Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Trying to loose weight AGAIN

(42 Posts)
Calypso8 Thu 28-Jul-16 08:41:23

I usually start my day with a healthy breakfast natural fat free Greek yogurt and fresh fruit , but now I,m not sure what sort of yogurt I should be having regarding the sugar content , fat free , low fat , full fat . I,m getting realy confused ?

BBbevan Thu 28-Jul-16 08:44:21

Full fat Greek. Low fat has loads of sugar in it

ginny Thu 28-Jul-16 11:09:45

I think you have to look at the overall amount and type of food you are eating not just worry about one item. I am following Slimming world and people say ' Oh I thought you were on a diet' when they see what I eat. It's certainly working for me (2st. 10lbs. so far). The thing is not to think of it as a diet but a way of eating and enjoying your food.

sluttygran Thu 28-Jul-16 11:18:42

I do so agree, ginny I have followed Slimming World for over 20 years and remain size 10-12. I'm not a very 'clubby' sort of person, so I just get the magazine and do my own thing. It's true what you say - there's plenty of nice big meals to eat and it's basically just healthy eating.

Teetime Thu 28-Jul-16 12:00:59

I have allowed some extra weight to come on so last week started Slimming World again. The plan includes 0% Activia yogurts and 0% greek yogurt as 'free foods' which I love (they include others but they must be counted0. I lost 6 lbs in the first week and have done it before so it suits me and works well. The problem is I backslide every now and then especially with cheese, wine , chocolate and restaurant meals so its back on the plan for me.

shysal Thu 28-Jul-16 12:45:17

I have gained a few pounds recently, through being a bit less careful. I BLAME PHOENIX, because she recommended Lidl salted caramel Cornetto-style ice creams! They are delicious and became almost a necessity when the weather was so hot. blush I am pleased to say that I am now back on track with alternate day dieting, and have returned to low carb.

nanaK54 Thu 28-Jul-16 13:11:59

Another Slimming World fan here - really works and is painless

M0nica Thu 28-Jul-16 15:51:09

Loosing weight is a question of the overall mix of food you eat over a day and its calorie content, so stop worrying about what yoghurt to eat Calypso8 and look at your overall eating pattern.

In theory you could go on a diet where all you ate were Mars bars providing you didn't eat more than three or four a day and did not eat or drink anything else with calories in it.

I have never been a Slimming World member, but I buy the magazine for all the recipes. I lost 2 stone several years ago on the 5;2 diet and have not put it back on, not because I am fussy about which yoghurt I eat but because I have adjusted my overall eating pattern so that I do not eat more than I need.

grannylyn65 Thu 28-Jul-16 15:56:46

Shysal you can have the rest of my salted caramel from Lidl ?!!

BBbevan Thu 28-Jul-16 16:09:32

Shysal try Oppo icecream from Waitrose They do a salted caramel Ideal for LCHF

silverlining48 Thu 28-Jul-16 16:22:44

I lost 1.5 stones with slimming world over 3 years ago and have maintained this loss but would like/ need to lose more but finding it difficult. I still take care and weigh every week.
On the weeks i am really careful and dont overdo the treats i can still remain the same or even increase by a pound, yet after 2 weeks recently on holiday, enjoying daily alcohol, ice creams, the odd cake and even a few chips plus too much bread , and with very littke exercise ( too hot) i gained just one pound over the whole 2 weeks.
Now how can that be? There's nought so queer as food optimising!
I have today booked 3 weeks in cuba in the new year to celebrate husband's 70th, with elements of all inclusive which is making me nervous but not a lot as now is the time to see a bit more of the world while we are still fit enough. feeling excited.

shysal Thu 28-Jul-16 17:13:45

Thanks for the tip BB. No local Waitrose, but I might make a special trip!
Didn't you like it Grannylyn? I wish I could say the same. I think they are about 200 calories each, could be worse!

BlueBelle Thu 28-Jul-16 18:17:20

I lost a stone with slimming world and gained it all back after I left I was really eating so little to lose the weight I have decided I m ok as I am and it just isn't worth the pain any more

ginny Thu 28-Jul-16 19:45:09

Not sure why you were eating very little on SW. I find I'm eating more and really feel real hunger, but of course I'm eating filling and nutritious food. You can eat to little and then your body thinks it has to hang on to fat supplies in case they are needed as food is in short supply.

ginny Thu 28-Jul-16 20:14:13

That should say rrely feel real hunger.

ginny Thu 28-Jul-16 20:14:50

RARELY !!!!!

honeypot43 Sun 07-Aug-16 15:41:57

Confused and fed up, I didn't think I looked too bad for my age but saw myself in photo yesterday and saw fat person with faded hair. I obviously must be finding the right place to put my makeup mirror where light is kinder and long mirror on wardrobe where clothes look longer. I must try harder to lose weight but have good appetite, full fat yoghurt butter and eggs in moderation make you feel fuller, love fish specially stir fry with coloured veg specially the oil. Have read that all these things are good and stop cravings for chips and cake etc, but I must be reading the wrong articles

Cosafina Sun 07-Aug-16 18:57:47

I follow the Food Doctor and always lose weight with him - but, although he tells you to only follow his rules 20%of the time, I find myself deciding it's ok to have chocolate 100%of the time... confused

Cosafina Sun 07-Aug-16 18:58:33

Sorry, he tells you to follow his rules 80% of the time, not 20!

NonnaAnnie Sun 07-Aug-16 19:14:24

I've lost 6lbs painlessly over the last few weeks with the Intermittent Fasting Diet.

jamesclear.com/the-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting

When I was young and very slim this was the way I ate, it was natural to me then and I'm adapting to it easily now. If it gets rid of my squidgy bits, I will be happy.

Craftycat Sun 07-Aug-16 19:27:52

5:2 Fasting diet is good for me. I must get back to it but with DGC here more often in holidays it is hard. Great holiday in Greece which followed 8 weeks of no exercise due to broken foot has piled on lbs!

grannylyn65 Sun 07-Aug-16 20:16:45

Not really an icecream fan, quite like the clotted cream one though !!

Happygran65 Sun 07-Aug-16 20:33:39

Thanks for the comments about the Slimmimg World magazine. I have just subscribed to it and look forward to receiving my first copy.

winifred01 Sun 07-Aug-16 20:41:36

5-2 diet for me. Lost 3 st. gradually and have kept the weight off. Wish I had known about it years ago, have had a battle for decades.

Sunny75 Sun 07-Aug-16 20:54:22

I joined a gym which does a 30 minute circuit ladies only which helped inches and fitness then 18 months ago I changed my eating pattern. Unlike slimming world. I eat full fat Greek yoghurt, that is only a small part of an overall eating plan Mediterranean type diet minimal carbs. No low fat too much sugar! Lost 36 inches and 2 stone managed not to put it back yet.
We have to remember as we get older we can't just eat like we may have been able to in our younger days. I have heard winifred01 the 5-2 is good maybe that will be my next plan.