Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

what do you play?

(36 Posts)
boheminan Wed 30-Jul-14 23:00:04

I just wondered how many people on GN play a musical instrument? I've recently taken up with the whistlegrin which I'm really enjoying learning to play - I already play the bodhran and sing. Anyone else out there a plucker/thumper/tooter/squeezer?

Grannyknot Wed 30-Jul-14 23:04:24

I'm a plonker (I play piano - but I'm quite rusty these days).

grannyactivist Wed 30-Jul-14 23:06:14

....the fool? grin

merlotgran Wed 30-Jul-14 23:09:44

piano - also rusty, harmonica and recorder (you never forget your first instrument)

boheminan Wed 30-Jul-14 23:15:51

Sorry Grannyknot I forgot to mention the plonkers!!!grin

Granny23 Wed 30-Jul-14 23:52:48

I come from a musical family - DM played piano, my Dsis played guitar and I married a drummer, but unfortunately I seemed to take after my DF whose proud boast was that 'The only thing I can play is a record player, but I do that very well.' smile I have tried and tried, practiced and practiced on piano, guitar, banjo, drums, vibraphone - all to no avail. My hands and feet just do not follow the instructions sent by my brain. When I sang with a folk group, I could not even be trusted to shake a tambourine consistently. Both our DDs are musical (currently playing in a steel band), both sons in law are talented musicians and our DGC are showing signs of musical talent too. There is much talk of forming a family band but when I asked what my role would be I was told I could be the Roadie grin

absent Thu 31-Jul-14 06:35:54

I used to play quite a lot of instruments but it has been many years since I touched any of them. However, I have never been able to understand where anyone even starts when there are no keys or frets - I couldn't begin to understand how to play a violin or cello. I have always had a craving to play the harp and saxophone and I really love it if I am let loose on an organ. (Let's not be rude here ladies!) These days, my gin-sodden vocal cords are all I have left - today we sang the wheels on the bus about a hundred times.

Aka Thu 31-Jul-14 07:19:50

I play the piano. I like playing an eclectic mixture of pieces, some from the classics and others from songs currently popular with the GC such as 'Let it Go' from Frozen.

Linda1952 Thu 31-Jul-14 16:13:26

I used to play the recorder pretty well... And have had the yearning for a while now to try the clarinet. Any tips on how to find someone that could point me in the right direction to find info on how to choose an instrument and tutor suitable for a 'senior'

NancyDrew Thu 31-Jul-14 16:27:51

I played in a 12-strong recorder ensemble until 2 years ago and we played a wide range of music from Tudor recorder music to modern day stuff. I play the piano and sing in a choir so I think I do manage to exercise my music gene. DGD plays the piano, clarinet and guitar and is very good.

NancyDrew Thu 31-Jul-14 16:28:45

Linda1952 have you tried your local U3A?

goldengirl Thu 31-Jul-14 16:28:57

I enjoy the piano from time to time but I'm half as good as I used to be -a real case of use it or lose it! I've also enjoyed fiddling around with a saxophone in the past, a guitar, a pipe organ and the ubiquitous recorder. The GC generally don't play an instrument although one is learning the violin - boy is that painful to hear!!!

boheminan Thu 31-Jul-14 16:34:38

Anyone picked up a ukulele lately? (tongue twister there!). A couple of uke playing friends are very enthusiastic about their new found artistic talents and have gone on to join local Ukulele Orchestras….

janerowena Fri 01-Aug-14 01:20:10

Piano and flute, but years ago now. The rest of my family play regularly though. I think I just gave up trying to find a slot to fit myself in. Between them, apart from me, two play flute, three play piano, one plays clarinet, one plays organ and we all sing. DS is studying music so he plays all sorts of things, plus guitar which I keep forgetting about.

DBH used to be a Head of Music so it's not surprising really, and he and DS are ex-choristers of Winchester and Canterbury. DBH still sings at Bury St.Edmunds as a lay clerk.

We are all in several choirs each.

janerowena Fri 01-Aug-14 01:21:38

A friend of mine would dearly like to start up a ukulele orchestra locally, but the craze doesn't seem to have reached north Suffolk.

rockgran Fri 01-Aug-14 07:42:28

I play guitar (hence the name) in a band occasionally (60s stuff etc.). I also play piano and recently took up the concertina. I find my hands are getting a bit painful these days so my musical days may be numbered. The voice is a bit unpredictable too. My DH plays accordion (too often if you ask me!).

hildajenniJ Fri 01-Aug-14 08:31:49

I played the violin at school, but haven't played anything since. I used to sing in the Carlisle Choral Society, but had to leave when I took a night job. I love listening to music, but am rather handicapped by the DH who is tone deaf and takes no interest whatsoever.

Soupy Fri 01-Aug-14 08:47:45

I play a melodeon but very poorly!

Will be taking it with me to a couple of Folk Festivals this summer but still at the beginner level for workshops.

Must try harder!

Marmight Fri 01-Aug-14 08:49:33

Piano - very badly, probably as I haven't owned a piano for about 20 years. Am contemplating buying one and 'learning' again. Also sing but voice descending southwards these days - may have to join the Bass section shock

suebailey1 Fri 01-Aug-14 10:04:25

As Michelle Pfeiffer said my instrument is my voice (imagine I am saying that in lofty tones) I used to sing a bit that's all.smile

AlieOxon Fri 01-Aug-14 11:03:27

I got into a singing group recently - U3A. It's great, I am missing it at the moment in the holidays.

Used to play guitar and sing in the 60s/70s but broke my right wrist a few years ago and also have problems with my left arm since breast op....

So...got myself an electronic keyboard and I am TRYING to play it, but find it really difficult to concentrate. Perhaps when other stresses get less, I will be able to practice, just now about five minutes will do my head in!

Nonnie Fri 01-Aug-14 11:06:15

I sing but I'm the only one who enjoys it! I play a mean kazoo. Yes, that's it!

Crow Fri 01-Aug-14 11:15:13

I played the piano, emphasis on played.
Sons play piano and guitar, daughter piano and violin.
GCs trombone and french horn.
DH and both DSs all choristers.
Much much music in our family.

feetlebaum Fri 01-Aug-14 11:27:51

I can't play anything now, but for a quarter of a century I played clarinet, the saxophones (baritone, tenor, alto and soprano - mostly tenor) and flute (badly).

Since those days, loss of teeth and half a lung have rather put the kybosh on it! And with a frozen shoulder, conducting is out too... which is a pity. We used to say 'you're never out of tune when you're waving a stick...'

Mishap Fri 01-Aug-14 13:06:35

Flute, recorder, Piano (self-taught, so pretty basic) and voice, voice voice!

What a wonderful enhancement of life music really is.