Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

5:2 Fasting Diet

(381 Posts)
GrandmaH Tue 29-Jan-13 15:41:08

Has anyone else tried this or is trying it now?
I started today & it looks too easy to be true.
I missed all the hype last summer & only heard about it in Rado Times last week so i would love to hear from anyone who has tried it.
First day of fasting & to be honest I feel quite normal but then I often forget lunch anyway if I'm busy.
I cannot believe how much weight I have managed to put on in a year following some family problems- typical comfort eater! Now I need to get myself in hand quickly.

rioja Mon 17-Feb-14 12:20:15

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/ - it sounds like a good idea!!
If anyone wants to know anything about the 5:2diet this is the website to log onto - it's the official one, and there is lots of information, it gives you the facts and obviously any tips can be shared here on the forum.
I do fast somedays (i.e.miss breakfast&lunch) when I am just busy out and about and have been on a calorie counting diet since Jan 6th, and have lost just over a stone and I think after over indulging at the weekend a couple of fasting days would be to try. So today is my first fast day . I have put on so much weight and just had to take myself in hand, so far so good!!! > Good Luck all <

mrsrabbit Tue 25-Feb-14 21:37:29

Started 5:2 yesterday and survived with 500 calories and was very surprised to wake up this morning not really feeling hungry and had breakfast eventually 11ish. Has anyone noticed a reduction in appetite this quickly?

shysal Wed 26-Feb-14 08:47:29

Yes mrsrabbit, I was expecting to be ravenous on the morning following a fast day but, like you, found that it was not so.
Good luck, hope you achieve the results you are after.
It has been a year of maintenance for me after losing 2.5 stone doing alternate days. I do need to shed a bit more weight, so will start soon to be stricter on fast days. I have found that 600-700cals has allowed me to stay the same and eat very well on eating days. I have never before kept weight off for so long. At last I have found a regime for life!

mrsrabbit Thu 27-Feb-14 08:28:38

Thanks for the encouragement smile

boheminan Fri 18-Jul-14 01:07:41

As this thread's become a bit stale, I was wondering how folk are finding the 5:2 diet a few months on? I'm curious because I've just started on it again (third time) and I'm hoping this time I'll be able to stick with it.

I have Tues, Thurs & Sundays as my fast days - which is working fine apart from the fact that I only lose around 3lbs every month - which I get very disheartened about, then the dreaded 'plateau' is upon me, and after eating very strictly for 12 weeks, losing around 7lb..nothing more happens - until in a fit of pique I go and eat a normal meal on a fast day and find I put on nearly 2lb (which is a mystery as the weight of the meal itself wouldn't come to thatgrin

Are others succeeding on this regime?