Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Horizon - intermittent fasting diet.

(165 Posts)
shysal Tue 07-Aug-12 13:08:47

Did anyone see the Horizon programme last night? I was very impressed with the health benefits shown, as well as the weight loss. I would recommend anybody concerned about their health as they age to watch on iplayer. There are several patterns of 'fasting' that were mentioned. I thought the alternate day one might suit me. You eat 500 calories (600 for men) on the fast day and anything you like on the next, and so on. I have ordered a book from Amazon and I will let you know how I get on! cupcake

jeni Mon 12-Nov-12 18:15:26

grin

Ana Mon 12-Nov-12 18:24:19

Can't help it - it doesn't make sense! grin

chelsea Fri 14-Dec-12 19:07:56

hello gransnetters! happy Friday!

Sorry I went radio silent! I have been trying the one meal a day thing for 2 months now, dropped 2 dress sizes! My skin feels softer too. It does make you younger I think. Well, you have to try it to "feel" it for yourself :-)

It's not just about weight. It's about feeling great too. My mind feels so young, but I want my body to feel the same too!! We are lucky that so much research on this is being done at the moment: IF, cold thermogenesis, even yoga! I am surprised Harvard scientists managed to get funding for this type of research lately. Maybe the scientists want to live a longer and healthier live too! LoL

I stopped doing yoga a year ago because of neck pain... but after reading this I think I will start again, I am inspired! healthdivas.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/can-you-influence-your-dna-to-get.html

Sorry for all the links, but if you do have some time to read these articles they are worth the while:

Can coffee help you live longer?
healthdivas.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/can-coffee-help-you-live-longer.html

Is coffee good for you? Harvard tell us it might have some health benefits
healthdivas.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/can-you-influence-your-dna-to-get.html

Cold exposure increases cell longevity
healthdivas.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/can-cold-exposure-help-you-slim-down.html

Can you keep your body and brain biologically young?
healthdivas.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/how-can-you-keep-your-body-and-brain.html

I am currently experimenting with the cold thermogenesis too. I just make sure my chest, hands and feet are really warm all the time.

If you have more research articles, please share it you guys, I love this geeky stuff.

Have a lovely weekend!

Chelsea

margrete Mon 17-Dec-12 11:23:16

I was recommended to read Dr John Briffa's 'Escape the Diet Trap'. This is very easy to read although science-based - if you don't want to read all the science you can just read the summaries at the end of each chapter. I did that and I'm now going back through it from the beginning. Basically he advocates a 'primal' diet (although he does his best to avoid the word 'diet'!) i.e. what our species evolved to eat in all the millennia that we were hunter-gatherers. Farming, development of wheats and grains etc is of comparatively recent origin - think 10,000 years or so - and certainly, our remote ancestors would have been used to 'intermittent fasting' when food was simply not available.

We have been given a lot of wrong information over the past few years, about the supposed bad effects of red meat, of eggs, and of natural fats like butter. Also about cholesterol and statins.

If you can't do 'intermittent fasting' he suggests omitting one meal, either e.g breakfast or dinner. Also 'intermittent fasting' implies eating a small amount, not eating nothing at all. Toast won't keep you going but some protein will stave off hunger for a long time.

Acecake Tue 05-Feb-13 13:34:13

Hello I am new to this site as I am a new Nana. I too have been doing 5 2 diet for about 3 weeks and have lost around 4lbs and feel great. I eat a small bowl of porridge for breakfast an apple and black coffee for lunch and either veg soup or fish and veg for dinner.
I do wonder however if I go too long without food I.e. Monday eve finish dinner around 7.00 no food till breakfast on fast day,food as above on fast day then no food till Wednesday morning? That is about 36 hours fast.? My next fast day is Thursday. Does anyone else do the same or have I got it wrong?

nanapug Tue 05-Feb-13 13:51:54

That is what I do Acecake but maybe we are both wrong. I have only just started and must confess I was a bit peeved at having a fast day yesterday and it not showing on the scales this morning. Maybe someone who has been doing it longer will tell us. I think I am a little impatient!!
Congratulations on becoming a new Nana and welcome to the site by the way smile

Acecake Tue 05-Feb-13 15:56:52

Thanks for the welcome. I too am impatient but I am sure I read somewhere that you may appear not to loose or even gain at the very beginning, it is just your body getting used to fasting. I have to say that it is a lot easier than constantly and boringly (not sure if that's a word) counting calories! Determined to be a slim Nanasmile. Just love being a Nana.

nanapug Tue 05-Feb-13 16:02:31

Yes Acecake, I do like it when I go to bed after a fasting day and remember I can eat "normally" the next day. Am trying very hard to be more sensible on my non fasting days (says she munching on a Twix ;)).
I think being a Nana is a real privilege. I love my two DDs but am "in love" with my four GC.

Acecake Tue 05-Feb-13 16:31:36

Nanapug you apparently have to eat a twix whilst looking in the mirror then there are NO calories...or is that just the reflection confused!!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 06-Feb-13 14:43:08

If anyone is doing the 5:2/fasting diet and fancies writing a blog for us about it do let us know - just email [email protected] - we would love to hear in more depth about the good bits, the bad bits and how it's all working out

nanapug Wed 06-Feb-13 14:53:42

Acecake, is that the same rule that says if you eat something off someone else's plate there are no calories in it ;)

shysal Thu 07-Feb-13 11:26:07

Nor does it count if you are standing at an open fridge! wink

worlie Thu 28-Feb-13 16:37:16

can someone tell me where I can get this diet as I missed the horizon showing, thanks

shysal Thu 28-Feb-13 17:26:48

The book written by the Horizon presenter is available on Amazon, but there are lots of others available too. fast diet
There is another thread going on this subject - see 5:2 diet.
Good luck if you give it a try.