Gransnet forums

Contact the elderly

Hello

(35 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Fri 14-Nov-14 19:54:00

I'm not quite old enough to come to tea yet. I need a couple more years. But I could pretend to be seventyfive.

I like your logo. smile It is very clever.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 14-Nov-14 20:20:00

I don't think you've got very many people on your forum.

Unless they are all shy.

Elegran Fri 14-Nov-14 21:12:52

Maybe it is still new.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 14-Nov-14 21:24:43

Says here it was founded in 1965!

Ana Fri 14-Nov-14 21:36:17

Blimey, have you looked at their forums? They're all about serious health conditions and how to cope...there don't seem to be any lighthearted topics at all. Sad.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 14-Nov-14 21:51:44

Are you sure you're not looking at Patient UK forums? That would be all about illness.

Ana Fri 14-Nov-14 22:13:37

Oh yes...well, that's where your link took me.

Why have you started this thread anyway?

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 14-Nov-14 22:42:54

Well, I thought it was going to be like the Oldie Borum forum. People out there wanting to chat. But I don't think there is anyone there.

Ana Fri 14-Nov-14 22:45:44

But where did you see it? About Contact the Elderly?

I'm mystified confused

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 14-Nov-14 23:19:35

I looked under Forum Topics.

janeainsworth Fri 14-Nov-14 23:24:32

ana www.gransnet.com/forums/contact_the_elderly/1211643-Tea-party-recipes

Ana Fri 14-Nov-14 23:25:10

Oh, yes I see. Tea Party ideas.

They don't make it clear whether their members are going to participate or not, just asking for our opinions about making things go with a swing at their tea parties.

Ana Fri 14-Nov-14 23:25:49

(Yes, have got it now, jane! grin)

janeainsworth Sat 15-Nov-14 10:30:42

Oh good grin

durhamjen Sun 16-Nov-14 23:18:07

www.parliament.uk/edm/2014-15/361

Parliament takes it seriously enough.

Ana Sun 16-Nov-14 23:32:48

As I'm sure we all do.

moon

contactteas Mon 17-Nov-14 10:23:00

Hello! The charity was founded in 1965 but we are very new to Gransnet (only last week!) Thanks for joining us..

If you're far too young to come to a tea party we are always looking for volunteer drivers and hosts smile

contactteas Mon 17-Nov-14 10:23:29

www.contact-the-elderly.org.uk/become-a-volunteer/

NyreeA Sat 29-Nov-14 18:50:49

I'm a volunteer for Contact the Elderly in Peterborough (Cambs) and thought I'd post a quick message because I'm always on the look out for other volunteers in the area that might want to get involved by baking cakes, driving the older people to and from the tea parties or hosting the events in their homes.

I'm also always looking to make links with lonely older people who might want to attend a tea party. It sounds strange (or perhaps it doesn't) but the loneliest older people are the hardest to find. At the moment the group has all come to us via people we know - friends who have noticed a neighbour is alone a lot, or the manager of a local care home.

Please post a message if you want to get involved. And if you're not in Peterborough, there are ground running up and down the country: www.contact-the-elderly.org.uk/locations/

NyreeA Fri 05-Dec-14 12:18:53

Sorry - when I said there are 'ground running' I meant there are GROUPS running up and down the country!

Maniac Sun 07-Dec-14 14:24:13

Don't care for the sound of tea parties and card games for the elderly.Now in my 80s I've lived alone for 30 yrs.like my own company but have good friends and neighbours.
I go on weekly over 60s health walks- 1 mile/half an hour followed by tea/coffee.
I prefer gatherings with mixed ages.
As I'm denied contact with my only grandson(age 15) I'd like a teaparty with a few teenagers to chat with -maybe some who haven't got grandparents nearby.

contactteas Wed 21-Jan-15 09:36:32

Maniac, it sounds like you're very lucky to have good friends and neighbours around you. Our tea parties are always mixed ages, with many of our volunteers in their twenties and thirties. Lots of volunteers get in touch with us because they also miss contact with their grandparents.

rubylady Thu 22-Jan-15 01:32:53

My thought with regard to what these people can do before they dive into the cream teas is a sing-a-long. Doesn't most people enjoy a good sing and it would loosen the group up a bit and make everyone feel better before starting to chat over their tea. And they can all join in and then the room can be divided up by tables and they can have a sing off or when one group sings one line going onto second line, the next group sing first line etc, I can't remember what they are called? smile

absent Thu 22-Jan-15 05:29:37

Or, it might just be embarrassing?

Nelliemoser Wed 18-Mar-15 00:03:57

Ana There's an idea. A group of contact the elderly people having "swinging?" tea parties. That would liven up a few lives