Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Anyone got a recipe for something to stop the munchies?

(62 Posts)
peaceatlast Fri 19-Aug-16 19:26:41

To try and reduce the pressure on my joints, I'm trying to lose a pound or so a week. I'm 5'5" tall, weighing in at 13st 5lbs. By Christmas I would like to be around 12st if possible.
I'm managing to reduce my portions/calories but I do like a little treat with a cuppa once a day. Yesterday I made a fat free fruit loaf which is lovely but it includes quite a bit of sugar and flour so I still have to be careful.
I'm looking for a tasty cake/loaf recipe which is as filling, but healthy as I can find. I'm hoping one of you fellow grandparents can conjure up just the thing, lol.

gettingonabit Fri 19-Aug-16 19:37:25

I make banana bread, which is sometimes quite successful. No added sugar. Definitely filling like a brick.

M0nica Fri 19-Aug-16 19:42:58

Why not a biscuit? Shop around, find one to your taste with as few calories as possible.

gettingonabit Fri 19-Aug-16 20:06:06

Rich Tea are low in calories (for a biscuit). 50cals, I think.

suzied Fri 19-Aug-16 20:07:42

Why don't you just have an apple or a banana? This is my snack of choice.

Cherrytree59 Fri 19-Aug-16 20:51:20

An individual meringue nest topped with fat free yogurt and sliced strawberries (or other fruit if you prefer).

A curly wurly takes quite a long time to eat

Or mini bag of malteasers (sp?)

For a nibble whilst watching tV
What about dicing up an apple and/or a pear with a few raisins. & Put in a little tupperware box.
Or add to some natural yogurt

A small natural yogurt with little bit of Honey added

Sliced banana on rice cake

Good luck

Jalima Fri 19-Aug-16 20:55:42

Why don't you just have an apple or a banana?
it's just not the same, is it!

I think trying to do without is quite good training for putting a sweet tooth firmly behind you. smile

Sez me, all virtuous, now I want a biccie.
It's comfort food.
I found knitting in the evenings took my mind off any munchies.

Jalima Fri 19-Aug-16 20:56:38

A few nuts and dried fruit, eg dried pineapple, mango etc

However, quite high in calories

Linsco56 Fri 19-Aug-16 21:03:32

Have a munch on raw carrot batons or celery sticks or a few frozen seedless grapes or if you feel the need for something sweet try an Options hot chocolate drink at 39 calories.

NotTooOld Fri 19-Aug-16 21:03:59

I'm also trying to cut down on sugar but I'm sick of the sight of fruit. Gettingonabit - can we have your banana bread recipe, please? I've two ripe bananas sitting in the fruit bowl right now that I could use.

fourormore Fri 19-Aug-16 21:21:17

Try recording your food intake on My Fitness Pal - I found that quite useful as during the day I would enter two choc digestives or similar 'naughty'such as a mug of hot chocolate - then those calories would immediately be included in my daily total allowance. By keeping inside the allowance throughout the day I could look forward and enjoy the 'naughty' without feeling guilty or doing any damage.
Don't forget to add any exercise you do onto your My Fitness Pal as they allow you extra calories depending upon what exercise you do and that really helps too!
Good luck!

Tegan Fri 19-Aug-16 21:21:59

When they have offers on I buy Brazil nuts and bags of cranberries and blueberries from Holland and Barret. Brazil nuts are quite satisfying as they take a lot of chewing and the berries satisfy my occasional sweet tooth.

DaphneBroon Fri 19-Aug-16 21:32:31

I used to enjoy anything when I was desperate-- a poor man's "scone with clotted cream and jam " - a Ryvita with low fat Philly and a smidgen of raspberry jam , as I said, desperate times call for desperate measures.grin

Jayh Fri 19-Aug-16 23:37:24

Have you tried the 5 minute rule? If you want a snack wait 5 minutes and then if you still want it, eat it. Mostly you will find the notion has passed. This works for me.

cazzajen Sat 27-Aug-16 17:20:27

I buy a bar of normal chocolate, break into cubes then freeze them. In the evening I just suck on a frozen square-I don't feel as if I'm depriving myself and it's a low cal treat, it takes ages to suck a frozen square.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 27-Aug-16 18:33:44

I have just made a cake which I am hoping will be healthy and a bit nice.

I put 4oz rice flour and 4oz SR flour with 1 teasp baking powder in bowl. Rubbed in 4oz olive oil margarine. Added 2oz caster sugar. Added 3 eggs. Then added a small packet of ground almonds and half a tub of glace cherries. Extra bit of milk to make it right consisency.

Baked for 10 minutes. Put some sliced lime peel on top. Baked for another 30 mins or.

Made recipe up. Looks ok. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 27-Aug-16 18:34:24

(that's glace lime peel!)

Lindill49 Sat 27-Aug-16 19:26:32

I find a cup of tea and small biscuit stops me thinking about food for an hour or so. Likewise a thimbleful of red wine.

chelseababy Sat 27-Aug-16 19:48:29

Hartley 10 cal jelly? (Or make up your own with some fruit in)

obieone Sat 27-Aug-16 21:45:18

I tried to google low fat cakes but couldnt find many. So is it a misnomer[cant think what the right word for it is at this time of night].

Ana Sat 27-Aug-16 21:48:21

A thimbleful of wine??? grin

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 27-Aug-16 21:59:01

I just tried a bit of my cake. Some went down the wrong way. I think I came close to dying.

Not the cake's fault.

alicebandit Sat 27-Aug-16 22:07:59

Trying to combine clean eating with a modified Slimming World diet, I invented a sort of cookie/cake mix which is satisfying (to me anyway!). Basic slag is 35g rolled porridge oats mixed with a beaten egg. To this add anything you like or feel you can get away with really - cinnamon (good for diabetics)or ground ginger or mixed spice, skim milk powder, cocoa, raisins, seeds and so on. Mix to a fairly stiff consistency, adding a drop of milk if necessary, and either spread out like a giant cookie on a m/w plate, or divide into the six cups of a silicone baking tray. Whichever you use, nuke it in the m/w for 3-5 minutes. Very filling and healthy and can be tasty. You could also add something like Fage yogurt to the top of the cookie type and a handful of berries! I do sometimes use it as a meal in itself...

Nelliemoser Sat 27-Aug-16 22:12:09

peaceatlast I am sorry but I cannot see how looking for cake recipes will do anything to help your weight. That is a complete non starter.
Try to avoid all snacking, if you must snack try just a couple of rich tea bicuits they are about the least calories Take a warm unsweetened drink or something.

If you are worried about your weight it's the overall carbohydrates you need to worry about as the starch in flour etc converts to sugars in your body. I know its very hard but you do need to be realistic about this.

Anya Sat 27-Aug-16 22:16:42

Buy some tiger nuts if you really must snack.