Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Going it alone.

(118 Posts)
rubylady Sat 25-Jun-16 05:06:40

I really do want to go to the Ab Fab film but have no one to go with. Do other GNers go to the cinema/theatre on their own?

I also want to go and see Jenny Eclair at a theatre nearby in September. I have wanted to see her for a while but I do feel a bit wierd going by myself. I just wish I had someone to go with and share some fun time. smile

Leticia Sat 25-Jun-16 05:27:16

Just go for it! Lots of people go on their own. I have done it.

YankeeGran Sat 25-Jun-16 07:31:11

DH and I went to see "Me Before You" yesterday at the cinema and I saw several women come in on their own. I think it's now much more common than it used to be. Do what you want!

ginny Sat 25-Jun-16 08:39:03

Yes, go on your own. I often do. There is no law against it.
I think a lot of people who say they don't like to go places on their own are actually just worried that others will think they are odd and / or have no friends. Who cares what they think .

merlotgran Sat 25-Jun-16 08:44:12

When I saw the OP I thought it was another referendum thread grin

Hope you enjoy the film, ruby

gettingonabit Sat 25-Jun-16 08:45:40

Yes, go on your own. And have a wine while you're there.

Greyduster Sat 25-Jun-16 09:01:18

By all means go on your own, and enjoy the film. I used to go to choral concerts on my own, as choral music is not DH's bag.

dogsdinner Sat 25-Jun-16 09:21:33

I nearly always go on my own, having no one to go with!

ninathenana Sat 25-Jun-16 09:28:36

Do it !!

Luckygirl Sat 25-Jun-16 09:37:24

I nearly always go to things on my own - occasionally with a friend, but if I can find no-one else wanting to go then I have no problem going on my own.

OH never did like going out, even before he got his PD.

I usually find someone nice to chat to - and I love meeting new people.

M0nica Sat 25-Jun-16 10:04:22

I have no qualms at all about going to anything by myself and never have had. It is quite often very nice to be able to enjoy things exactly how you want to do them without having to think of anyone else.

rubylady Sun 26-Jun-16 04:04:15

Thanks to all. I have been to the cinema before on my own and that was lovely actually, like M0nica said, I didn't have to consider anyone else's comfort and could just enjoy it myself. So going to the cinema doesn't really bother me, on my own, but going to the theatre on my own is a bit more daunting, due to the interval and sitting on my own nursing a drink, looking like Billy No Mates. Maybe I am getting to a stage now that I am ready to meet someone new, special, in my life? I have been single for over 10 years.

BlueBelle Sun 26-Jun-16 07:08:15

Yes go on your own I agree with you its harder at the theatre because its more of a social thing but better than missing something Dont fall for a man just for a theatre companion safer to find a girlfriend less damaging I ve been on my own nearly 20 years and it aint happening now so I ve accepted that and cant see me sharing my home with an old man ( haha)

cornergran Sun 26-Jun-16 08:10:09

ruby last time I was at the theatre there was a woman on her own in the row in front. She had an aisle seat, spoke to everyone who went past her and looked so relaxed. Once everyone was seated how could anyone else know she was alone? I never budge from my seat in the interval, DH always goes walkabout, if anyone looked like Billy no mates it was me as the neighbour of the woman in front also stayed in their seat. Be brave, what's the worst that can happen? smile.

tiredoldwoman Sun 26-Jun-16 09:05:42

Yes, I go to things on my own , too . Cinema's the best , you can watch the whole film better without someone yapping beside you ! Buy a coffee and enjoy it . Yes , the first time I did it I felt self conscious but grew to enjoy it ! The Railway Man was on last night , that was one I'd promised my friend I'd go to see with her , but she died suddenly before we saw it and is now buried in the cemetery that the wedding scene was filmed in . I went to the film for her . Made it special .

patsy15 Sun 26-Jun-16 09:06:24

I have started to go alone to the cinema . It's ok . Still leaves the huge issue of having no one to share so many of life's exoeriences with . My children think I should be content to sit alone at home most nights of the week and most of the weekend and make it clear they disapprove of me needing a relationship. I am a very active 62 year old and a full time working professional woman. I haven't had a relationship for 8 years and when I started one recently they gave me hell.

Cirenvenus Sun 26-Jun-16 09:08:08

Just do it! I have no qualms about going anywhere on my own, even go on holiday solo, if nobody wants to accompany me. I enjoy opportunity to talk to new people I meet on my travels be it to cinema, theatre, concert or Africa, Vietnam or France, to name a few. Go girl!

tiredoldwoman Sun 26-Jun-16 09:08:36

Yes, ditto , Patsy ! I've been asked out for a walk next Sunday and am not going to tell my kids ! Why do they do that , they don't want us , but at the same time , don't want anyone else to have us ?

Soniah Sun 26-Jun-16 09:12:05

What the hell has it to do with them Patsy H? They should be supporting you.

patsy15 Sun 26-Jun-16 09:12:18

Well I am wanted now to babysit the grandson but you are right my younger son , the most disapproving , only sees me as and when it totally suits him . They are 29 and 33 and you think they wd have grown up by now

Soniah Sun 26-Jun-16 09:12:43

Patsy 15 I meant!

Angela1961 Sun 26-Jun-16 09:17:11

The worse that could happen is that you feel a little lonely. The best that could happen is that you see other people enjoying themselves by their self, that you have fun and a laugh,gain self confidence by doing it,learn something new and have a brilliant time. What are you waiting for ?

libertylola Sun 26-Jun-16 09:17:25

I recently went to the cinema on my own for the first time and recommend it, it is quite liberating, the freedom to go when you like is great and once the film starts it is fine, go for it.

Soniah Sun 26-Jun-16 09:17:42

Patsy 15 you are a young woman, with potentially another thirty years in front of you, too long to be alone if you don't want to be

ajanela Sun 26-Jun-16 09:17:49

I often go on my own, Would never have done a few years ago. But having done it once, I would rather go on my own than miss the film or theatre show.

Often end up chatting to the person next to me in the theatre and in the cinema not really any time to talk once the film has starts.

Also sometimes it is a bother to ring people and make arrangements especially as at the theatre you can go and buy a last minute seat cheaper or the film may have be on its last day.