Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Anyone Out There With A Completely Flat Stomach?

(110 Posts)
gettingonabit Thu 28-Jul-16 11:25:05

I've lost a bit of weight over the last few months, which I'm pleased about. I'm also more toned, and feel fitter than I have for a while.

I used to be a size 10 with a completely flat stomach and no fat around my middle. Over the past couple of years however pads of fat have crept onto my hips and I've developed an unsightly "gunt" which is not shifting. Not yet, anyway.

Does anyone else possess one of these pesky stubborn things? If so, have you succeeded in getting rid? Or am I stuck with it now?

I'm 56. Perhaps it's an age thing....

DaphneBroon Thu 28-Jul-16 11:26:26

If there is, they're lying (you can breathe out now)

gillybob Thu 28-Jul-16 11:32:28

I too am a size 10-12 gettingonabit. I weigh about nine and a half stones (maybe a touch more) but could lose another 2 stones and still have a round, wobbly belly. I'm 54 so perhaps it is an age thing. My sister is 50 and has a nice flat tummy but she never had any children. I wonder if maybe it's because the muscles have gone relaxed, due to carrying babies? Grrrr.

Jay586 Thu 28-Jul-16 11:51:49

You have peak muscle tone around age 18/19, so even if you're the same weight now as then, it's probable that you were smaller then as muscle takes up much less space.

Body composition does change over a lifetime, particularly if you lose weight (fat & muscle mass) and then gain weight (just gain fat unless you've trained). So it might be that you have a higher % of fat than when younger and if you're remotely stressed or your hormones aren't optimal, then it's likely to be round the tummy.

I've never had a flat tummy and so I'll shut up now. :-)

TriciaF Thu 28-Jul-16 11:54:43

I don't understand those sizes. I'm about 5'4 and only weigh 55kg (about 8st 9) and I take size 12-14.
I have a small tum but not flat.

Teetime Thu 28-Jul-16 11:56:52

Yes I e a perfectly toned abdomen long lean legs and perfectly toned arms-- oops sorry another daydream I am a dumpling!!

Nonnie Thu 28-Jul-16 12:05:14

I have 2 DiLs with perfectly flat tums and one of them is a Mum. I am size 12 with lots of wobbly bits but always feel enormous when they are here. Their husbands are trim too.

DaphneBroon Thu 28-Jul-16 12:05:24

teetime you and I must be twins!! Did you mention the 24" waist, the legs up to here, the swan like neck and glossy tumbling locks?
Thank god for t'Internet and anonymity!!

Anya Thu 28-Jul-16 12:15:36

This is really weird, because just over the last couple of months I've been aware of wobbly bits accumulating around my middle and nothing will shift them.

I've not put any weight on, in fact I weigh less than I did a year ago, but it think my derriere has shifted upwards and forwards at the same time my bosoms are shifting downwards.

Would standing on my head for long periods of time be an option and return my bits to their former placement d'you think?

hmm confused

Jane10 Thu 28-Jul-16 12:22:06

Good idea Anya! I'm a walking festival of flab. Recent exertions have led to my core muscles firming up a lot but this just makes me more aware of the jelly wobbling about on top of them! Och!

gettingonabit Thu 28-Jul-16 12:22:59

gilly maybe it's something to do with carrying kids, but my stomach flattened back to its pre-dd condition quite quickly.

I'm.annoyed because it's stopping me getting into 12 trousers.

miep Thu 28-Jul-16 12:26:57

I wish I did have a flat tum, but no such luck. It's not flab all round, just my tummy. I have had 4 operations that split me from navel to err..down there somewhere and 2 of these were in the past year. So I blame the 3 kids, the ops and the fact that I am now 57. Lucky I'm not looking for someone to share my life!

suzied Thu 28-Jul-16 12:31:58

I'm fairly slim and fit, but have a wobbly tum. Doesn't worry me, can pull it in if I don't breathe out!

nanaK54 Thu 28-Jul-16 13:08:51

Oh I wish!?

Willow500 Thu 28-Jul-16 13:29:44

I've never had a flat tum - even at 8 stone the pouch was always there no matter how many sit ups I did - 2 kids early in life I suppose. I'm 62 weigh around 9.5 stone now and its not going anywhere so I've given up worrying about it - just wear clothes that disguise now grin

grannylyn65 Thu 28-Jul-16 14:52:14

What in Gods name is a gunt????

Tizliz Thu 28-Jul-16 15:12:49

TriciaF I agree that sizes/body shapes are strange. I am 5'2" and weigh 54kg but I only take a size 10 or very small. If I could rid of my tum I would probably fit into a size 8, but I have always had a large waist.

DaphneBroon Thu 28-Jul-16 15:15:46

Sounds like a conflation of two words, one of which I think,we aren't allowed to mention on GN
The other might be gut
hmmgrin

gettingonabit Thu 28-Jul-16 15:40:08

Got it in one, daphnegrin.

Rowantree Thu 28-Jul-16 16:11:20

I'm very envious of those who state they're size 10-14 or even 16. I am ashamed to state my size but recently I managed to lose enough weight to fit into some clothes which are size 16. Now, after an indulgent holiday, I'm a blob of glup again and trying hard to lose the lard. Flabby upper arms, legs like pork sausages and stomach swinging like an elephant's nuts - what a pretty sight. NOT.:-(

gettingonabit Thu 28-Jul-16 16:27:21

You can do it, rowantree.

gettingonabit Thu 28-Jul-16 16:29:43

suzied I can't suck mine in, which makes me wonder if I'm stuck with it.

Auntieflo Thu 28-Jul-16 17:20:32

Does anyone remember Terry Wogan on his Fight the Flab? He used to mention something like standing in front of a mirror and watching all the bits wobble.

whitewave Thu 28-Jul-16 17:29:32

The lowest I've ever been in my life was a 14 and that was after going through a period f stress and not eating for months. When I was young I was always a size 16 now I'm a large 18. Always watching my weight but not with any huge success!! Well since Christmas lost a stone as joining DH in his pre diabetic diet. I actually don't really mind but feel I ought to for health reasons. Saying that I've never been told to lose weight by the doctor.

Rowantree Fri 29-Jul-16 10:48:16

My GP told me I was 'a bit tubby' which is an understatement. I used to be tiny when I was young, with a poor appetite. When I met my OH I gradually and unconsciously matched my food intake to his, which wasn't good. Years of waiting in hospital waiting rooms, comfort-eating and so on after the birth of DD2 who had severe health problems - all of that didn't help and I steadily put on a lot of weight to the point when I was very overweight and my MIL started commenting. I've been struggling with my weight for years, conscious of the health implications. I don't want to die early or have a stroke any more than anyone else, but sometimes emotional issues and comfort eating overcome good sense.
In my case, that is!