Gransnet forums

Contact the elderly

Dreading Sundays and Bank Holidays

(38 Posts)
onlymee123 Wed 06-May-15 02:21:12

I wonder how many other widowed pensioners feel like me on Sundays and Bank Holidays, I do not drive and when my husband was alive he took me everywhere. When I moved to this village seven years ago, it was really nice, we had a village shop where we could go and get the Sunday Paper and odd bits of shopping even sit outside and enjoy a coffee on a sunny morning we also had a Sunday Bus Service, sadly 3 years ago the shop closed, and this year the Sunday Bus Service went, Taxis charge extra for Sundays making it £15 each way just for me to go to Town, where sometimes there are special events on Sundays and Bank Holidays, but for me and plenty of others who don't drive, its impossible to get there reasonably unless we want to walk the 4 mile each way. I thought of having a coach trip out on a Sunday but of course have to get to Town to get the coach. They call this progress, I have no family near me and have really come to dread Sundays.
I wish I could get a pill to send me to sleep on a Sunday and wake up on Monday or in the case of Bank Holiday, Tuesday. They call this a Free Country maybe it is, but only for Car Drivers I feel. I guess they call this progress.

suzied Wed 06-May-15 07:04:38

I am sorry you feel so cut off. Are there any neighbours in your village who you could share a a taxi with or get a lift into town with on a Sunday? Is there a church/ WI / local group of any kind who organise activities? Perhaps being a little proactive you could meet others who feel like you or who are willing to help you get out and about.

Leticia Wed 06-May-15 07:42:11

I bet there are other people in the village who feel the same and you could share a taxi and go out. I know a group in your position and they go out for lunch on Sundays.

Bogoff Wed 06-May-15 07:42:27

Try contacting your nearest Age UK, they may be able to suggest something as they will have local knowledge.

Nelliemoser Wed 06-May-15 07:57:11

onlymee123 I had similar feelings on Monday. All these happy jolly family groups wandering around a big garden centre.

I am lucky to be able to drive myself.

My OH makes it clear he is not interested and rarely gets ready in time to get out for a day out. Its almost better to stay at home on bank holidays and get out when you can.

Suzied suggestions sound good.

Pittcity Wed 06-May-15 08:07:14

What area are you in onlymee ? Maybe there are other gransnetters nearby who could organise something? Have you posted on your local site?

BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Wed 06-May-15 08:11:09

I am sorry too 123 that you feel so isolated. I was only thinking the other day when I heard that some Banks were open last Monday and intend to open more Bank Holidays, that I mourn the demise of 'old style' Bank Holidays when everything was shut and there was no transport at all. I don't know why!!! maybe just happy memories of us as a family having enforced days at home and doing things together. I know that is not the case now and I too have visited Garden Centres etc on such days and I can understand being alone and isolated it is a very different story. You don't mention how old you are or if you have mobility problems 123 I am just asking because up here in Scotland we have a 'Dial a Bus' scheme, run by local council, whereby you can order a bus for a certain time to pick you up, at or near to where you live. It does run on Sundays and Bank Holidays but not sure what criteria is needed. Maybe there is a scheme near you? It must be hard being isolated when you clearly enjoy getting out and about and I can empathise. Only other suggestion is the same as suzied to get together with some like minded neighbours and share a taxi. Sorry cannot offer any other ideas.

onlymee123 Wed 06-May-15 09:53:17

Hi again, thanks everyone, in answer, I am 70 and active and outgoing, I do go to the Church but even that only has a service once a fortnight. I am Ok most of the time, just trapped without transport evening, weekend and holidays, village things here are only during the week, well of course most people have families around them. Its not the back of beyond only 4 miles from Newark, I just think in this day and age and with the politicians all boasting of what they do for the elderly etc, there ought to be at least one bus in and one bus out on a Sunday, not only for the elderly but even youngsters can't get out of the village without lifts from Mum and Dad on these days, a bicycle or mobility scooter would be no use as there are no pavements on some parts of route and a large roundabout Of course there are more remote areas that probably have no puiblic transport at all, but just wanted to get things off my chest. I have spoken to other people in the village in tha same situation and they feel the same way, in reality we just plan to do chores on these days, but guess it is having juist got over one Bank Holiday and the other looming that feels me with dread.
Thank goodness foir internet shopping, I usually arrange a grocery delivery just to see a friendly face.

bikergran Wed 06-May-15 10:27:34

onlyme as op has said, have you friends in the village that you could get together or just mention about sharing a taxi somewhere, even if you don't know them that well you could still mention a trip out, maybe other are waiting for someone else to say something? and seeing as though there are a couple of Bank Holiday looming then now would be a good time to approach them, or a little add in the church notice board, it could be the start of something good smile

onlymee123 Wed 06-May-15 10:48:06

Hi Bikergran and all other helpful suggestions, yes I do have friends in the village but mostly other people have families near them, so are fixed up for the Weekends, hate to sound negative as I am usually a positive person, one ray of hope which I have found out this morning there is a special reduced Door to Door Taxi service, in the area which I will register on, only problem is you have to give 10 days notice, wowie this is a great forum lots of positive suggestions, don't like to moan really just looking for a way out of this paper bag situation smile

bikergran Wed 06-May-15 11:28:34

ok well that's a little step forward, also as we know when the bank holidays/Sunday are looming, then why not book the Taxi for one of those times, maybe try it out on a Sunday, you will then have something on your agenda to look forward too, and who knows in the mean time you just may come across someone to share with smile

bikergran Wed 06-May-15 11:30:20

not sure which area you are from, but Gnet does have meet ups! all over the place, but not sure how near to you the meet up would be, but keep your eye on the forum as they are announced in there. smile

onlymee123 Wed 06-May-15 11:36:03

Thanks of course am going to try it - anything is worth a try.

bikergran Wed 06-May-15 11:47:06

good !! smile you go girl .

