaining.

Teetime Thu 19-Mar-15 09:53:30

The Addams family - all my family are featured in this film- we would dress up in the characters to watch it. I was Morticia in y heyday but am now sadly grandma. DH will forever be my devoted Gomez. Where do you go to find a man like that? as Morticia says ' it has to be damp'.

chloe1984 Thu 19-Mar-15 09:58:05

I would choose 'the African Queen' reason being every Christmas when we were children in the 1950/60s it was shown on the TV we ALWAYS had to watch it with my parents, assorted Aunts/Uncles cousins etc. a truly magical time that you never really appreciate as you aren't old or wise enough . I always pretended not to want to watch but secretly loved it and found it thrilling and still do. I would decorate the screening room with a smoking coal fire which wouldn't heat the room , homemade paper decorations, never enough comfortable seats, bottles of beer, a bottle of sherry and a box of unopened dates, and a huge bag of pick and mix from Woolworths. Sheer nostalgic bliss.

katherinelarkin Thu 19-Mar-15 10:04:11

I'd screen Little Miss Sunshine, Blue Valentine, Silver linings Playbook, Porridge the Movie and Steptoe and Son the Movie.

CPAT1 Thu 19-Mar-15 10:35:56

MUST BE TWINS WITH ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER AND DANNY DE VITO -
MY FAMILY HAVE GREAT MEMORIES OF THIS HILARIOUS FILM
MY LATE HUSBAND WHO HAD A VERY DRY SENSE OF HUMOUR LAUGHED SO HEARTILY WITH OUR TWO DAUGHTERS!!
THAT DANCE ROUTINE WITH THEIR GIRL- FRIENDS WAS FANTASTIC!!!

CPAT1 Thu 19-Mar-15 10:35:56

MY LATE HUSBAND WHO HAD A VERY DRY SENSE OF HUMOUR LAUGHED SO HEARTILY WITH OUR TWO DAUGHTERS!!

CPAT1 Thu 19-Mar-15 10:35:57

CPAT1 Thu 19-Mar-15 10:35:57

Lilygran Thu 19-Mar-15 10:46:55

Up. It's very moving about losing someone you love, and about getting old. It's uplifting about how a child's life can get better and it's very, very funny. And everyone in the family enjoys it!

SallySwann Thu 19-Mar-15 10:50:14

I would screen Fifty Shades of Grey so my wife and grown up daughters and all their friends who said they would not go and see it at the cinema (but really wanted to) could watch it without guilt!

shysal Thu 19-Mar-15 11:31:40

Gone With the Wind, because I would get more minutes viewing than for many films