Gransnet forums

Contact the elderly

Best volunteer moment

(14 Posts)
contactteas Tue 25-Aug-15 14:52:41

Being a volunteer can be a really rewarding and enjoyable experience, whether it’s for an organised charity like Contact the Elderly or just helping out around your local community.

What’s been your best and most rewarding moment as a volunteer? Or, alternatively, what has been the best thing a volunteer has ever done for you?

contrarymary Tue 25-Aug-15 22:18:38

Befriending the lonely and isolated folk by visiting them regularly and sometimes taking them out for coffee or something else has been such a blessing. Also, working to support people struggling with poverty has been heart rending but at the same time inspirational. With a little support and encouragement, people deal with and overcome awful situations and many are so appreciative of our help. sunshine

PRINTMISS Wed 26-Aug-15 11:21:06

I ran and helped run a 'Gateway Club' a leisure club for young people with learning disabilities. Never thought I would do something like that, but the pleasure it gave me is beyond words, and I think two of the best things that were said about the club were that everyone was so happy, and it was just like a family. Nothing to do with me, just they way they were.

ninathenana Wed 26-Aug-15 11:43:34

It's very satisfying to know that, if only in a small way you helped a child learn to read.

Anniebach Wed 26-Aug-15 12:29:02

I do a soup run over Christmas and New Year for the elderly and decorate a Christmas tree outside a block of four flats for four disabled people , don't like going up there twice every evening to switch the lights on then off but when the lights go on it's worth it.

Help run a drop in centre 365 days a year where anyone with mental health problems can come to for a chat, play board games, Cook, and work in the allotment we rent from the council and hold them if they cry.

Help with a church run group, we take any household goods and give them to people who need them

grannyactivist Wed 26-Aug-15 12:39:30

Difficult one this, but I think it's when my two Afghan students asked if I would be their mother and they came to live with me. (I'm a TESOL teacher and had been giving them free language lessons each week.)
I love the voluntary work I do and I benefit hugely from it.

Ariadne Wed 26-Aug-15 13:35:32

Visiting one of our water projects in Africa and taking some seedlings as a gift - the reaction of the women on the farm was incredibly - dancing, hugs and big, big smiles. And the seedlings had been an afterthought!

kittylester Wed 26-Aug-15 14:04:52

When someone says thank you for helping them when all along I've been doing something I really enjoy! smile

rosesarered Wed 26-Aug-15 14:12:06

One afternoon a week, I help out at my local charity shop, we have a good range of books there, and an old lady ( older than me!) who comes in a lot for books and takes ages choosing, told me that she tries to come in when I am there as I take the trouble to help her find books that have large enough print for her. She is quite finicky about how black the type is and how large etc.Made all the effort worthwhile.

NyreeA Fri 28-Aug-15 16:04:41

I'm actually a volunteer for Contact the Elderly, organising the monthly tea parties in Peterborough. My best moment so far has to be when Joan, 92 said: "When I was young, I used to wonder why old people talked so much. Now I realise that it's because they don't often get the chance and just want to make the most of it." It showed me how much the tea parties are appreciated :-)

contactteas Tue 01-Sep-15 15:04:37

These stories are so heart warming to read. It's so true that you can make a big difference to someone with a small gesture. We wouldn't be able to help so many older people without our 7,700 fantastic volunteers, every one of which we treasure.

Has anyone made new friendships with a volunteer or a person you help?

Elizabeth1 Wed 02-Sep-15 06:25:13

I volunteer with the RVS driving people to hospital appointments etc. my most recent one was when I took a 90 + lady to see a private consultant and he was real lush. We had a good chat in the car for about 35 minutes each way. Had a tasty coffee in the plush waiting room. Saw the consultant then returned home. On arriving home the lady was asked by an interested carer if she'd had a good day to which she replied " it was b...... awful" I couldn't resist a cheeky wee smile to myself. Of course you would have had to be there as my daughter often says. wink

cornergran Wed 02-Sep-15 07:16:14

Seeing the joy on the faces of a child and their absent parent as they catch sight of each other at the Contact Centre.

contactteas Wed 23-Sep-15 14:00:17

Elizabeth1 that's a great story, and one we had to smile at too! It's easy to forget that we can all offer help to the other generations no matter how small, and for things like hospital appointments especially, it's great that they can rely on volunteers like you to get there.

Volunteering is a heartwarming experience, and we love hearing all your stories and experiences, so keep them coming!!

If someone was unsure about volunteering, what would you tell them to convince them it's the best thing to do?