NotTooOld Wed 06-May-15 13:53:24

onlymee123, glad you have some good suggestions to work on. Just a thought that might cheer you up - it is easy to assume everybody is having a wonderful time on Sundays and Bank Holidays but in reality there are lots of us, even with families, who live too far away to meet up and so spend the time on our own. My DH and I rarely go anywhere on Bank Hols as he says the traffic is too bad and we are better off at home.

rosesarered Wed 06-May-15 14:09:06

Same here asNotTooOld Mr Roses won't set off anywhere on a Bank Holiday further than our nearest town, though TBH our family all lives close anyway so we can see them if they are about.Mostly we are content to just potter about at home and do things during the week when it's quiet.
not having a Sunday bus service is poor though, we are lucky in that respect but I know friends who don't have a service either.

onlymee123 Wed 06-May-15 15:28:53

Yes, I know what you mean when my husband was alive we rarely did a Sunday/Bank Holiday trip, but we would mess in the garden together or do DIY, knowing we could just nip to Homebase or B and Q if we wanted anything, ah me things always look so rosy looking back. Anyway, enjoy it while you can, pottering about together may not be high living but its great, enjoy and thanks for reading my blog, had to get it off my chest.[Smile]

Falconbird Thu 07-May-15 07:01:14

I've never liked Bank Holidays. I think expectations are too high around them and people imagine that everyone else is having a wonderful time with family and friends. The same applies to Christmas as well.

When I was a young working women there were fewer Bank Holidays and Christmas was just Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Because of this we valued them much more.

There are too many adverts on TV about extended families getting together around tables groaning with food, or having a wonderful time at Bar-b-cues.

This may be a reality for some people but I don't think it is for the majority of us.

bikergran Thu 07-May-15 09:34:18

onlyme we do have a "widowhood" thread if that is of any help to you, (it's not all doom and gloom by the way, we like to have a smile]but do try and support each other at the same time., as with all the other threads on GN smile

NotTooOld Thu 07-May-15 13:31:32

Falconbird, I do so agree with you. I am already wondering about Christmas this year. It is the turn of my DD and family to be with the in-laws (fair enough, they live miles away and were on their own last year) and my DS and family, although nearby, prefer to spend the holiday on their own, so it looks like it will be just me and DH. I don't really mind, we are lucky to have each other I know, but I will feel sad nearer the time. Ridiculous, aren't I?

I wonder why there is the emphasis in the media on extended families nowadays (see Falconbird's post above) when the reality is that more and more people are living on their own and more and more families are more or less estranged from each other? And then, of course, there are the politicians banging on about 'hard working families'.

janerowena Thu 07-May-15 17:45:09

nottoo I hate them too, because DBH always has to work on bank holiday Mondays. He works in a big boarding school, and of course they have to just keep teaching. I met up with another wife yesterday who feels the same way, so in future we will do something together. I find it quite upsetting, especially for the first one in May, as there is usually something really nice going on everywhere you look, all sorts of activities but no-one to share it all with, as everyone I know always seems to have plans.

I expect, like me (I am often carless because DBH has car problems) you simply forget that taxis exist. If a taxi is all it takes to stave off feeling low, then it's worth paying the price.

rascal Thu 07-May-15 18:35:16

Yes Sundays and Bank Holidays can be difficult. Here is a link to a free phone call if it can help anyone. www.thesilverline.org.uk/

trendygran Thu 07-May-15 21:50:40

I feel just the same as you regarding Sundays and Bank Holidays, onlyme. I was widowed very suddenly in october 2008 and until then enjoyed a trip out somewhere most Sundays . I had to sell the car ,and house, after losing my DH and still feel isolated on Sundays and Bank Holidays . I have a DD, SIL,and 2 Grandchildren in the same city ,but they make it quite clear that Sunday is their 'Family Day, ' and that doesn't include me.
I keep as busy as possible during the week, with Volunteering. belonging to U3A and meeting friends ,but Sundays are just not the same. Occasionally some good friends
include me in a trip to a garden centre ,or similar, and I really appreciate that.
I know of several people who dread Sundays ,but through circumstances it isn't possible to meet up for company and conversation.
A married , very good friend, looked at me in a strange way when I remarked that I wish Sundays could be abolished! She has never lived alone and has a full life all the time.I dread to think how she would begin to cope on her own.

tanith Thu 07-May-15 21:58:09

An elderly friend who has been alone for 11 yrs says she no longer names her days... so Sunday is just another day and she treats it as such , she doesn't have much contact outside her home anyway so i guess its easier for her to just treat Sundays and Bank Holidays as 'another day'.

janerowena Fri 08-May-15 12:57:41

I can see why people end up going to church, to see friendly faces on a Sunday.