Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win 1 of 12 subscriptions to Eco Kids Planet

(112 Posts)
VirginiaGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 22-Apr-15 10:00:49

Eco Kids Planet is a brilliant new magazine that teaches children about the intriguing wonders of the Earth, and we've got 12 annual subscriptions up for grabs. Aimed at boys and girls aged 7-11, it is filled with fascinating facts, picturesque photographs and exciting projects to enjoy. Each issue highlights a different part of the world, from the Amazon to Madagascar to the Arctic. To find out more about Eco Kids Planet please visit www.ecokidsplanet.co.uk.

Congratulations to GeminiJen, Karenusher, Strawberrinan, Larnipoo42, granh1, missdeke, GrannyE, balloon666, pamelaJEAN, Sararose, sparky61, and styles5433. You are the lucky winners! Please check your email inbox for further details.

Marmight Wed 22-Apr-15 10:53:55

I had Robin and then graduated to Girl. tbqh, I really don't remember any characters but I do remember reading an article in Girl about Chad Varah which has remained with me all these years and also one about Kathleen Ferrier who is one of my favourite operatic singers. Strange what stays with you confused. After I went to boarding school I was only allowed Look & Learn which I found boring, being a pubescent 11 year old grin.

nonnanna Wed 22-Apr-15 11:59:01

Oh yes, I had Look and Learn for years. Although Judy was my favourite, I used to read it on the garage roof away from my annoying little brother!

GeminiJen Wed 22-Apr-15 14:52:26

I loved the Beano and the Dandy. Favourite characters were Beryl the Peril, Dennis the Menace, Desperate Dan, Oor Wullie and the Broons.
I later moved on to the Girl magazine, but secretly preferred...and devoured... my brother's copy of the Eagle....

melonpanini Wed 22-Apr-15 15:43:23

I used to love Just Seventeen because of all the cool articles and stories.

bmteal Wed 22-Apr-15 15:43:39

I used to read Bunty and Jackie when i was a young girl.
My eldest Son loved the Beano and i remember collecting all The Joy of Knowledge books including all the index books for my younger Sons.
Cost me a fortune.

badgermum Wed 22-Apr-15 16:12:09

I loved Whizzer & Chips comic you used to get 'great' free gifts with them, or I thought they were great anyway, and my favourite character was Sid's snake

barrypage Wed 22-Apr-15 16:31:17

My favourite comic as a kid growing up in the early 80s was Eagle, featuring a wonderful mixture of photo stories and comic strips. My favourite characters were Dan Dare and Doomlord; the latter of whom was pretty terrifying but the stories were brilliant. Sadly they don't make them like that any more.

sophie56 Wed 22-Apr-15 16:31:22

I had a comic called Twinkle, I really liked it because there were a lot of tacky free gifts!

andywedge Wed 22-Apr-15 16:31:57

Can't beat The Beano
I had to get it every week and loved Dennis & Gnasher, The Bash Street Kids, Minnie the Minx, Rodger the Dodger. It was like mischief was acceptable.

durhamjen Wed 22-Apr-15 17:29:47

The Beano, after my brother had read it.
Our school really was like Bash Street.

bluebubblerose Wed 22-Apr-15 17:55:21

Robin hood, ideas were in the right place x

flossy1973 Wed 22-Apr-15 19:46:53

Beano, Jackie and buster were my favourites!

Annie29 Wed 22-Apr-15 21:25:24

I was lucky that my grandparents had a newsagents so got to read them all. My favourite was Jackie.

buchanl Wed 22-Apr-15 21:43:32

I love the Beano especially Minnie the Minx

freefan Wed 22-Apr-15 21:52:49

I used to get Mandy and Jackie, but secretly I used to read my brothers Dandy and Beano and so wanted to be Beryl the Pearl and get up to mischief smile

Versavisa Wed 22-Apr-15 21:59:47

I was a great Bunty fan. I can vividly remember reading the first issue as I walked back to school after lunch. My mother had bought it for me when she was shopping in the morning.

There was a free ladybird ring with it. I loved it and was very sad when it fell apart.

Thank you for awakening fond memories.

Tegan Wed 22-Apr-15 22:41:45

Bunty for me; I had a little Scottie dog that was free in one issue. I've got an old Bunty annual on the shelf behind me; I loved getting the annuals at Christmas.

galleyman Thu 23-Apr-15 14:15:53

Comics, when we could afford them or borrow old copies from friends, were the Dandy, Beano and the Topper. Occasionally I might be able to acquire an Eagle when collecting old newspapers/pop bottles from the neighbors to sell to the rag and bone man.

oldwalshy Thu 23-Apr-15 15:12:32

The Beano, Dennis the mennace

thebrums Thu 23-Apr-15 15:14:25

The Beano,Dennis reminded me soooo much of my Brother

plastigffantastig Thu 23-Apr-15 16:14:39

Dennis the Menace in the Beano - he could be as mischievous as I couldn't!

baubles Thu 23-Apr-15 18:37:19

Oh Versa I remember that ladybird ring!

My favourite was Bunty, I loved the dress the paper doll on the back cover, hours of pleasure to be had from that. Each episode of The Four Marys kept me enthralled. Along with Bunty there was Judy, but I had to wait till I'd left primary school before I was allowed to buy the Jackie though I'd been sneakily reading my friend's copy long before that. Christmas morning would not have been the same without the Bunty and Judy annuals.

We all read the Beano and Dandy and my brothers were bought the Eagle which I pinched when I'd finished mine. My father used to say I'd read the back of the cornflake box if there was nothing else.

Thanks for rekindling those memories. smile

karenusher Thu 23-Apr-15 19:56:22

I was a big fan of the Archie comic books. I loved Betty the most, I really wanted to be like Betty!!!! Thinking about it now, I would prefer to be like Veronica...she had the money!

ahargreavesuk Thu 23-Apr-15 20:24:02

I loved Beano, the character i liked the best was Gnasher the dog (Dennis the Menace was his friend in mischief).
Brilliant