Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Seeing doctor about my binge eating

(204 Posts)
Antjexix Wed 27-Apr-16 16:02:35

Today I have finally admitted to myself that I have a problem with binge eating. I spoke to DH and DD about it and have made an appointment with my doctor. I have been going to Slimming World for about 2 yeras now and have lost a stone and a half. I am not overly big( size 12-14) but I'm worried things will get out of hand. I have not lost any weight for the last year and feel I'm just wasting my money. Other people can eat in a normal way,surely I can too?!

Antjexix Wed 27-Apr-16 18:28:40

Anyone else been through this??

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 27-Apr-16 18:37:30

How tall are you? confused Size 12-14 is quite enviable. Unless you are very short.

Kittye Wed 27-Apr-16 18:40:31

Wish I was size 12-14 envy

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 27-Apr-16 18:48:29

Have you stopped dieting now? Maybe you are taking it too far and your body is actually crying out for nourishment. Perhaps you now need to start following a balanced diet. The NHS Eatwell Plate is a good place to start.

Antjexix Wed 27-Apr-16 18:48:43

I'm 5'6 . It's not so much my size that bothers me but the uncontrolled eating..

Antjexix Wed 27-Apr-16 18:50:20

I have stopped diet thinking that maybe I feel too deprived of certain foods and then when I do eat it I turn into a pig.

obieone Wed 27-Apr-16 18:52:34

If you think a problem is out of control, I think you are wise to see your GP.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 27-Apr-16 19:08:48

I can only suggest having only healthy foods in the house. Never have chocolate, cakes or biscuits in the cupboards. It's what I do. Just have a treat at the weekend. Make sure you eat enough protein for the fuller feeling.

Not sure what a doctor can do. Unless there is a dietician at your surgery.

Iam64 Wed 27-Apr-16 19:37:39

Your size and height sound perfectly fine to me. Do you binge and vomit, or have a very restricted diet followed by bingeing. It sounds as though its dominating your life, I hope your doctor can give some sensible advice.

Antjexix Wed 27-Apr-16 19:54:31

I don't vomit although I feel terribly sick

obieone Wed 27-Apr-16 19:59:28

I thought there was a dietician ar every surgery.
And assume that all GPs know what to do and advise.

FarNorth Wed 27-Apr-16 20:00:16

Would Slimming World have any advice? Some others of their slimmers must be / have been binge eaters.
Good idea to speak to your doctor, tho.

Ana Wed 27-Apr-16 20:04:48

There certainly isn't a dietician at my surgery - they have to refer you to the local hospital.

Antjexix it doesn't sound as though your're obese, or even overweight. Perhaps your anxiety about your eating habits is the problem, in which case yes, see your GP. It's making you unhappy, so it needs sorting.

Ana Wed 27-Apr-16 20:07:05

Actually, reading my post back it sounds a bit trite - of course your eating habits are the problem, but I was meaning that there may be a psychological aspect to it which could be sorted by a referral by your GP.

rosesarered Wed 27-Apr-16 20:28:04

Your size and height are excellent, but eating until you feel sick means there is an underlying problem, so yes, see your GP.Also try and think when and why you are eating, what set it off for example.?

Jalima Wed 27-Apr-16 20:53:48

If you are 5' 6" and a size 12-14 and eating a lot then I would think your metabolism is fine.
Is your body deprived of certain vitamins or nutrients? That could cause binge eating. A good balanced diet and a course of vitamins and minerals including Vit D could be the answer.
Perhaps you feel sick because you have an intolerance to one or other of the foods that you are eating.

I wish I was size 12 again .....

Jalima Wed 27-Apr-16 20:54:36

Perhaps you need five small meals a day - DD felt better when she tried that.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 27-Apr-16 21:04:35

If it's not making you obese, or even overweight, and at size 12-14 it's obviously not, I don't think you can expect a doctor to give you time. Most doctors are overworked from having too many sick people to attend to. You just need to develop strategies. And find some self control.

FarNorth Wed 27-Apr-16 21:10:21

That should be easy then.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 27-Apr-16 21:12:04

No. Not easy, But what can a doctor do? Especially if there are no health problems.

Antjexix Wed 27-Apr-16 23:40:50

I'm gonna go and see if he could give me some advice. It's not like I see him every week. I go to my doctors once a year...If that. Maybe I need a shrink hmm

rubylady Thu 28-Apr-16 01:18:31

It's helped me a bit by going dairy free. I now have more savoury than sweet because most sweet things contain milk or butter. My IBS has settled a bit too. So if I want something sweet, then it's fruit or lactofree desserts which are low calorie. I've lost a bit of weight but I don't feel now like I am overeating or stuffing myself. Any takeaway is divided by two days.

Also, you might need to do something to take your mind off food. Find hobbies, do something that takes some time, a jigsaw or gardening or go out for a drive to an antique centre, anything to get your mind elsewhere and just eat then at meal times and then just eat until the hunger has gone, no more, leave the rest. Put washing up liquid on it and then you can't finish it off. And drink plenty of water. Good luck. smile

rubylady Thu 28-Apr-16 01:21:03

For the first time ever I threw half a Mars bar in the bin the other day, really wasn't enjoying it so it had to go.

Antjexix Thu 28-Apr-16 08:11:04

Thank you for all your comments. After reading it up on the NHS website it actually states that it could be a mental illness with underlying problems. I don't just gorge on unhealthy food,but also on things like bread, cheese, chips and even bananas. As long as it is a big quantity,I want to eat it...and I want to eat it all. Still going to the doctor as he is very good and thorough and might refer me. My stage of having self control and leaving half for later is long gone.